“Excellent hotel at an excellent location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Terrace Hotel

You added Pacific Terrace Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   610 Diamond Street, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #3 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Vancouver, Canada
“Excellent hotel at an excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. It is right on the beach, and has its own outdoor pool and Jacuzzi. Right on a nice trail around the area, and is in a nice area with nice restaurants around. The hotel is nice, excellent staff and service. We were lucky to get a free upgrade to a full ocean view room, and this made us stay two nights longer :-) . Waking up and spending the night chatting on the balcony with the ocean view, was an exceptional experience.

Room Tip: Get a room with a Full Ocean view, it worths the extra money you pay for it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Greetings in Vancouver!
It’s wonderful to hear you were able to extend your stay a little longer and that we had your room available. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable time and hopefully created some great memories relaxing on your balcony. Thank you for sharing and we would love to welcome you back again sometime.
Warm Regards,
Director of Guest Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We recently stayed at the Pacific Terrace Hotel because we wanted to be right "on the water." I read such wonderful reviews online and even received a personal endorsement from a well-traveled friend who had stayed there.

As the other reviews have mentioned, it is right on the water. So beautiful. The front desk staff and concierge were warm, friendly and very helpful. The hotel is absolutely immaculate and beautifully decorated (kind of "Tommy Bahamas" if that can be called a style). While we were there it was overcast and a bit chilly so we couldn't take advantage of the gorgeous pool area (again, right by the beach).

The bed was incredibly comfortable and we opened the sliding glass door slightly (we had a room overlooking the water - well worth the extra cost) so we could listen to the ocean while we slept. The next morning we drank our coffee on the balcony while watching the surfers, runners, walkers go by. I also made a note to myself that I have to start an exercise routine. :)

They also provide a free, very delicious breakfast spread in the morning and a reception with drinks and goodies in the afternoon. They definitely are at the top of their game in terms of amenities.

OK, so this is what happened to us. We wanted to relax and watch a pay per view movie. When we tried to watch the screen was very pixelated so we called for assistance. A young man promptly came to the room and tried to fix it. He had to leave and come back several times. So for a good hour or so (perhaps longer), he kept popping in (he was very nice) but couldn't resolve the issue. He assured us that we wouldn't be charged for the movie (gee, I hope not).

The next day as we were checking out there was no mention as to the issue, no apologies for our inconvenience. I thought that perhaps they would have forgiven a part of the mini-bar tab (while this was going on my husband started raiding it) at least. For a hotel of that caliber I was kind of surprised about this. Also, please keep in mind this is not an inexpensive hotel. We paid a great deal for our room with the ocean view. Would I go back? Probably. Not in June, though. We were told that the area is often overcast during that time of year.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view room!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello in Phoenix!
Thank you for the review. I am glad your friend recommended us to you and that you enjoyed your stay overall. We always like to know how we can make our guest’s stay better and I think I have your answer here. I am sorry for the trouble you had with the movies and more than happy to adjust off your minibar charges. Thank you for the suggestion. September and October are the months with the best weather and we hope you will come and visit us again in the future around that time of year.
Warm Regards,
Angela Hansen
Director of Guest Services.
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is a small, quiet, unassuming property but in an amazing location. It has a great beach, great (heated) pool and jacuzzi with the waterfront path being all that separates it from the ocean cliff. There were surfers out at 6 am (maybe earlier, but I wasn't up) each morning...the walk and bike south led to shops, local hangouts, and mission beach. All worth checking out. Having gated parking under the hotel was clutch. But mainly just waking up and seeing the waves breaking out over the balcony was pretty much heaven. The staff was awesome--from the front desk to the guys who got us bikes to take out to the cleaning crew, they were all super friendly, helpful, and went out of their way to make our stay above average. Go to the Catamaran for brunch, but stay here!

We also found the most amazing local hole-in-the-wall mexican/seafood place about 8 blocks away--I won't spoil it by listing the name, just search on social media -- hint, it's north of the hotel. Seemed to be a locals spot, but when they found out we were 1st timers, fish stew and fresh fruit extract beverages were in front of us.

