“What a great way to spend an afternoon!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sailing charters aboard the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht, Stars & Stripes USA-11. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our large screen monitor. The photos & videos will then be posted on Picasa Web Album for free access and use. The total cost of $100 for adults & $50 for children (18 & under) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Denver, Colorado
“What a great way to spend an afternoon!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Chuck and I had an absolute blast aboard the Stars & Stripes USA-11. Lynn and his great volunteer crew were amazing. We had the opportunity to learn about the craft, grind as the sail ascended, and even take a turn as Captain.
We would highly recommend this "3-hour Tour". It's fun, refreshing, and a great way to spend the afternoon in San Diego. We will definitely be back for another visit.

Visited October 2012

Columbus, Ohio
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Lynn Hanna and his crew were great hosts of a fantastic experiance. This was more like being invited to go sailing on a great boat by a long lost friend than feeling like a tourist. This is a must do in San Diego. I am an avid racer and thought of trying to rent a boat for the day, but didn't as I would probably only be disappointed. I picked Stars & Stripes 11 and will do it again in when I'm in San Diego. I could go on and on, but this was the best 3 hours I spent in San Diego and made some new friends while I was at it. You have sailing choices in San Diego and Stars and Stripes 11 is no brainer.

Visited September 2012
Lodi, California
12 attraction reviews
“Wow! It was the highlight of our trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

When I heard that rain was forecast for Thursday, the day we were booked to sail, I e-mailed Captain Lynn late Monday night. I was concerned that the rain would cancel our sailing. I think if Captain Lynn is not on the boat he must be responding to communications as he had always been very responsive with all my e-mails. His responsiveness allowed us to reschedule for the Wednesday sailing. As it turned out Wednesday’s conditions were perfect (Thursday not so much so not sure they sailed). The perfect conditions made our sailing experience fantastic. The crew was great. For our sailing we had 6 crew members plus Captain Lynn, so having guests who wanted to help in tasks such as raising the jib sail or taking the grinders positions for moving sails during the turns and especially when hoisting the huge main sail was helpful and maybe necessary for the crew. Captain Lynn also gave all the guests a chance to steer the boat. But if you wanted you could just enjoy the day, especially if you are with enough other guests who liked helping sail the boat. I was unsure how wet we would get on the boat so I wrapped anything I was taking on board that I didn’t want getting wet, in a Ziploc bag, well I didn’t need to worry about that as the boat never took on any water even when it was tipped in what felt like 45 degrees tilt but I’m sure the tilt was much less than that. Beside all our things were stored below so the stuff did not move about when the boat was tilting or were not in our way as we moved about the boat. It was just a great 3 hours with a great crew and it was fun to meet and talk to the other fellow guests. I'm looking forward to getting the photos on line that they took and previewed at the end of the sail.

Visited October 2012
Tampa, Florida
“Great way to see San Diego!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Having traveled to San Diego many times in the past few years, the trip on the USA-11 is one of the most fun and memorable activities in the area. The boat is beautiful, well maintained and has a fun crew. We spent about three hours racing around San Diego bay with beautiful views of downtown San Diego. It was also amazing to get up close with some of the Navy facilities in the area - sailing next to the massive ships, seeing the dolphin training facilities.

The boat is gorgeous, fast and very smooth on the water. There is a fantastic crew who takes care of everything and gets you in on the action of running the boat - pulling up sails, tacking, driving. You really get the sense of what it is like to be part of a major sailboat race. During the sail, there are snacks and drinks. After the sail, everyone heads back to the marina for beer and to look at the pictures taken throughout the day. Afterwards, they even share the link to the pictures.

My wife and I went on this trip and I would highly recommend as something fun for couples, friends or families with older kids (younger kids might get bored). I highly recommend sailing with Lynn and his crew and we will definitely be back again in the future.

Visited July 2012
Vancouver, WA
“Great experience, Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our group of 18 company presidents and spouses booked Stars and Stripes USA-11 for an afternoon in September. A big hit. Lynn and his crew are great hosts, and the boat is a top-shelf real racing boat. The great thing about San Diego harbor, and this sailboat, is the easy action on the water, not the stuff that makes folks feel seasick. I'd rate this as a great way to experience real big-boat sailing without spending a million bucks.

Visited September 2012