“Great Beach Location--the "real" San Diego” 5 of 5 stars
Review of A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House
You added A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House to your Saves list
5054 Narragansett Ave., San Diego, CA 92107   |
Ranked #5 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
Ontario, California
“Great Beach Location--the "real" San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed for 3 days for a relaxing getaway trip. The location is in the walkable community of Ocean Beach. We walked to the beach, dining and recreation. The rooms were exceptionally clean, the decor was charming, and the breakfast--especially the homemade bread was outstanding! Katie and staff were wonderful! We will be back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Owhalen, Owner/Manager at A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to share in the fun of the holiday event. It was so nice to meet you both and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Warm Regards,
Katie & Cheryl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

My husband and I were desperate to get away from the desert and spend some time at the beach. We were very interested in trying a Bed and Breakfast. I was suprised we could find a place we could afford just steps away from the water and the local beach. I figured it might be too good to be true for the price, but took it anyway. Not only were we close to the ocean, the Elsbree House was this beautiful house that stands out in a quite neighborhood. The rooms are comfortable, charming and thoughtful. Everything is amazingly clean and well maintained. Katie and the staff are so warm and hospitable with a through knowledge of the area including a few local perks. We enjoyed the hearty lovingly prepared breakfast. I'm a sucker for homemade bread. We started our days well fueled and well rested. We cannot wait to visit again! If you are looking for a value without any compromise and you are looking for a relaxing experience, you need to visit Elsbree House Beach Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Owhalen, Owner at A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind words! We so enjoyed meeting you both and are so happy you had a wonderful stay. Thank you for coming to the "Holiday" event as well. We hope to see you again soon.
Zug
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed three nights of our holidays at this charming B&B and only took most positive memories home!

The closeness to the beach made Elsbree House very attractive to us. We liked as well the new england flavour built house and were delighted with the clean and cosy accommodation. The beautiful garden completes this B&B to a hidden treasure.

We loved Katie's delicous breakfast with fresh fruits, home made muffins and bread..... Appreciated her suggestions where to go and never got disappointed. Phil's work "behind the scenes" was most appreciated.

Sometimes we had to drive around the quarter to find a parking space but usually found one on the street in front of the house.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for choosing our B&B for your getaway and for your great review! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warm Regards,
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Katie and Phil Elsbree and Cheryl are wonderful hosts. Their B&B is charming and makes you feel like you are at home. The property is 1/2 block from the ocean. Tidepools, huge fishing pier, walks on the beach, the quaint seaside community of Ocean Beach all in very easy walking distance. The bike trail along the San Diego River and across to Mission Bay was very handy. We were so inspired, we did a 20 mile bike ride around the perimeter of Mission Bay. Cabrillio National Monument at the end of Point Loma is just a short car ride away. So much to see and do. After each busy day we returned to our "little cottage" to relax and enjoy sitting under the shade trees. I would recommend the Elsbree House (A Beach Bed and Breakfast) to anyone who wants an affordable, relaxing, friendly bed and breakfast experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind review and we are delighted you had such a wonderful stay with us! It is so nice to hear you had a relaxing stay and our location allowed you to explore so much each day! We look forward to providing with another relaxing adventure soon.

Kind Regards,
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

This is an adorable B&B, in perfect proximity to the ocean, and the hospitality is first-rate. For my visit, I originally booked a room in a non-descript hotel that was not within walking distance of a beach. Since I was only going to be in town for a day and a half, I really wanted quick and easy access to the ocean. I called Elsbree House on a whim and lucked out. The day before I was arriving, I was able to get a wonderful room without being charged extra (many places would have capitalized on my last-minute reservation).

The proprieter, Katie, is kind and attentive. I was arriving at night and she left detailed instructions for me to access my room. I found it without any trouble. I could literally smell the ocean air and hear the waves from the small private balcony off of my room. It was like therapy for me.

The breakfast was delicious (and plentiful!) and I enjoyed the company of my housemates. I came and went often and worried about parking. It was mid-August and very crowded. However, I never once had a problem finding a spot right on Narragansett. Several times, I was able to park right in front of the house.

