“Always a good theatrical experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Old Globe Theatre

Old Globe Theatre
1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, CA 92101 (Balboa Park)
619-234-5623
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 349 things to do in San Diego
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the nation's top regional theaters, the Old Globe continues to draw more than 300,000 people annually.
San Diego, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Always a good theatrical experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'll be honest. I'm not overly in love with the Globe. I have other favorite theaters. Nevertheless, although I didn't renew my annual subscription this year, I'd did buy one for the Summer. I have no fault with the choice of plays, the actors or the theaters. However, it is very difficult to get a good to great seat in general. The patronage of the theater is very strong and because of that it just isn't possible to break into the first 1/3 of the orchestra seats. I've tried, but I'm always way to far back to really enjoy the performances. Also, be warned, the theater is cold. They do tell you to bring a sweater or something to keep you warm and you should. Sometimes it is so cold that you can't enjoy the play. I go to the theater in San Diego two to threes times per month, so I'm not unaware of the offerings. I think for your money the Cygnet is an excellent alternative to the Globe. Also, parking is nothing short of a nightmare on week-ends at Balboa Park.

San Diego, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“EXELLENT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

If you love theatre then you will love the Old Globe. The actors are world renowned and the plays are always great. All three theatres are wonderful and there are no bad seats. I have not been to Broadway yet, but I think it and outstanding group of extremely talented people here in San Diego. A lovely café for you enjoyment before and at intermission as well. I try to go several times a year. I have never been disappointed. Some plays I have seen twice as I take my Mom or other friend after seeing with my husband.

None
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“What can you say world class theater in San Diego at a price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The theater is excellent, puts on world class plays. The cast are amazing and they have a celebrity cast draw. You can often see major stars performing in the plays here. The physical plant is excellent as well. The only issue is that the ticket prices are high. I guess you get what you pay for.

Scotland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Rosencrantz & Gildenstern are Dead!! WONDERFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was a wonderful production on the amazing outdoor theatre!We hooted with laughter and were charmed by the sounds of the animals in the nearby zoo! Magic!

Visited July 2013
Los Angeles
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Outdoor theater”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We saw an excellent production of "Rosencrantz and Guidenstern are Dead" at the Summer Shakespeare Festival's outdoor theater. The seats were comfortable. Come prepared for a cool evening; the theater rents blankets if you need them.

Visited July 2013