“Great newer Courtyard!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station

You added Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #19 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great newer Courtyard!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed here for a week on business in the Point Loma area and picked this hotel since the reviews were overwhelmingly positive and the location. I was not disappointed. The hotel is located in a good spot and only a few minutes if that, from the airport. If you are headed downtown each day this isn't the best location for that. There are a few restaurants nearby, and the walking trail that runs along the water behind the hotel is great. I didn't use the restaurants in the hotel but the bar sure was hopping each evening when I would get back.

Check in was uneventful and I was put in a King room with a small balcony looking towards the Homewood Suites next door. The room was clean and definitely had the newer design you will only find in newer Courtyards. The bathroom was large and sufficient, although the door opened out into the foyer instead of into the bathroom, which was strange since there is plenty of room inside the bathroom unlike some older Courtyards where the door barely clears the toilet. Not the case here. The bed was super comfortable. WIfi was standard hotel quality, not that great but should work for anything other than video streaming. There was wired internet as well which wasn't any faster. AC got nice and cold, the thermostat wouldn't switch over to "heat" mode, not sure if it was broken or simply disabled(I didn't need heat anyway). My room also had a second, bigger fridge along with a brand new microwave which was fantastic. The original "cube" fridge was below a counter with a single-serve Keurig machine which is also a nice touch. The k-cups taken/used each day were replaced every single day. Kind of weird that consuming the bottle of water in the room resulted in a $2.50 charge yet the 5 kcups provided were free, which have a value of about $3(and were restocked every day).

The only complaint would be the lack of TV channels, a couple HD channels didn't come in all week so there were only 9 working HD channels, and perhaps 25 regular channels(several were fuzzy as well), a pretty meager selection from many other hotels I have stayed at. My TV was a flat panel LCD but definitely an older model from when the hotel opened a few years ago. The first remote was non-functional but a simple visit to the front desk solved this problem with a replacement.

I've stayed at a lot of Courtyards and this one is better than most with the newer rooms, a Keurig, microwave/big fridge, and nice grounds and a couple restaurants. If your business takes to the Point Loma area/base this is a solid choice.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side have a view of downtown/walking trail/water instead of the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you for your nice review of our hotel. As you know, many of our guests rely on Trip Advisor reviews to help them decide on where to stay. I am happy to see that you picked our hotel based on the many positive reviews we have received, and that we were able to live up to those expectations. I apologize for the minor I.T. issues you experienced in the room, and have informed our engineering team of the issues. Thank you again for choosing our hotel based on our guests’ positive feedback, and for providing feedback of your own!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

The nicest Courtyard we've every stayed at, and we've stayed at many. It is quite new so that's part of if but also the hotel is very spacious and the staff is professional, friendly, and accommodating. We stayed for one night to explore Liberty Station and surrounding areas. We had our bikes and petaled all around the area during the day and that night enjoyed dinner and dancing in Gaslamp which was a short cab ride away. The Courtyard is in a beautiful location and convenient to explore many areas of downtown.

• Stayed November 2013
I just finished reading another response that mentioned we are the best Courtyard that guest has ever stayed at, so needless to say, this has been a good day! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at our hotel! I am so proud to see that we have been leaving a lasting impression on our guests, and are leading the Courtyard pack. Thank you again, and we hope you return to San Diego and our hotel soon!
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were greeted by a smiling, cheerful Samantha who answered all my questions with no complaint. Our room was beyond clean! Beyond spotless!!! We had two queen beds (Rm 460) and the room was very spacious and well appointed. Nice comfy chair beside the window and comfy chair at the work station. Nice flat screen t.v.; dorm size refrigerator and microwave. Our linens were fantastic; mattresses perfect and as Goldilocks said, "Not to hard, not to soft, JUST RIGHT!" Bathroom was great! Plenty of counter space and for once, the bottom of my shoes did NOT stick to the floor from lack of mopping! Nice grab bars in front and towards the rear of the tub and the shower spray was excellent. There was absolutely NOTHING to complain about where the rooms were concerned.

The outside is also like a resort! The hotel is situated right on the water (lagoon???) with nice, paved sidewalks that seem to go forever. There are even benches beside them facing the water and that is nice in the late afternoon for enjoying a glass of wine or having a beer.

The swimming pool and hot tub are great; also a nice covered area with wicker furniture; fire pit off to the side of the covered area with plenty of chairs. Another area off the fire pit area with tables and chairs!

The hotel has a small restaurant (breakfast buffet $12.50; two eggs, meat, potatoes, toast was $9.50 (I think). We did McD's carry-out and brought it back to our room. The bar is really nice with quite a few good beer choices; our bartender had a great sense of humor. There is also a Waterside Deli with good choices for light b'fasts, salads and sandwiches and soups. We will try that next time we stay there.

Every employee we encountered during our visit there was so friendly and polite; even the Housekeeping ladies seemed friendly and always spoke first.

