“Tony-Award Winning Regional Theatre” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Globe Theatre

Old Globe Theatre
1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, CA 92101 (Balboa Park)
619-234-5623
Website
Update attraction details
Ranked #5 of 215 attractions in San Diego
Type: Theaters
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: One of the nation's top regional theaters, the Old Globe continues to draw more than 300,000 people annually.
San Diego, California
14 attraction reviews
“Tony-Award Winning Regional Theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Anytime is a good time to visit The Old Globe Theatre. During the summer, three theatres are in operation: a large main stage, a small arena stage, and the outdoor Festival Stage where three plays are done in repertory. The repertory typically includes to Shakespeare plays and a third, more contemporary piece. Staging on all stages ranges from brilliantly creative to absolutely magical. Actors with excellent stage, film, and TV credentials are featured along with topnotch directors and designers. Centered in Balboa Park, this is the place for an evening or matinee of outstanding theatre. Backstage tours are also available for visitors. Simply call the theatre office to find out whether one is being offered during your stay.

Stoney Creek, ON, Canada
7 attraction reviews
“Live Theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

There are three separate theatres in Balboa Park and we only managed to attend one performance. It was an excellent performance of Double Indemnity. I imagine the other plays are of the same caliber. The location is easy to get to by bus and the park itself is interesting and free.

San Diego, California
8 attraction reviews
“Always a good theatrical experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'll be honest. I'm not overly in love with the Globe. I have other favorite theaters. Nevertheless, although I didn't renew my annual subscription this year, I'd did buy one for the Summer. I have no fault with the choice of plays, the actors or the theaters. However, it is very difficult to get a good to great seat in general. The patronage of the theater is very strong and because of that it just isn't possible to break into the first 1/3 of the orchestra seats. I've tried, but I'm always way to far back to really enjoy the performances. Also, be warned, the theater is cold. They do tell you to bring a sweater or something to keep you warm and you should. Sometimes it is so cold that you can't enjoy the play. I go to the theater in San Diego two to threes times per month, so I'm not unaware of the offerings. I think for your money the Cygnet is an excellent alternative to the Globe. Also, parking is nothing short of a nightmare on week-ends at Balboa Park.

San Diego
10 attraction reviews
“EXELLENT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you love theatre then you will love the Old Globe. The actors are world renowned and the plays are always great. All three theatres are wonderful and there are no bad seats. I have not been to Broadway yet, but I think it and outstanding group of extremely talented people here in San Diego. A lovely café for you enjoyment before and at intermission as well. I try to go several times a year. I have never been disappointed. Some plays I have seen twice as I take my Mom or other friend after seeing with my husband.

None
41 attraction reviews
“What can you say world class theater in San Diego at a price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The theater is excellent, puts on world class plays. The cast are amazing and they have a celebrity cast draw. You can often see major stars performing in the plays here. The physical plant is excellent as well. The only issue is that the ticket prices are high. I guess you get what you pay for.