“Great family hotel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pacific Terrace Hotel

Save Saved
You added Pacific Terrace Hotel to your Saves list
Pacific Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   610 Diamond Street, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #4 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
“Great family hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We just got home after a week's stay at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. I selected this hotel based on all of the high ratings on Trip Advisor and it did not disappoint! It is not a large hotel and has sort of a low profile along the coast line but it is a total GEM!

We stayed on the first floor in a family suite which was perfect for our family of four. The first night was somewhat rough as the people above us were partying till 4:30 am, dragging patio furniture around on their balcony and generally keeping us awake. I went to the front desk the next morning to inquire about potentially switching rooms and Diego (Night auditor?) was incredible and immediately offered up another suite of the other side of the hotel (room 120). It was identical to our first room except the ocean view and pool access were much better. We were thrilled. We packed up our bags, left for the zoo and when we came back everything was moved for us, including our food in the cabinets/fridge and hanging items in the closet.

There is plenty of space to store your clothing and items in the suite, we were very pleased with this. The vanity area in the bathroom is huge and there is a lot of room to spread your things out. Another small thing that's just a big plus in my mind. The shower doors swing out so yes, they do drip onto the floor when you step out, but it's not a big deal in my mind. They had a little clothes line in the shower as well for hanging wet suits, which again is a small detail but big convenience. It's things like this that make the PTH an excellent place to stay.

The beds were super comfortable! We all slept well; nice linens and very nice mattresses. The furniture scale is HUGE compared to the size of the rooms so that took a bit of getting used to. Maid services (including turn down service) were top notch, we used a lot of towels between the pool (heated to 82 degrees!), hot tub (102) and showering and it was always nice to come back to fresh towels in the room. The kids got a kick out of the animal towels and them tucking their stuffed animals into the bed or posing them in different places around the room.

We spend a lot of time at the pool despite the cool weather. The kids liked the lemonade in the Carribbean room as well as the 5 pm cookies. Drinks were 2 for 1 during happy hour but we had our own beers which we brought to the pool and no one objected. They have free beach toys available for the kids to play with, but no pool toys (balls/noodles, etc) so we went out and bought a few things.

The kids ate at the buffet twice ($8) but we elected not to. It looked really nice, and some good healthy food options were offered. Free Starbucks coffee in the lobby starting at 6 am, free apples and USA today every am in the lobby as well. Ralph's (on Mission Ave) is a great market to get cold cuts and other meal supplies. The family suites have a toaster, microwave, small fridge (don't get a gallon of milk like we did, it won't fit!), and a few plates/bowls/glasses. A cutting board would have been great as well as a few paper plates/napkins, but overall it was a well stocked mini-kitchen

Pacific Beach is a fun and eclectic neighborhood. Lots of runners, surfers, skateboarders, dog walkers, etc. There were more than a few homeless people around the area but it did not change the way we felt about staying in PB or at the PTH.

I recommend renting wetsuits and boogie boards at the place down the street (South Coast?) for a half day; we did so and had a blast. The water is cold but the wetsuit truly keeps you warm and it was a wonderful "California" experience! Also, we got bikes from the hotel and rode down to Mission Beach which was very fun. I was disappointed to learn that they charge $10 per bike for 2 hours. I had read other reviews on Tripadvisor that it was free to take them out (they certainly have plenty of them).

Parking is $22/day and though it's expensive, we paid it for the convenience and security factors.

Every single employee was friendly and accomodating. I highly recommend the Pacific Terrace Hotel to any family traveling to San Diego.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
Pacific NW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is the most beautiful place to stay in the area - we stayed in March in 2012 for our honeymoon as well as March 2013 for our first anniversary. No need for a car here. Several choices for shopping and dining.

Room Tip: Many different rooms but the ocean view or partial is a must
Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is an amazing place to stay! A friend and I just got back from staying here for two weeks. It was my first trip to California and it is one I will never forget. We had a room with a balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean. I so enjoyed sitting out there every morning and evening. We were on the run a lot and after the first night this place was like our home away from home. The staff are all wonderful. I wish I could remember everyone's name but the one that stood out was Marty! I looked forward to going down to breakfast and seeing him there to greet us. He made us feel so welcome and I was sad to say goodbye. If I am lucky enough to get to California again this will be where I will stay. Thank you for everything and it was great to get to know you Marty!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Yucaipa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband booked this hotel for our 25 wedding anniversary. The suite was amazing with wonderful views of the ocean. It had everything one could ask for: in room jacuzzi, wetbar area with microwave, great location and balcony. The suite was spacious, clean and for the most part comfortable. This hotel is one of the best places to stay in San Diego and I would definitely go back!
The only reason I had to give this place a "very good" rating is because of the rubber covered mattress in which my husband and I joked calling it a "condom covered mattress." It made rubbery noises every time we moved and for me it wasn't too comfortable to sleep on. We have stayed in countless hotels from back east to Europe and we have NEVER stayed in such a high quality place that had rubber covered mattresses. I started to question how the hotel viewed it's clientele.
The second reason I gave this hotel a "very good" rating is because in my opinion it should only cater to adults. The romantic ambiance of the hotel in my opinion is no place for children. Call me selfish, but I did not appreciate hearing kids run up and down the halls.

Room Tip: Any room will have either a full/partial ocean view room. The cost of this hotel is well worth it!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This was a surprise gem. We booked last minute for a quick trip from LA to Seaworld and we wished we had skipped Seaworld to stay here longer. It is an elegant low-key place to really unwind. The service could have been better, mostly kids working there. But the property and location is flawless. I only wish they had an onsite bar that served drinks and small meals. We will return for a longer stay later this month.

Room Tip: The ground floor which I never take in hotels is actually quite good here as you have direct access...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at the Pacific Terrace the last week of March 2013, we had a wonderful time and all the staff were helpful and very friendly. Even after a mix up with expedia and the reservation they handled everything to sort it out and let us enjoy our first few hours of vacation without having to be making phone calls. Hotel is very clean and well serviced. Great location with great views - could watch the beach while laying in bed! Would recommend this hotel.

petoskey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel is nice ! Right in the thick of things, Beatiful views, Close to everything, Right on the Strand !! Hotel is clean, Rooms are clean ! My family stayed at hilton a few miles away, Pacific Terrace made there hotel look like a dump. Hotel staff is there for your comfort. My daughter made the call to set up our stay, She couldnt believe the super greeting, she was smiling from ear to ear just by speaking to the person setting up our reservation. Our treatment never changed after arrival. Cant wait to visit San Diego again, We wont have to hunt for a hotel , Pacific Terrace is the place to be !!

Room Tip: i think there all nice !!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pacific Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!