“Shakespeare in San Diego” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Globe Theatre

Old Globe Theatre
1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, CA 92101 (Balboa Park)
619-234-5623
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 519 things to do in San Diego
Activities: Arts and crafts
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the nation's top regional theaters, the Old Globe continues to draw more than 300,000 people annually.
Glendale, Arizona
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Shakespeare in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I've been to two productions at the Old Globe and enthusiastically recommend them. Our first visit was in June 2011 to see "The Tempest" under the stars. What a treat! It was a feast for the senses. Just a couple of weeks ago we were privileged to see the world premiere of "Somewhere" in the small theater in the round. Even though we sat in the last row we were definitely drawn into the action and felt very much a part of the family.

Visited October 2011

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great Theatre Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

My girlfriend and I saw Jane Austin's Emma at The Old Globe and loved it. The theatre is great and the show itself was fantastic. Outside the theatre, there's a little bar & cafe where you can get a bite to eat or a drink before the show. The theatre is in Balboa Park which is beautiful itself...a great backdrop. There's a parking lot hidden across the street from the Globe. The entrance is around the corner past the valet area. Valet parking is available too and isn't too expensive. I can't wait to go back next time I'm in San Diego.

Visited February 2011
North Bend, Oregon
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 160 helpful votes
“Reasonably good ... but overpriced beyond all reason”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We saw "The Taming of the Shrew" on Aug 8, 2010. Granted, this was the first Old Globe production I'd seen since I was in the 5th or 6th grade. Oh, we'd thought about going many times over the past years. But the crazy high prices always convinced us to do something else.

But having lived in Southern Oregon the past few years, and having seen a number of Oregon Shakespeare Festival productions, we thought it would be worth the cost to compare these two much-loved venues.

Sadly, Oregon Shakespeare Festival wins on both production value and value. Yes, the Old Globe's Shrew production was good. But it just wasn't great. And being a native San Diegan who has always had a soft spot for "our" Globe, it saddens me to say so.

san jose california
“Sammy was AMAZING”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

Went to the Old Globe to see Sammy! What an amazing play. It was nonstop entertainment.. I had never been to the Old Globe before and although I got messed up on parking and had to walk for a long time to find the theatre it was so worth it!

It was a smaller theatre and we had perfect seats. If I go back down to San Diego I will definitely check out what performance is happening.

Sammy is a must see for people who remember him and his brat pack days!

The only reason i am not giving it 5 stars is parking was frustrating!

Durham, North Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great theater experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

The Old Globe Theater is a great place to spend a evening out. The theater is located inside Balboa Park, so you can easily spend a day at the park, get some dinner, and then head to the theater. The theater is small and you really can't get a bad seat. We opted for the cheaper $29 dollars tickets and the seats were great! All the actors in the show we saw, Cornelia, were great! We had such an enjoyable time.