“Great for families!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Mesa, Arizona
“Great for families!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for five days in November 2012. We traveled with three children, and loved all of the space the hotels rooms here offer. We were upgraded to an executive suite upon arrival, so we had a nice corner room. The noise from freeway and hospital weren't too bad... we took some white noise machines since my kids sleep with them on at night anyway, and if there was any noise those completely covered it up. I used the laundromat on the 4th floor as well, and it worked perfectly to get some laundry done before heading home :) The lady that runs the breakfast is so nice!!

Room Tip: We were in a corner suite and didn't have problems with noise at night.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed at the Sommerset Suites for only 2 nights in mid October. They were very welcoming and the room was immaculate. I was worried from reading some of the reviews about the location since it seats between two hospital buildings but I was not bothered by any noise. The location is closer to the Hillcrest bar/restaurant scene than I had expected. I would definitely stay here the next time I travel to San Diego! I liked that they offered a pass to the fitness center although I did not take it up. The only thing I would have liked was an scrambled egg/omelet station in the morning continental breakfast.

Room Tip: I stayed in one bedroom along side pool. Since it was a bit cool out no one was swimming, so there i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Huntington Beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed here with my husband and two kids (three and a half and six months old.) You get a bedroom, living room and small kitchen. For the price we paid, it's awesome, but it is by no means a luxury hotel. The staff is nice, the room is spacious and clean, and the location is really great - right in downtown. You can get to lots of restaurants by foot or with two minutes in the car, and there's a whole foods right around the corner so you can spend the money you save on the room there. Although I wouldn't cook a mutlicourse meal in the kitchen, it was fine for warming up baby food or making sandwiches to take with us for lunch. Full size fridge, oven and range, dishwasher, along with basic pots and pans, etc. Wifi was free and parking was $7 per day.

Now, the negatives: breakfast is pretty weak. They have those waffle irons that allow you to make your own waffles, but everything else is cold. Cold hard boiled eggs are the only protein, so no scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage. Basically, they don't have a kitchen, so it's cereal, previously frozen bagels, yogurt, etc. We made sausage in our room to take with us. But the lady helping with breakfast (Martha) was great, and super friendly. There's a hospital next door, so there are sirens from time to time. The pool is pretty small and not as warm as we'd hoped. We didn't have a safe in our room until we called to ask, and once it was installed it was too small for a laptop, but they let us leave it behind the desk each day. The two-bed room is not two queens - I'm not sure what they are, but they're wider than twins and narrower than queens. Two people can sleep in it, but it's tight to put the baby in between, which we are able to do fine in a queen.

I will definitely stay here next time I'm in San Diego. It's so great to have the suite with the kids, so we don't all have to go to bed at 8:30. I would recommend it to anyone, except maybe someone on their wedding night or something. The location is great great great. There are large flat screen tvs, one in the living room and one in the bedroom, but no dvd player or tv guide, and very limited channels. They had fruity water and free cookies in the lobby. There is a computer and printer that you can use for free. Some very expensive hotels we've stayed in have charged for everything, from wifi to printing, but this place includes it for free.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Liz P, Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear CTSolutions, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I have shared your comments with all of my staff and they are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have also passed your thoughts regarding the continental breakfast to upper management. I agree with you Martha is wonderful, she is actually one of our star employees! I will hope to see you and your family in the near future here at Sommerset Suites.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I chose Sommerset for our hotel stay during our destination beach wedding. The staff there were very accomodating, they arranged a special group rate for all my guests and made it very easy for everyone to book their rooms. The hotel was very easy to find, was located near tons of food, bars, and shops within walking distance. The only bad thing was that there is a hospital next door. As long as you sleep with the door/windows closed you don't hear any sirens at night. The one bedroom suites are roomy, clean, and the beds were very comfortable! Overall, my guests and I were very happy with our stay at this very cozy hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear foxunderwood, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. The staff and I are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I noticed your comment regarding the sirens and I agree they can be annoying. We have upgraded the windows in the bedrooms to cut the noise dramatically and hopefully in the near future we will upgrade the windows in the living area as well. I hope to welcome you back here at Sommerset Suites in the near future.

Regards,
Tasmania, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here in for three nights. Check in was efficient and friendly. Our room was nice and spacious and very clean. The breakfast lady was wonderful and very helpful and attentive every morning, our kids loved her. This is clearly a place where lots of professionals stay, we rarely saw any other families. The pool looked good (if small) but we didn't get the opportunity to try it out. There are all sorts of lovely restaurants walking distance away and all the major attractions are only a few minutes by car. My only complaint was about the heard of elephants who were apparently staying above us. While we weren't in the room very often, every time we were the noise was ridiculous! I don't know if it was they were very bad guests or if the sound proofing between room was substandard, it seemed they spent all their time running back and forth in their room! We rang and complained to reception one night as our kids were having trouble getting to sleep and the noise abated. Only problem was bright and early the next morning (and for the rest of our stay) they were at it again.

Room Tip: Top floor to avoid the elephants above!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear KatB65, thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am so sorry to hear that you had trouble with noise neighbors durring your stay. But please that you were happy with the hotel in all other aspects. All of our staff strive to give excellent personal service all of the time and I am dissapointed that we weren't able to meet your needs. I hope that this will not discourage you from staying with us at Sommerset Suites in the future. The next time you visit San Diego please contact myself personally and we will make sure that we can get you on a quieter side of the hotel on an upper floor.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I would recommend this place to anyone who hates to be away from home. The rooms come with a full kitchen, dinning room area, living room area with a flat screen TV in both rooms. I would definitely use there services again and again.

• Stayed October 2012
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very pleased, we arrived late at night and the reception was great. Very friendly people, even at that time Mat help us to get a city tour for the next day. Good location. We had a studio with a queen bed, clean and comfortable. The continental breakfast was even more than we expected. Thank you Mrs. Liz Palmer (Assistant General Manager), Ian, Mat and the very gentle man we met upon our arrival. Monic B. Canada

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sommerset Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!