“Great Beach” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mission Beach

Mission Beach
Mission Boulevard at Garnet Avenue, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Beach)
619 221 8900
Improve this listing
Visit Mission Beach like an insider
Top Rated
$40*
and up
La Jolla Coast Bike Tour with Downhill Ride from...
Ranked #33 of 495 things to do in San Diego
Activities: Biking, Swimming
More attraction details
Owner description: Along with Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach, Mission Beach forms the coastline of San Diego.
Hays, Kansas
9 attraction reviews
“Great Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Spent the afternoon at South Mission beach. It wasn't as crowded as the other beaches and was able to park close.

Visited August 2013

Melbourne, Australia
40 attraction reviews
“Love it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

How I would love to live out here in one of the houses along the beach.. We were in San Diego for 2 nights and I hung out at Mission Beach on our first arvo. It was great, very relaxing, calm and peaceful which I badly needed after our trip to Vegas.

I love San Diego and I love Mission Beach. It's quite busy yes but I didn't have any issue finding a spot where I could just lie down and chill while listening to some nice tunes.

There's a good selection of bars and eateries around and you'll also find some shops where you can get souvenirs.

The crowd is quite diverse - moms and dads playing with their kids, people like myself relaxing, others jogging. It's a great feeling and keeps things interesting.

I love it and this would totally be where I would go for runs if I lived in San Diego!

Visited May 2013
Del Mar
14 attraction reviews
“Average to good varies upon your age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I'm a native San Diegan and would consider Mission Beach to be your first choice if you're in your 20's only. It's a partying beach. If you're a man in your 30's and you want to check out the hot babes - you can find them at this beach. However, if you have young kids, this would not be my first choice to take them out of all the beaches in San Diego county. I would not take young teens here at all. In fact, I don't take my kids to this beach and I would certainly not drop off my teenagers here alone - which I do at Del Mar, La Jolla Shores and Torrey Pines (note that my kids are very surf savvy after years of summers spent at Del Mar Junior Lifeguards.)

If you're staying in this area and want to spend a few hours with your kids, Mission Beach is a good beach, just not my first choice. It has a fun boardwalk to bike around, lots of tourist shops, you can rent bodyboards and surfboards (and rollerskates). Belmont Park is fun for the elementary school crowd for a couple of hours. Parking can be tight - but this is true of most beach areas in California, it's not really any worse here than throughout SoCal.

Note that even though this would not be my first choice now (though I came here fairly often when I was in my 20's and early 30s), San Diego is a pretty safe city. However, I don't know if it's still true, but Mission Beach at night used to be where some gangs would go to party. It was also the area where college age kids (and gangs) would have huge parties and exhibit very bad behavior which resulted in an alcohol ban throughout the beach area. However, there are plenty of open air bars where you can still enjoy a drink if you want one.

North Pacific Beach which is farther down the boardwalk is a little nicer than Mission Beach with better waves if you want to surf and a much calmer ambiance.

Visited July 2013
Seattle, Washington
24 attraction reviews
“Very fun but poor parking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I went to Mission beach and Belmont Park for a family trip. We had a lot of fun once we found a parking spot, which took almost an hour. They should consider a parking garage. We had to park across the bridge and walk a long ways to get there. And that was after driving around for over 45 minutes looking for an open spot. We noticed dozens of other parking lot vultures circling so this is obviously a problem. I would have taken public transportation but I just flew into town and came directly from the airport.

Visited August 2013
El Paso, Texas
32 attraction reviews
“Nice beach but its packed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This a nice beach to visit but there is a bunch of people that come here. And it gets very congested lots a nice surf shops and some food around the area.

Visited July 2013