“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is a good, solid hotel where the staff tries hard to meet your needs. The price is very reasonable. The location in Hillcrest is convenient to almost everything, with plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance. It is not a tourist location, but more of a real neighborhood. The suite was spacious, clean and comfortable, the bathroom was clean and up to date, the bed was very comfortable, the tvs were new. There is a free breakfast every morning, plus a coffee maker in your room, and a kitchen, should you be inclined to cook. The pool area is small, but nice (the pool is only 3' deep). The people at the desk are pleasant and very interested in helping you out. The free cookies at the desk are delish. The hotel itself is quiet, especially at night, but the area is a bit noisy because there is a big hospital around the corner. I didn't find it a problem. This was my second stay, and I don't think I will stay anywhere else in San Diego.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
San Diego, Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The 2 bedroom 2 bath, full kitchen with washer/dryer was huge and suited us perfectly as we were traveling with our 2 adults sons. After one and a half weeks in Asia the convenience of a washer and dryer in the apartment was great. Note: it seemed to take forever for things to dry. I finally noticed there was a water receptacle. Once I empty it, I think it solved the problem. The only other issues, were that the were smudges on the door frames and I forgot it included breakfast and the reception did not point out the voucher. We walked out the first morning and missed our breakfast. That evening I noticed the vouchers, Small issue. The hotel have pretty grounds and it is a nice area with embassies around.

Niagara Falls, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The staff here at Sommerset Suites were extremely friendly and helpful. The room was clean and housekeeping always went the extra mile to accommodate us. Bonita and Ian were very professional and courteous, they made us feel at home immediately. Our vacation was exceptional because of the staff we met during our stay.
A wonderful lady named Martha greeted us with a smile every morning for the continental breakfast and was quick to ask us what we would like for breakfast. Also the Social Hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays was a nice touch. We will definitely stay here every time we visit San Diego.
Thank you!!!

Room Tip: If you are staying a while choose the suite, it has all the comforts of home.
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I have given up looking for a better deal in San Diego. Our grandkids love the attitude of the staff when they use the pool and swipe cookies. Each time we stay with them, it's look a family reunion (in the good sense). The housekeeping staff can't do enough for you, and are total sweethearts. These guys are seriously geared to steadily improve, which is hard to imagine how they could go more miles for you. By the way, there are so many reasonable, excellent restaurants in the area (Asian of various sorts, barbecue, NY deli, you name it. It's just a fun area (at least for a 76-yr. old geezer like me). Seriously, this suite hotel is at the top of its game.

Room Tip: The rooms are virtual identical, so I have no recommendations. Safety is a high priority everywhere...
Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for five days in November 2012. We traveled with three children, and loved all of the space the hotels rooms here offer. We were upgraded to an executive suite upon arrival, so we had a nice corner room. The noise from freeway and hospital weren't too bad... we took some white noise machines since my kids sleep with them on at night anyway, and if there was any noise those completely covered it up. I used the laundromat on the 4th floor as well, and it worked perfectly to get some laundry done before heading home :) The lady that runs the breakfast is so nice!!

Room Tip: We were in a corner suite and didn't have problems with noise at night.
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Sommerset Suites for only 2 nights in mid October. They were very welcoming and the room was immaculate. I was worried from reading some of the reviews about the location since it seats between two hospital buildings but I was not bothered by any noise. The location is closer to the Hillcrest bar/restaurant scene than I had expected. I would definitely stay here the next time I travel to San Diego! I liked that they offered a pass to the fitness center although I did not take it up. The only thing I would have liked was an scrambled egg/omelet station in the morning continental breakfast.

Room Tip: I stayed in one bedroom along side pool. Since it was a bit cool out no one was swimming, so there i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two kids (three and a half and six months old.) You get a bedroom, living room and small kitchen. For the price we paid, it's awesome, but it is by no means a luxury hotel. The staff is nice, the room is spacious and clean, and the location is really great - right in downtown. You can get to lots of restaurants by foot or with two minutes in the car, and there's a whole foods right around the corner so you can spend the money you save on the room there. Although I wouldn't cook a mutlicourse meal in the kitchen, it was fine for warming up baby food or making sandwiches to take with us for lunch. Full size fridge, oven and range, dishwasher, along with basic pots and pans, etc. Wifi was free and parking was $7 per day.

Now, the negatives: breakfast is pretty weak. They have those waffle irons that allow you to make your own waffles, but everything else is cold. Cold hard boiled eggs are the only protein, so no scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage. Basically, they don't have a kitchen, so it's cereal, previously frozen bagels, yogurt, etc. We made sausage in our room to take with us. But the lady helping with breakfast (Martha) was great, and super friendly. There's a hospital next door, so there are sirens from time to time. The pool is pretty small and not as warm as we'd hoped. We didn't have a safe in our room until we called to ask, and once it was installed it was too small for a laptop, but they let us leave it behind the desk each day. The two-bed room is not two queens - I'm not sure what they are, but they're wider than twins and narrower than queens. Two people can sleep in it, but it's tight to put the baby in between, which we are able to do fine in a queen.

I will definitely stay here next time I'm in San Diego. It's so great to have the suite with the kids, so we don't all have to go to bed at 8:30. I would recommend it to anyone, except maybe someone on their wedding night or something. The location is great great great. There are large flat screen tvs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, but no dvd player or tv guide, and very limited channels. They had fruity water and free cookies in the lobby. There is a computer and printer that you can use for free. Some very expensive hotels we've stayed in have charged for everything, from wifi to printing, but this place includes it for free.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Liz P, Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear CTSolutions, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I have shared your comments with all of my staff and they are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have also passed your thoughts regarding the continental breakfast to upper management. I agree with you Martha is wonderful, she is actually one of our star employees! I will hope to see you and your family in the near future here at Sommerset Suites.

Liz Panter

Been to Sommerset Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!