“I'm in love!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Terrace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pacific Terrace Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   610 Diamond Street, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Powell, Ohio, United States
“I'm in love!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Totally in love with this place! Went here last spring break with another couple, and our kids. Such a great quaint hotel, wonderful service and excellent location on the beach. Cannot wait to go back to San Diego to visit again!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor which we liked with young boys.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1,301 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed here in August, for about 4 nights. We split a week long trip between Pac Beach and downtown. We are a family of 4. We had a great suite, with plenty of room- A nice view down the Board walk ( south) so we were able to also use the balcony and feel connected to the action of the board walk. The hotel staff was among the friendliest we have had any where we have stayed, all young and into their jobs and being polite. The front desk provided chairs for the beach and beach toys and bikes for riding on the boardwalk. So, even though this isn't a large property, they make up for it with these little details. Breakfast was great for our kids, and the coffee station in the lobby was perfect. The kids looked forward each day to the afternoon cookies! If we travel to the area again, we have this on our list of places to come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
omaha
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The location of this hotel is fantastic!! 15-20 min from the airport and Sea World and right on the beach. You can listen to the ocean as you drift to sleep. Because it is on the boardwalk it is easy to get to local restaurants, go for a run, or rent one of their bikes. We could watch the surfers from our balcony and keep an eye on our sand castle as it drifted out to sea.

Traveled with just my son. Felt very safe here. Secured underground parking was nice but did cost $22 per day. The hotel was very quiet at night. I didn't hear any traffic noise or outdoor commotion despite sleeping with our balcony door open.

Everything was very clean, from the outdoor pool to our room to the Caribbean room where breakfast was served daily for a small fee. The food for breakfast was good - a little variety each day. Room service was friendly but the food wasn't very good. Pizza delivery from Woodstock pizza, however, was really good!

The hotel was kid-friendly but there were not a lot of kids here. They offered a scavenger hunt with a free smoothie as a prize. Every evening they had happy hour with 2-for-1 drinks and smoothies and fresh baked cookies. No Disney channel, though, unless you want to pay $4 for an episode. There is an in-room DVD player with kid-friendly movies for free rental at the front desk. They have beach toys and boogie boards available to borrow for free, as well as bikes (adult and child) and child helmets to rent.

The staff here was the nicest I've encountered at any hotel. They were all incredibly friendly, helpful, and made us feel welcome for our entire stay.

We will definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Made reservations for Jan 2014 and was not able to go on that date so I canceled reservations. Made cancellations on Oct 25th, and by the 30th, I had been charged $324.00 and will now have a bounced check because of it. I called and talked to a "shawn" and he asks for my name. And, of course, couldn't find the charge. He argued with me for about 5 min., claiming that....well, there is no charge he can find, so therefore the charge I see on my bank statement must be a fantasy and its not his problem. I then suggested to him that I give him one of my reservation #. So it gets real quiet on the other end, and he says well, is your reservation # 12345 and it wasn't that of course. I had been sent about 3 different reservation/confirmation #s and none of those were it. So I again gave him the one I had and he found the charge. And he said, oh you were refunded the money on the 30!!! He starts to argue with me that his "system" states I was refunded the money, when In fact it was the 30th that the money was taken out. Then I asked, and why do I have so many different reserv. #s? His response: oh well you made this online at the pacific terrace website and that's not our website!!!! What! Who's is it I asked. Well... Uh... It's ours but not ours. I never received any receipt stating that my credit card had been charged 324.00, much less that it had been charged any amount at all. When I made the reservation, the site didnt ask me to accept any charges. When I cancelled the reservation over the phone, the person at the front desk of the hotel never mentioned any charge or refund going back to my mastercard. Its scary that this hotel seems to think its ok to charge credit cards without asking or getting permission for an exact charge. What's even worse is I was basically called a liar when I said I had a charge and he said that there was none. And then I had to tell him how to do his job. Be very careful with this place and watch your statements carefully if you stay here or hold a room. If you do stay here, I hope your credit card company has a good claims department. Best yet, avoid this hotel altogether and save the headache.

