“A nice place for a glass of wine and people watching, but that's about it....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Trattoria La Bocca - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Trattoria La Bocca
515 5th Avenue, San Diego, CA 92101 (Downtown)
(619) 232-3352
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Island Ave. and Market St.
Description: Offering age-old tradition and timeless recipes that have been passed down through generations, the restaurant successfully combines cuisine and atmosphere to create a dining experience that wont soon be forgotten.La bocca is the kind of places that could be your home away from home, smells of spices and homemade cooking fills the air while a friendly and knowledgeable wait staff attends to your needs.To name a few selections include the pollo balsamico(boneless chicken pieces with artichoke hearts, sundry tomatoes, white wine and balsamic vinegar,) Osso buco milanese our Friday night special, slow cooked in a mix vegetable and natural juices served over a saffron risotto.No matter what the occasion calls for or your appetite demands, the friendly staff at la bocca promises to make your next dining experience truly unforgettable. We also offer a full bar and outside dining, happy hour and a complete dinner menu.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A nice place for a glass of wine and people watching, but that's about it....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

I had lunch at the Trattoria La Bocca. The atmosphere was nice. I sat out on the patio and people watched. The waiter was very eccentric, and since I was dining by myself, I found him entertaining.

I felt the price was a bit high, especially for lunch (I spent $50.00 not including the tip on a salad, pasta and two $7.00 glasses of wine). The salad tasted better than the pasta (the pasta tasted okay, but I could have made it myself, and I'm not much of a cook).

All-in-all, this is a nice place to people watch and possibly have a glass of wine or two with a friend, but there are better lunch and dinner options available.

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Laguna Beach, California
“Wow... bad food and bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

The Gaslamp Quarter is full of good restaurants but this one is not it. Perhaps they were short-staffed, but if that is the case don't try to handle so many customers at once. Bad food & service.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“The manager was SO RUDE. We will never go back!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2010

We just moved to San Diego and have enjoyed using the online coupons from sites like Groupon and Local Twist to get to try new places and get to know the area. We went to this restaurant with a coupon from Local Twist and were excited to try it. We spent over 30 min looking for a parking spot (we had no idea how hard it was to get parking on a Sat night in the gaslamp area). We eventually paid $15 to park and lost all our savings from the coupon and were excited to finally arrive. We walked in and the place was DEAD. There was only 1 other couple in the restaurant. We sat quickly and our server was good. I got the chicken marsalla and it was ok. We also got a stuffed egplant appitizer that was served table side for us and was nice. We made sure not to order any special promotion dishes as per the coupon. We let the server know as soon as we sat that we had a coupon so there were no surprises and when we got the bill it was not taken off. We mentioned this to the server and he appologized and took it to his manager to make the agustment. The manager then slunk over to our table and very sarcastically and rudely said, "Thank you so much for bringing your coupon in here." and then slunk away. I was shocked! We told the waiter what the manager had done and he said this was not the first time he had done that and he told the owner. The owner gave us a $10 gift card for our next visit. We should have left it there because we will NEVER go back. The manager's comment ruined our whole night.

If anyone wants the gift card feel free to contact me because I will NOT be going back.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Denver, Colorado
“La Bocca was a rip off”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

My wife and I went to LaBoca last night 10/14/10. Our dinner was fairly good but we got ripped off on the bottle of wine we ordered. It was suppose to be $52 and when the bill came it was $80. The waiter said they were out of the less expensive wine and he had told us that. No mention was ever made about them being out of a wine. The manager came by and acted like he knew nothing. BE AWARE of a bait and switch!!!!!!

I highly recommend staying away from this business.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Santee
“Atmosphere loud, food less than average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

The night my wife & I went there was live music and we couldn't even talk to each other. Even once the music stopped, it was still such a loud environment that talking to each other across the table was difficult. The service was good, waiter and staff attentive. My food was okay, but my wife's chicken had a lot of cartilage and was bland tasting. The chicken was also a little rubbery as if it was reheated.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere