“They really go that extra mile for you” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station

Save Saved
You added Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2592 Laning Road, San Diego, CA 92106   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #17 of 269 hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“They really go that extra mile for you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel is really a wonderful place to retreat while in San Diego. Very centrally located, spotless and comfortable, this was just right for a jumping off spot for many desirable neighborhoods and attractions. The breakfast was better than I've seen in a hotel of this grade or many with higher rates.

The staff, and manager Chris in particular, made this stay standout as he truly went above and beyond for us in several ways. We arrived to check in very late and he was already done with his shift, departing for the evening. Chris overheard our inquiry about upgrading our room package to include breakfast (for a nominal fee as was available online) being partially challenged by someone manning the desk (only because this person found the system closed to this kind of booking at this time, not for a lack of wanting to help us make this change). He doubled back to the desk and made a courteous override so that we could have this package and enjoy the breakfast. Chris was really out the door, and without a moment's thought he wanted us to be happy. This marked a very nice tone for our stay.

Too many examples to cite, but the little things really wowed us! Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I’ll make sure to give Chris a special thank you. I love hearing about our staff doing the little extra things that make a difference.

Thanks for sharing your experience and travel safe.

781 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Ferndale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel has everything!! Great location, excellent staff & rooms are very comfortable. On a recent business trip I had a challenging schedule, Ms. Chelsea Carone "Went above and beyond" to ensure that the stay happend with out further complications. I was a "Die Hard" Hilton customer, I think I will add more point's to my Marriott account thanks to this stay. Restaurants, playgrounds and walking / jogging trails are very close (With in walking distance). A short taxi ride will get you down town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hilton has some great properties but I’m happy to see that Chelsea was able to convert you. I’ll make sure to let her know.

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments and hope to see you soon.
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Rooms are beautiful and well equipped. Walking paths and restaurants on the "campus". Staff was very friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed my ride to the airport with shuttle driver, Sandy. She has a great personality and genuineness about her that made us feel welcome, appreciated, and well, at home! You'll enjoy this hotel and staff.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. I agree that Sandy is a great first impression for our property; she’ll be thrilled to read your comments.

Travel safe and see you again.
Ft. Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I just left the hotel today. There are so many hotel choices in SD, but I will definitely keep this one on my "preferred" list.

Check in was a breeze. The front desk staff were friendly and efficient. I was located on the 3rd floor. Some rooms have a balcony. Mine did not, but I gotta tell ya, the view of the harbor more than made me smile - despite the fact that I didn't upgrade to a balcony room.

More on the room: really great colors. It had a flat screen and a refrigerator. The fridge was inside of a cabinet so I didn't hear the annoying hum all night (a plus). No safe in the room, but I used the safe deposit box at the front desk with no problem and it was free to use. The bed was fine. They offer lots of pillows which is a plus.

Food choices: San Diego offers so very many fantastic places to eat. But if you don't have a car, do not fret. Not only do they have a restaurant on site, but they have a deli and a market place that sells snacks. The fresh salads and sandwiches offer at the market place were fresh - they could hardly keep them on the shelf. The hotel is located within a medium size gated complex. Instead of driving one morning, I strolled to Starbucks. There was a nail salon and a lot of other places to eat inside of the complex as well. Within a few blocks you can get any other type of food you desire.

Breakfast: they have a buffet with lots of hot foods. The chef will cook pancakes, waffles or omelets. I saw oatmeal, salmon, fresh fruit, lots of cereal, bacon, eggs, muffins, all kinds of juices, tea, coffee, etc. (great...I'm hungry now). If you don't do buffets, just order what you want a la carte. Room service is also available.