I saw the previous review that referenced the air traffic. With my windows and balcony door open I could hear airplanes periodically. However, it was never a distraction and never kept me from sleeping. Like I said, I could hear the ocean! There aren't many places that give you that (for a reasonable price). Stay at Elsbree House. You won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Owhalen, Owner at A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
Thank you for staying with us at the Elsbree House "A Beach Bed & Breakfast".
It was our pleasure to have you as guests.
We hope you come again soon !
Katie Elsbree
Grand Haven, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

Just returned from staying at the fantastic Elsbree House. The innkeeper, Katie, walked me through her peaceful side garden (be sure to checkout the outdoor phone booth!) to my wonderful room. Very comfortable bed, great porch/balcony and bath. You don't need a car....San Diego's bus system is cool, clean, and cheap!! I got their "over 60" price of $1.10 to get back to the airport from Elsbree House. It was so so easy to walk the Ocean Beach pier, downtown area from this B&B. This was a bonus, since I would go swimming and be 5 minutes from my room if I wanted to change before walking downtown or on the pier. And the breakfast, you won't be able to eat all the delicious choices. Katie even bagged some fruit for me to take to the airport. Be sure to check this place out.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Owhalen, Owner at A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for staying with us.
We appreciate you mentioning the fact we have a good location-we are 5 to 15 minutes by car of ALL San Diego attractions. We are looking forward to your next visit.
Katie, Innkeeper
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2010

We were struggling to find a hotel that could provide us with a self contained 2 bedroom / 2 bathroom type accommodation for our short stay in San Diego - until we discovered Katie and Elsbree House.
The interconnecting rooms were ideal, having a large double bed in the one and two twin beds in the other - each room having its own bathroom, walk in wardrobe and small patio.
Katie made sure that we were all well fed at breakfast - setting us up for our assaults on Sea World - stuffed with cereals, yoghurts, eggs, fruits, juice, toast and muffins. And more muffins :-)
Location wise, things could not have worked out better. Our plans were to do the parks/zoo's by day and then kick back and stroll around Ocean Beach with its myriad small eateries/bars/shops by night.
Sea World was literally around the corner which meant that we could go to the park early, pop back to Ocean Beach for lunch and then return to Sea World for the evening shows. San Diego Zoo was similarly only a 15 minute drive away.
The beach and pier are straight out of the back door and we were spoilt for choice when it came to food - Italian, Mexican, micro breweries etc - all being within walking distance.
Whilst parking spaces were limited, we never failed to park within a few doors of the Elsbree.
We also really liked/appreciated the way that the rooms were cleaned. Unlike other establishments - where you are effectively excluded from your room for an undefined period of time at an unknown time of day - Katie and crew cleverly co-ordinate the cleaning routine with breakfast. So, once you've finished breakfast and returned to your rooms you'll find that they've been cleaned (beds made up etc) - regardless of what time you go for breakfast.
The Elsbree met our sometimes awkward requirements of having the flexible accommodation that our 2 adult / 2 teens family unit needed coupled with being close to all of the main attractions that we wanted to see whilst still having that cosy/family/relaxing atmosphere based in a beach-side community (as opposed to an industrial park on the side of the freeway!).
Thanks for a wonderful stay Katie!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Owhalen, Innkeepers at A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for bringing your family to stay at the Elsbree House B&B in Ocean Beach.
We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a long and complete review.
It is always nice when our guests appreciate all of our efforts to meet their needs while
staying with us. We hope you will come back and visit us again soon.
Katie & Amanda, Innkeepers

Been to A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House

Address: 5054 Narragansett Ave., San Diego, CA 92107
Location: United States > California > San Diego
Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Suites
Ranked #5 of 39 B&Bs / Inns in San Diego
You will find yourself vacationing 500 feet from the Pacific Ocean where there is a pier with a magnificent view of the ocean, a beach to the right of the pier for surfing, swimming, or relaxation, and tide pools to the left of the pier for exploring. Ocean Beach is one of the last quaint true beach towns left in southern California. Ocean Beach or "OB" is known for its laid-back, eclectic charm. You will find 98 pubs/eateries within a 5 block radius, not to mention unique boutiques and a very large antique mall. Once you park your car or take a short cab ride from the airport you may not need a vehicle. Many of our guests utilize public transportation and forego a rental car during their stay. Our location is only 5-15 minutes by car from many major attractions including the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, La Jolla, the San Diego Convention Center, Petco Park, downtown San Diego, and the airport. Public transportation is available on the third corner. Our beach B&B has five rooms: 4 with queen beds and one room with 2 twin beds, all with private baths that accommodate two people per room. We also offer a two room suite with one queen bed and two twin beds with 2 private bathrooms which accommodates up to 4 guests. All of our rooms have full baths, private balconies or patios, and private entrances. All rooms have large closets equipped with beach towels, beach chairs, personal coffee makers, refrigerators, sound sleep machines, and ironing boards/irons. Our rooms are fully stocked for any occasion you may have planned. Thank you and Come B & B our guests! Katie & Susan - Innkeepers ... more   less
Elsbree House Beach Hotel San Diego
Elsbree House Beach Bed And Breakfast

If you own or manage A Beach Bed and Breakfast and Vacation Condo at the Elsbree House, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.