“For Point Loma location, this is the place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Cabrillo Inn & Suites Airport
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1150 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA CA 92106   |
Ranked #196 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Orange County
“For Point Loma location, this is the place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

Every week for over twelve years Dan and Joy Patel have made me feel at home at their Cabrillo Inn with clean rooms, standing reservations, and sincere friendliness. Its a great location to Point Loma and all of San Diego City and County.

The Inn provided a quite, good nights rest needed to conduct business and work with the U.S. Navy laboratories on Point Loma.

Over the years, many improvements have been made to bring the inn up to what I consider a very high quality place to stay at reasonable rates.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness

yogimonti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Wow. Very Good place to stay with the harbor view . very good atmosphere. Lots of places to go around. Drug store, USPS, Fast food Places at the walking distance. Safe area.
Internet is working fine. quite place to stay longer. Public transport is easily available. Lots of banks around so no need to worry.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
salt lake city, utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2008

My wife and I were stranded after having missed our flight at the San Diego Airport. We called several places, but we found a very reasonable rate at the Cabrillo Motor Lodge. We placed our belongings and walked a mere 4 or 5 blocks in a slight drizzle down to the water's edge to share a romantic stroll. Dan the manager gave us some directions to many of the local eateries within walking distance. We shared a romantic moment out. The bed was very comfortable-one of the best for a 1 star hotel. I feel like the service was accommodating, and the room was clean, quaint, and sensible. I would return here and stay again.

Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2005

I always thought it somewhat superfluous to write about a major chain because in general (if it's corporate owned vs. a franchise which is more like an individual owned property) they offer wonderfully obsequious
service where they graciously and politely respond to any request and redress any problem and furniture is unchipped an unstained and they offer other special amenities. Even a lower price chain like Motel 6 has certain standards in the quality of the furnishings and service. The independents are what need to be reviewed as the qualities in both cases can vary substantially.

In general, in California at least, the lower priced motels are run by East Indians, most with the surname of Patel. It is because of the region they’re from (much like how the Corolones got their name in the “Godfather) rather than all being born with the same surname.

Having stayed at many because they are cheap, there are many similarities. The furniture is usually worn and sometimes stained, and the service, if it can be called that is often (but not always I want to be careful to point out) indifferent to surly. The Cabrillo Motor Lodge was no exception. I had seen no ads about them anywhere before but they located on the hotel board (where you can pick up the phone and dial an extension to be connected to the hotel) at the visitors center across from the Maritime Museum on Harbor Blvd. Although a friend had recommended that I stay at the Homestead Suites in Mission Valley which although didn’t have two rooms had a wall separating a bed and sofa bed for only $79, because I wanted to stay at a place with a sofa bed (I’m not used to sleeping on a firm mattress with a box spring-read about that in my review of another hotel, the EZ8 Motel in Old Town, San Diego, but on a thin cot like mattress, but I was too exhausted from not sleeping well the night before at that hotel, to drive the distance to Homestead so I called the Cabrillo Motor Inn as it advertised suites. It could be due to the fact that there was a Holiday Bowl, but most suite motels charge from between mid 100s-300 in that area. When I called the Cabrillo, Paul, the desk clerk quoted a rate of $69 for a suite, with two rooms. I was so surprised at the low price, that I exclaimed “$69”, whereupon he quickly said that he could go as low as $59, (which should have forewarned me.) I started to drive there, the tourist location is far from most major tourist attractions, it's north near Old Town, but because it was foggy and at night, I couldn’t see the street signs very well, and being so exhausted stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn (will have a review of that also) that night but because of the high cost there, sought the motel the next day. While showing me the room he got a call on his cell phone and I heard him quote $59 for a single, when I told him that he quoted me that price for the suite he said “that was yesterday, today is diferent.”

My accomodations were two rooms with a door to separate the two, the outer room was like a living room with a sofa bed and a small kitchenette with a half size refrigerator with no ice cube trays but it DID have an ice machine, and microwave with a rotating table and a small sink. Unlike the Residence Inn there was no cutlery, dishes or pots and pans, there wasn’t even instant coffee packets and no coffee in the lobby the next morning! The counter there was chipped, and as mentioned before some of the furniture was stained and worn. The extra blanket they gave me was frayed. They did give you shampoo, packets, but there was no hairdryer or irons in the room. They did attempt some sort of unusual decoration other than the obligatory pictures on the walls by putting in decorative fake trees in the room. When I opened up the sofa bed there was crumbs that had fallen under the cushions, while I don’t expect the maid to pick up the couch to vacuum it would be a good idea if they used a Dust buster, but other than that the room and the bathroom were clean. I was not put off by the worn furniture and at first, I thought the somewhat abrupt and curt way the clerk, Paul, spoke to me was due to the lack of fluency in English. His tone may have been why I initially didn’t come the first time I called but while I was there he seemed fairly pleasant to a customer who had a request so I decided to stay. However, later that night a friend called me around 10:50 PM and told me that when he first called, he was scolded by (I presume Paul who may be that way because he seems to work 16 hour days) who said that the switchboard closed at 10:45PM “according to the rules” and because the number on the phone in my room had an extension which I gave my friend, he thought it was the room number and gave Paul the extension as a room number which turned out to be the wrong number. When he called again he was bawled out even more severely by Paul. The next morning (they had a crisis where they were out of hot water for awhile) I told Paul that if they had a rule that people could not call after a certain time they should post a notice and NOT scold the customer’s friend. Instead of apologizing he got angry with ME, saying that by calling the wrong room my friend bothered another customer (my friend said the wrong person he called, did not seem at ALL, angry or upset). I forgot at that point to ask if the extension numbers were different from the room numbers OR whether they just put phones in from another room without correcting the numbers listed on the phone. The phone was not conviently located, instead of being located on the table with the chair next to the bed, it was located on the other side where you had to lay on the bed when you talked (not convenient if the other person is already sleeping on that bed.) There was no second phone in the living room area and in the bedroom there was no air-conditioner just a heater. You could not take a bath because they didn’t have stoppers because they said people took them and although I paid with a credit card I couldn’t use the phone because I didn’t pay a $10 deposit and also couldn’t get a second key because of the deposit requirement also. I thought it was somewhat strange because I think according to CA. law innkeepers have to post the tariff, check out times and I think emergency exit instructions in the room (usually it’s on the door, so even though our door had a place for it, it was empty.) There was not second lock for the door so you could double lock it when you were inside, the door can be closed unlocked (most motel doors can’t be closed unlocked) and they use a regular key (that does NOT have do not duplicate on it) vs. a card key.

Although I have read reviews where people gave very low ratings about the worn furnishings, that doesn’t bother me, I mean, what do you expect with a low price? I am more concerned if a place is clean and they treat me well. I am not giving the place the lowest rating because it IS a good value for the money despite its drawbacks a (both rooms DID have nice color TVs.) But since I don’t earn a lot of money I like to do business where I feel my had earned money is spent IS appreciated and I didn’t feel that way with Paul. If I wanted to stay at a suite hotel I would choose the aforementioned Homestead which being a chain probably has certain standards of quality of furniture and service or perhaps would want to splurge and stay at the Marriott Residence (read my review of that!)

Unfortunately because of how it’s advertised some people who would definitely be unhappy wouldn’t know about this review as they would only know about the hotel from the hotel board. There have been negative reviews on this site before followed by glowing ones, which may be due to the management correcting the flaws. I hope that this review will do so (apart from firing Paul which I doubt because I think he’s a relative) because as I say it IS a good value for people especially families that can’t otherwise afford two rooms.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member