Update....I spoke with a manager and got the same story that the original person gave me. As of today, November 5th, 10 days after making the reservation, I still have not gotten a refund on my money. What hotel charges you for not even stepping one foot in the door. I understand why they need to have a credit card on file...but I have never had a hotel actually put the deposit of a room through 2 months before the actual booking date. If I would have been able to make the trip, that means for two months, they would have had my money for services never rendered. Why do the even need to charge guests??? Do they need cash on their books? They have the credit card on file, whats the point? Why not wait to charge guests when they actually either, check-in or cancel after the allotted time? I guess I will be putting in a claim with card company, which wont be helping my checking account as the bills come in.

Room Tip: If you make a reservation at this hotel, don't even think of cancelling. You wont be getting yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Homer Glen, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights at the Pacific Terrace Hotel from October 28th to the 31st. This was our first trip to San Diego and when I researched hotels, the Pacific Terrace had very good reviews so we decided to book here. About a week before our trip I checked back on Trip Advisor for any updates on the hotel and saw a recent one posted that only gave one star and his review said the hotel was noisy and he didn't enjoy his stay. I was worried then that I might have made a bad choice but it was too late to change anything. We took a taxi from the airport and I was surprised to see that the hotel was right in the middle of a neighborhood of private homes -- some not too nice, but when we entered the hotel we were pleasantly surprised that it was very nicely decorated, clean, and the staff so very nice.

We arrived early and requested a 3rd floor room, which you never know if you will be able to get until the day of check-in. Kyla, in guest services, was able to find us a 3rd floor room which would be ready in a couple hours. She stored our luggage and this gave us a chance to walk up and down the boardwalk and on Mission Boulevard to get acquainted with the area. She called our cell when the room was ready. We had room 309 which turned out to be very nice. It is directly above the pool which closes at 10 each night and it was very quiet all night long.

We found a grocery store, Ralph's, which is a 10 minute walk south on Mission Boulevard. We bought some things for breakfast, lunches and snacks. The room has a microwave, refrigerator, toaster, dishes, small bowls, glasses, and silverware. We don't eat a lot for breakfast so I was happy to be able to buy a bagel to toast. There is a coffee maker in the room but they also have coffee made in the lobby if you would rather do that. There is a buffet breakfast served each day for $14 which includes eggs, bacon, burritos, rice, & fruit, cereal, waffles, etc. We ate there once and everything was pretty good. Unfortunately, this small restaurant area is not open for lunch or dinner -- maybe because there are so many places to eat in the area, it wouldn't pay for them to serve other meals.

The room has a nice patio overlooking the ocean which is very relaxing. The bed was very comfortable and the TV had a nice large screen. I don't have one complaint about the Pacific Terrace Hotel. The location is great - right on the ocean, although I believe in the summer months there would be a lot of activity on the boardwalk - mostly geared toward young people. I don't think I would go in the summer - we're not that young! It would be nice if there were less transients hanging around the boardwalk but that's no fault of the hotel's. It's like that up and down Ocean Beach and Mission Beach boardwalks.

The bathroom in this room has a separate area for tub with overhead shower and glass doors on tub and the toilet is in that same area with a door separating this area from the sink w/mirror area. Everything is very clean.

Regarding the parking, we rented a car on our last day there because we were driving on to Vegas, but we did not have to pay the $22 parking fee at the hotel. There is overnight parking on the streets to each side of the hotel and we had no trouble finding a spot, so all worked out fine.

We would definitely go here again but only in the fall or late winter to avoid the crowds.

Room Tip: I would always request a room on the 3rd floor with a good view of ocean.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Waunakee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

This hotel is right on the bay where all of the surfer dudes hang out. We had a beautiful room overlooking the pool and the water front. Breakfast is served in the pool area and was serve yourself and very good. Lots of restaurants in the area and a great place to take a long walk alone the waterfront. It think this place is actually in La Hoya, I know that's not how you spell it and is an hours cab ride from the airport. About fifty bucks.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint James, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I came to San Diego for my son's graduation from Marine Corps Basic and, after a disappointing flight in, Kyla at the reception desk took pity on us and upgraded us to a suite. We arrived at the room and were stunned. The room was amazing! The beds so were comfortable to sleep in and the restroom was HUGE! Then there's the view... we loved being able to wake up to the sound of the surf crashing against the shore.
Everyone at the hotel, including the housekeeping staff, were so friendly and attentive to our needs. A special thanks to Lili, Angelica, Cameron and Katherin for making our stay the best four days we've had in a long time.
We would highly recommend the Pacific Terrace Hotel and are going to stay there on our next trip to the coast.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Pacific Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!