We used two Marriott gift cards so our room rate with tax was only $79.88 for this lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and chairs!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel! We could not have asked for a BETTER REVIEW! I am so delighted to hear that every aspect of your stay met or exceeded your expectations. From Samantha at the Front Desk, to the great job our Housekeeping staff does every day, our convenient and friendly dining options, and our spacious and well appointed rooms; thank you so much for recognizing our awesome staff and a property we are very proud of. I will be sharing your kind words with our entire team, as this is the type of feedback we strive and work hard for every day!
orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is the hotel we used to break up our travel from Florida to Maui. The hotel has airport transportation making it easy to use. The staff was very help for "thing to do and see" and the hotel is nicely fitted. Good food services and all the things you find in a full service marriott. Loved it and will continue to use it as our main hotel for stop overs.

Room Tip: Very convenient to Sea Port village and the home of the aircraft carrier Midway!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Wow! Just the title of your post is awesome to see! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our hotel. With so many hotels to choose from in San Diego, including multiple Courtyards, we are delighted to see you felt ours is not only one of the best in town, but in the world! I hope you enjoyed your Maui vacation, and I am glad we were able to start your trip off right.
Minster, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

I selected this hotel due to its good location relative to the San Diego airport. When I arrived, it was late in the evening and was happy to see that they upgraded me to a suite. It was a super nice room with my on Keurig coffee machine and K-cups already stocked for my use. The living area was nice with a helpful work desk and big flat screen. Plenty of arm chairs and a sofa. Large wardrobe for clothes, plus closet in the bedroom area. This hotel has a small dining area, and semi sports bar for cocktails. Also a friendly place to watch the ball game. I will try this hotel again, if I return to San Diego.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am happy to hear we were able to upgrade you to one of our suites, and that you really enjoyed the room. I am glad that you were impressed with all of the in room amenities, and that all of your needs were met. Most of all, I am very happy that you will consider us again for a future visit to San Diego-We would love to have you back!
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My experience with airport hotels is that they generally have few amenities, nothing within walking distance and they are only worth staying at if you are on a layover between flights. This Courtyard is not like that at all and I was pleasantly surprised with the beautiful property and all of the restaurants and shopping nearby.

I have to commend the outstanding staff, especially both of the airport shuttle drivers. Unfortunately, I didn't get either of their names but the woman who picked me up at the airport was so sweet and helpful. She immediately offered a bottle of water when I got in the bus. After providing some great information on nearby restaurants, she proceeded to invite all of us on the shuttle to a cocktail party that was being held for local vendors in the courtyard area of the hotel.

The gentleman who drove the shuttle the next morning for the 4:30 am pickup also offered water right away and was so kind and courteous at such an early hour. There were a few other people on the shuttle and the driver had us all chatting with each other even though we started out as sleepwalking zombies.

The front desk staff were also very kind, efficient and helpful upon check-in and when I needed general information about the area.

This hotel is in a beautiful location. The property and rooms are all very clean and updated. I will definitely return here when vacationing in San Diego.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This hotel was chosen for an economic reason as the ones near the Convention Centre on Harbour Drive were charging twice the amount. I stayed 2 nights.

The check-in was swift. The king - size bed room was very comfortable, spacious enough for a 2 - seater couch, a working desk, small balcony overlooking across Homewood Suites by Hilton.

All necessities were available including hair- dryer, ironing board, luggage rack, enough sets of draws with a generous closet for clothes. A coffee-making machine, coffee and mugs was provided. Unfortunately, there was no water kettle for making tea for non coffee drinkers. Bathroom was clean with lots of towels. Water from showerhead was not as powerful or strong as one would prefer.

The dining room was full at breakfast and offered a reasonable buffet with good selection at $10.50 for continental and $12.50 for a full including eggs. A la carte menu was also available. This was not a fancy diner and it did not pretend to be in any way. There was also a deli. The bar was a popular spot in the afternoons serving alcoholic drinks only. The business centre offered free coping for up to 25 copies and was a comfortable place to sit on the ground floor. There was a small swimming pool outside and the al freso area was not in full function this time of the year.

My total bill came to $540 for 2 nights including miscellaneous charges and tax. The only problem I encountered was the location which was far from downtown, a 12-15 min by taxi. Within the neighborhood, there were a small number of restaurants 5-10 minutes walking distance away. Otherwise this family- styled hotel provided all the basics one would need and delivered quality services efficiently.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to post about your recent stay. You are correct that we don’t have a separate kettle in the rooms however we do provide tea packages which can be made in our (in-room) Keurig machines. Thank you for mentioning the showerhead and I am sorry that it was not as powerful as desired. I will have our engineering department look at the shower head to make sure it is working correctly. I hope that the next time you visit San Diego you’ll hang out with us again.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station? Share your experiences!