“Near Flawless Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Pacific Terrace Hotel to your Saves list
Orbitz.com Expedia.com
Pacific Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   610 Diamond Street, San Diego, CA 92109 (Pacific Beach)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Near Flawless Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I got a really good deal on this hotel through Southwest Airlines vacations. It included our flights from Phoenix, a rental car, and five nights at the hotel. The staff was super friendly and helpful, especially our bellhop who told us about area restaurants and showed us all the amenities of the hotel and our room. It was a near flawless experience.
Our third floor room with a partial oceanview was incredible. I am always wary of “partial” views, thinking I would have to lean over the balcony and look around the corner to catch a glimpse of water. This was not the case, we had an excellent view of the north end of Pacific Beach and from our terrace could enjoy beautiful sunsets and sunrises, watch the surfers, or “people-watch” the folks on the boardwalk below. The hotel was quiet. One night I was awakened by some drunken revelry in the streets but that’s to be expected in a beach town.
The room has really handsome furniture. I’d love to have one of those beds in my house. The mattresses were very comfortable. It was great having a small kitchen with a fridge, microwave and sink for early morning coffee and breakfast in the room. Although the hotel doesn’t have a restaurant, they do bring in a buffet breakfast but we are light eaters in the morning so we just shopped for a few grocery items and saved our dollars for great lunches out. Every afternoon at 4pm there were warm cookies available and we were offered one complimentary glass of wine during our stay.
My only criticism of the hotel is the bathrooms could use some updating. The bathroom is quite large with a little alcove that was completely empty…..I ended up putting my suitcase there so it would be out of the way. However, being a plus sized woman, I was dismayed by the standard sized tub. There was certainly enough room for a garden tub or even a Jacuzzi and either would be a vast improvement.
My companion had a few issues with the maid service. The maid would leave the radio blaring when she left the room so my friend left a message asking her to turn off the radio….she unplugged it….which disabled the clock which we did want to use…ah well, communication snafu. Also, the maid seemed to have a problem leaving the right number of wash cloths….we had two, requested extras and got four, the next day she took them all away so then we had none….lol.
Normally I am a budget traveler so I would not have selected this hotel without the deep discount provided by the vacation package but for those that are not as frugal as I am, this would be a great destination hotel for a beach vacation....or maybe you can find a great deal like I did.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to book a partial ocean view...the 3rd floor is the top floor and probably the b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
PTHSanDiego, Manager at Pacific Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thanks for writing about your stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the room and I agree the partial view rooms still have incredible views. I like your recommendations for the odd bathroom space in those particular rooms and we will keep them in mind during our next remodel. Thank you for the housekeeping notes, I will look into them further and make sure we are all on the same page. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm Regards,
Angela Hansen
Director of Guest Services

1,247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Not for the business traveler for sure.
The view is amazing but who cares if you arrive late and leave early. You need a good night sleep.

Check in: efficient and pleasant

Location: lost of restaurants around + the usual Starbucks/Ralph/CVS

Room: very nice "island" feeling

BUT: very noisy guests who would not tone it down when the reception called them. The crowd that runs in the hallways and slams doors.
BUT: no tea in the room
BUT: no shower cap (not good for a female business traveler) and IMPOSSIBLE to get one at 6.30 am because housekeeping has not arrived and they are not even sure they carry some!
BUT: internet is not free
BUT: pool crowd and noise

I would not go back.

Room Tip: if you really have to go there choose a room with full ocean view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing the Pacific Terrace Hotel and for writing about your stay. I am very sorry for the excess noise you experienced and that you were not able to enjoy the views or the pool. I do hope the staff was as responsive as they normally are in their assistance with the noise levels. We have tea bags available upon request and we now have shower caps at the Reception Desk. Our Internet Access is now complimentary and included with all packages. If any of the updates change your mind, we would love to have you back again anytime.

Angela Hansen
Director of Guest Services
Northern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days in the "low" season. A bit pricey, but I guess appropriate for the beach community. Especially being literally on the beach. The room was very nice and clean, very much a "Tommy Bahama" feel. The shower was clean (which is a big must for me).
The staff was great. We were originally in room 212, which was nice & had a great ocean view. But later requested to move to the 3rd floor. There was nothing available, but the staff did find a room on the 2nd floor on the other end of the hotel, room 218. I didn't think it was possible, but this room had an even better view! One of the cool things the room had was one of the channels on the TV has a live stream from a camera positioned looking at the beach. You can watch the waves & surfers without even leaving your room.

But as the morning came we found out we were right above the breakfast area. The smell of breakfast was yummy, but being on vacation I did not want to wake up early to plates clanking around & listening to breakfast conversation. After making our way down to breakfast that was $14 per person (a bit pricey). I believe it was all you can eat, so I hope you eat your moneys worth. It was a assortment of breakfast options: eggs, omelets, potatoes bacon, sausage, ceral, pastries, toast, waffles.

The only other cost that was a little much was to park in the hotels garage it was $22 per night. All in all a great hotel with a great view. If your looking for quiet request a room on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed November 2012
Lisbon, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I will rate this as one of my best all time experiances at a hotel. The facilities and the location were amazing. The staff was extreamly warm and friendly. They truly made you feel like a VIP! The boardwalk and the beach are only a fews steps from the door. We also enjoyed the use fo the hotels bicycles to expand our exploration of the area.

Room Tip: Second and third floor end rooms allow for an unobstructed view of the ocean in both directions.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Clinton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I picked this hotel based on the location and beautiful pictures on their website - all of which were accurate. I was disappointed at check in when my full ocean view room (209) was partially obstructed by a large (albeit beautiful) palm tree. They didn't have any other rooms to move us to that evening so we decided to stay put. I mentioned something to the manager, Angela, the next day and she bent over backwards to make me feel like moving rooms at this stage was not problem and did several things to make up for our disappointment - free breakfast, free parking, and reduced rate. Most of all, she was just very nice and legitimately seemed to care that we have a nice time. The pool area was beautiful and the views (from the 3rd floor) were breathtaking. Access to the beach was very, very close and the beach itself was gorgeous. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get the 3rd floor, ocean view! Room 209 is not really a full ocean view and several of the other 2n...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 11 nites at the Pacific Terrace, it is difficult to find 1 thing lacking at this hotel, beyond excellent staff with knowledge in all areas, a great breakfast buffet, very clean, and so close to the beach. This is where I would stay again and again. The personal attention paid to each and every guest was excellent. Thanks for the wonderful time.

Room Tip: Full ocean view was wonderful
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Torrance, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is the third year in a row we have stayed at the Pacific Terrace. My two brothers and I just love this place for our annual reunion. The ocean views, the professional service, and the quality of the rooms make this our favorite choice. The staff is always very professional and helpful. Special thanks to the bellman for always having our rental bicycles ready to roll for us. The evening turn down service is also a very nice bonus. This Hotel looks right over the beautiful ocean and offers some amazing sunsets. The beach walk goes right past the rooms and we are able to go for a long run everyday and relax in the beautiful pool or spa afterwards. The location is great because everything you might need is within walking distance. We highly recommend the Pacific Terrace.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Beach. We stay in the family suite every year and it is wonderful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Pacific Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!