“Ideal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Cleveland, Ohio
“Ideal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

First and foremost, the staff made you feel welcome. Every single member treated you professionally and warmly willing to offer suggestions on whatever you might ask. Everything was clean all the time- inside our suite and outside our room. The guests, first time visitors, and those back for their 16th time, mingled, smiled and created the homiest of atmospheres (which I think starts with the hotel's philosophy of breakfast included and "cocktail hour." My husband and I were in San Diego as tourists for 12 days, staying at Sommerset the entire time. Rooming at such an affordable place enabled us to really see a lot since we didn't have to return sooner. While I can't say it was peaceful, I can't imagine any hotel being quiet in S.D.--it's a city that's got a lot going on, starting with traffic. I hate noise and was not bothered by the ambulances-you don't really sit in your room in a place like S.D. If you're staying in a suite, you know the benefits--works great for us--I like to read to unwind, my husband to work on the computer and/or watch tv. The amount of space for the money is unbelievable. We rented a car and the parking was tight, again--you're in the city--it's to be expected. As for areas where they fell short: We came back so tired at night that we would have liked more options with ordering dinner in. And, although the staff was helpful, a couple of times I felt that the help offered wasn't as insider-oriented or tailored to what we'd expressed as our interests.needs as it could have been. (i.e.-no true concierge concept like you get in many hotels). I'm glad we did our own homework or we would have only seen the big stuff. Kudos to Luis (reception-evenings) and Marta (breakfast cafe)--they're both friendly and fun, and made our stay memorable!

Room Tip: We were placed in 118-around the corner from reception-my husband loved it.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Sacramento, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

There is no better place to stay if you are visiting the Hillcrest area. It's within walking distance to all of the restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. It's very clean, pretty quiet, and that staff is incredibly friendly and accommodating. I love visiting San Diego for weekend getaways and I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Norco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My stay was mostly business but the room was so comfortable and the pool was so clean and warm it made my stay feel like a vacation!

Room Tip: check trip advisory
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Port Chester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012 via mobile

I travel to San Diego quite a bit on business. I like to rotate where I stay to break the monotony. I keep coming back here because they make me feel so welcome. Rooms are large and comfortable with the kitchen in each room. Great place for families or those here on business.

• Stayed March 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I researched hotels online and read a number of reviews, many of which were not flattering, but Sommerset stood out by far and exceeded my expectations. Location is great--one block off mainstream Hillcrest street and close to wonderful restaurants; food in the area is fabulous and the people are very friendly plus the shopping is walking distance. My suite was nice with BIG widescreen TVs, clean and the kitchen was spotless! I was a bit nervous about the close proximity to the hospital and siren noise but not that bad, easy to ignore. Unfortunate the pool and hot tub was under renovation. Sommerset is clean and well taken care of. Breakfast is good especially the homemade waffles that are made for you. Overall, this is a great place to stay. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I stayed in a suite even though I did really use the kitchen much. I wanted a balcony but the bedro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hart, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

We traveled to San Diego for our son's graduation from marine bootcamp at MCRD. The location couldn't have been better to get to the base as Gate 5 was right at the end of Washington Street. It was really nice to not have to worry about getting lost. We had close access to highways and had no problem getting around the city. We did some site seeing with our son and family, there were 6 of us total, before coming home and it was great to have a suite where we could all be together. Our booking price for this suite was at least $100 cheaper than the other local suite hotels and we had a separate bedroom. Many of the suites are more along the lines of a studio apartment and if they weren't they started at around $250-300 a night.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Beith, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

My wife , 17 year old daughter, and I had an extremely pleasent seven night stay in one of the hotels one bedroom suites.
After checking the usual hotel booking sites we actually got the best deal on the hotels own website.
The room/suite was surprisingly large, (we have actually rented smaller apartments), and extremely well apointed.
The separate bedroom contained the onsuite bathroom, a large walk-in cupboard/closet, kingsize bed and large LCD TV, with a window overlooking the balcony.
The lounge area again was very well appointed, containing the sofa/bed, (acceptably comfortable) according to daughter, and very easy to set up/ put away.
The kitchen area had everything you would need from large fridge to full size electric cooker.

Worthy of a mention are the domestic staff, who were always pleasent and willing to help.

This hotel will be the first one we check on our next trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room on a high floor as there is a busy road outside.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sommerset Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!