The staff was very laid back but always seemed to be available to help with anything. This place is for those who appreciate quiet, refined atmosphere. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You Brian M.
Terrific to hear about your stay with us. It sounds like you really took in all that Pacific Beach has to offer. Thank you for commenting on our staff, they continue to amaze me each and every day. I think I know the restaurant you are talking about and their tacos are to die for. They just opened another location around the corner so the secret is spreading fast but it will be much closer the next time you come.
Thank you from our entire team!

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We just got back from our trip to San Diego. We stayed at The Pacific Terrace and it was gorgeous. The staff is extremely polite and they cater to your every need. Gabriela the poolside waitress was awesome! The rooms are gorgeous, the beds are soft and the plantation style decor creates a tranquil, relaxing environment. Will definitely go back again. Actually can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear makaylasmom19,
Thank you for sharing your Pacific Terrace experience with everyone. Thank you for your compliments of Gabriela at the pool, I will be sure she sees your review too. I like your descriptive term “plantation décor”; I may have to use that myself. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we too can’t wait to have you back again!

All the best from our entire team!
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

It was a great place to stay, loved the cookies and apples at reception, they have laundry facilities and the it is absolutely on the beach. The staff/concierge were really helpful, good wi-fi in the room. The rooms were lovely too. Our room opened directly onto the pool. Great value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Greetings to you in Australia!
Thanks for staying with us while in San Diego. The cookies and apples are always a hit with both the little kids AND the big kids. I am glad you took advantage of the concierge and their expertise. I hope you had a great time in San Diego/California and that you made it back home safely.

Thanks again from the Pacific Terrace Team!
Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night before a cruise. The hotel seemed nice enough at first, until I heard scurrying noises at 3am (which woke me up) and saw a flash of something running across the carpet in the room. When I got up to check I found a HUGE cockroach.

We called the front desk and they sent a very nice gentleman from maintenance to try to take care of it, but all he could do was try to spray it with bug spray as it ran around the room.

That didn't work and it was still there so we called the front desk again they quite flippantly stated that first floor rooms with outside doors often have insects and offered no apology. They finally agreed to move us to a different room, but only after I demanded it. The room they moved us to was just the next room over, though, so probably also had cockroaches according to their own staff.

We didn't get any sleep at all that night, afraid that we were still surrounded by cockroaches and knowing that roaches like to get into your luggage and travel home with you we felt like we had to completely unpack everything we had and then re-pack later. Where there is one cockroach there are many cockroaches.

When we checked out the following morning I again complained about the cockroach and again received no apology. The front desk staff just said "oh" and handed me my receipt.

I later sent an email to management to complain and never received any response. They did, however, add me to their mailing list and now send me marketing emails - as if I would ever stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Hello in Utah!
I am actually from Utah myself; I am surprised our paths did not cross while you were here last year. I apologize for your trouble and your concern. I wonder what email address you used, they should all make it to me and this does not ring a bell. We have had the same staff for several years and they are consistently recognized for their warm and genuine service attitude so I would appreciate any additional details, I would love to sort this out. We share in your disappointment and would appreciate the opportunity to make this right.
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed at the Pacific Terrace Hotel for 2 nights recently over memrorial week celebrating my annyversary and I must say I was blown away. I have been in the hospitality industry for 5 years now and I know all of the ins and outs of a hotel. This hotel has it ALL the rooms are beautiful and large. Get the ocean view room is worth every penny. Apart from the hotel being a gem what really made my trip incredible was the staff. They have the best customer service that I have ever experienced. Rachel, Danielle, Reyna, Kyla, the bellman Andre and the concierge Ms Menna made our trip just incredible. From telling us were to dine what places to visit and helping us with bike rentals and beach toys. They customize every experience to fit us and they remember everything we ever mentioned throughout our trip. The entire guest services staff that we encounter were just incredible and exactly how guest service agents should be. The GM to this hotel should be so proud of what a wonderful staff this hotel has. We also experienced great service from the pool server I unfortunetly did not get her name but she was fantastic as well. The Pacific Terrace hotel has become my go to hotel when I am in San Diego! Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

Room Tip: Upgrade to view room preferably second or third floor is worth every penny. We were in room 212 and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic review MarthaLP!
It is comments like yours that really motivate our team even more. Their standards are high and it is great to hear they are achieving their goal of creating memorable visits to the Pacific Terrace.
Best wishes from the Pacific Terrace team.
Director of Guest Services

Been to Pacific Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!