Property size: You can tell they cater to groups and/or are used to being full or near capacity. There are large meetings rooms and the property is nicely spread out. The parking lot was always packed, but they have designed the property well. The only time I saw a really big crowd was at breakfast time, but I still didn't have to wait for a table (thankfully). Plenty of pool chairs, tons of outside seating. You can lounge for hours either in or out of the sun. I saw lots of people jogging, walking and biking on a safe path that runs right by the hotel.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable. I was there on a mini-vacation and to see some friends, but I could definitely see going there on business or with a conference group. I even did my own laundry - with the free laundry soap they gave me. They have a free shuttle to the San Diego airport which was only a mile away. The planes were not terribly noisy, but there is a curfew on flights overnight to help minimize bothering people in the surrounding area.

PARKING: It was free!
Internet: It was free!
Remote printing: It was free!
Citrus water in the lobby: It was free!
Shuttle to and from the airport: Free, Free, Free!

You get the picture. This hotel offers a whole lot for the rate I paid - which is why I continue to be a Marriott Rewards member. I love a good value. Hotel was also on a nice block. Laning street had these great townhomes between the harbor and the next main road (Rosecrans Street). The area was pretty quiet at night. I didn't feel uncomfortable walking around by myself. I saw families, solo women, groups and they all seemed very comfortable. Unless I need a kitchen for a longer stay, I really look forward to staying here again.

Room Tip: Arrive close to the cited "check in" time to get the best choices. Ask for a room facing...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Wow – I think I’ve found our next sale person. Our whole team works really hard to make sure each guest has a special experience. I’m glad we were able to do that for you.

I truly appreciate the comments and hope to see you soon.

Travel Safe
Rochester,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our company held a 3 day conference for his Mastermind Group and dinner event at this location in December 2012- we received the best event service possible!! As his EA, I plan these events and have never worked with people more helpful or thorough than this Sales and Catering Team (Chelsea and Heidi were the best!). All meeting, catering and A/V needs went off without a hitch and the service and food at the private dinner event that was held on their terrace were amazing!! Yes, the rumor is true... the best margaritas in SD are made right at Courtyard Liberty Station by Jim Crawford!! Our members were thrilled with their rooms, the property and all accommodations. My boss says that this property and this team are the gold-standard- and I have to agree. We will go back again for sure!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I agree, Chelsea and Heidi are the best and we are fortunate to have them on our team. I’m not sure what Jim does with his margaritas but as long as he keeps doing it – I’m find with it.

We are all looking forward to hosting your next event.

Take Care
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

The service at this hotel was excellent; we met several different front-desk employees, and each one was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were standard Courtyard rooms: clean, spacious and well appointed for the cost. The hotel has a restaurant that serves a brunch, as well as a cafe which offers smaller selections for breakfast and lunch. We would grab a free coffee and then a pastry and sit outside near the pool area. Very tranquil, very pretty. The pool is small, but sufficient. A few other restaurants within walking distance as well as a Starbucks (although the hotel also serves Starbucks).

Hotel did have a faint smell of sewage near the elevator when we first arrived. We raised this with the front-desk and the smell seemed to have gone by the next day. The smell did not permeate into the rooms. So, all good there.

Our room was situated next to a large fan situated on the first-floor roof of the conference area extension. This was noisy (we had ear plugs) and did cause a vibration in the room that could be disconcerting to some. Ask for a room down one of the two wings rather than near the elevator.

Staff were good at offering up directions and recommendations for meals nearby. Liberty Station area has groceries, a few shops. Nice streets and waterfront area for walking.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view. Elevators are in an enclosed vestibule, so that is not a problem. However, t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
I’m happy to hear the service was excellent but want to apologize for the smell and noise issue. I did want to thank you for mentioning the fan noise, I’ll have my engineers have a look to make sure it is operating correctly. I couldn’t agree more on the waterfront area – it is a great area for walking and relaxing.

Travel Safe
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Really enjoyed a recent stay at this Marriott. Decor in the room was really attractive. Very different to your typical hotel room. Peaceful setting, but close to everything. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for recommending us to friends. I’m happy that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will visit again.

Till next time.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station? Share your experiences!