“OMG! This place was even better than I could imagine!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Crab Hut is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #118 of 3,705 Restaurants in San Diego
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“OMG! This place was even better than I could imagine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My friends who live in the area brought us there and told us what it was. The Crab Hut! CRAB, who wouldn't love that? It was so much more than that. I ordered clams, crawfish, snow crab and it was all in delivered in individual "baggies". All the flavors were in each bag - the herbs and spices. They always ordered theirs with the Full House, which was every spice offered. I ate every bite and left there as "happy as a clam"! I'm not even sure where that colloquialism was invented but I was HAPPY! If you love seafood and you really only want the best without all the pomp and circumstance, this is the place!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Rochester, New York
1,833 reviews 1,833 reviews
1,227 restaurant reviews
“Average food, not up to the rest of the area food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We ate here one night, as we wanted to try some New Orleans fare. (I've spent some time in NOLA in the past.) The Crab Hut is an EXTREMELY informal restaurant located on Broadway, where they use paper sheets for tablecloths, and the interior is done up in a faux nautical motif. It looks different, although not quite attractive.

For an appetizer, we ordered a plate of fried oysters, which came out very, very fried, although the taste of the oyster itself didn't really come through. (I've never expereienced that before.) The breading was very thick and very dry, which may have been why I didn't really taste the oysters.

I ordered a plate of jambalaya for the main course, and was a bit disappointed with what I got. It didn't taste bad, but it was far from unique or good. My serving had exactly three shrimp, and all the other seafood was too small to appreciate. There were bit of what looked like crawfish, but I couldn't really tell. Also, the andouille sausage was chopped into such small pieces that they got lost in the rice...bummer. The sauce was pretty tasty, but the whole dish was more like tomato-ie rice than jambalaya. Like I said, it wasn't BAD, but I can make it better myself.

Service was prompt and friendly...no problems there.

Not a really bad meal, but there is no way I'm going back.

Auckland
“Wow - Can't wait to get back again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We drove past this restaurant and walked back to it later in the day looking for a relaxed place to eat. We were seated straight away and the server was there almost immediately. We ordered a plated seafood dish and one of their 'order by the lb' dishes. They were DELICIOUS. Prepared to get really messy if you want to! My order came in a boiled bag with an amazing sauce. That was it - open up the bag and dig in - putting the shells onto the table, no plates, no silverware and lots of mess. It felt strange to be doing this (in a restaurant) for about 5 seconds then as soon as the flavors hit me I forgot about everyone else. Best food I've had for a long time. If you like Cajun food go here!

Visited April 2013
“The best hands on food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Our server made the right portion recommendation among the many options the menu offered. The bib and gloves were fun! The king crab was to die for! We've been talking about this place for days!

Atlanta, GA
“No breakfast and I wanted seafood...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Fresh shrimp, unique serving style (the shrimp come in a plastic bag with the selected sauce), and pleasurably messy. Also had their chowder which was excellent.

Visited February 2013