We stayed here from September 8-12, 2011. It's the perfect location, particularly if you have young children. There's a nice, big playground in the Liberty Station area that only takes 5 minutes to walk to on a nice paved running/biking path from the hotel. Some of the playground is on soft turf and some is on sand, so take your sand toys. The front desk told us they had sand toys we could borrow, but we never did. Next to the playground is a bathroom as well, which is convenient with young kids. The playground was extremely clean and had a nice number of kids playing on it. The playground overlooks a river or inlet of some kind, so nice for the parents to enjoy as well. The beautiful jogging trail goes for miles!
If you want to walk a little further, you can walk 10 minutes from the hotel on a paved path and go over the foot bridge to the bay where there's a beach (Spanish Landing) and the kids can safely play in the water. There's also a playground and a bathroom facility at this area as well.
Trader Joe's is a 10 minute walk from the hotel, which was convenient for us to get some groceries for the mini-fridge in the hotel room. There are many other stores in the same complex as Trader Joe's, but we never checked them out.
Liberty Station (where the hotel is) has several restaurants and we highly recommend Oggi's. When the power was out in all of southern California for 12 hours or so, they were trying to accomodate customers by working in their kitchen by flashlight. Very hard workers and good food!
The front desk staff was wonderful and helpful. They remembered us by name and greeted us each time we came and went. We did rent a car and loved the free parking at the hotel. The hotel itself and the individual rooms are clean and modern. The WiFi worked smoothly for us as well.
Their breakfast buffet was reasonable and we thought it had a nice variety (oatmeal, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, bagels, english muffins, juices, coffee, etc) for the price of $10. Was $12 if you wanted the hot food (eggs, waffles, sausage, bacon).
The pool was the perfect temperature and never over crowded when we were there. Although, it is starting to get a little cooler in San Diego at this time of year, especially when the sun goes down, so take layers!
We could hear airplanes from time to time and could see them out our window, but it didn't bother our 3 year old during naps and didn't keep us awake at night. I think the volume of planes flying significantly drops from 11 PM- 7 AM , which helped. If you are a super sensitive sleeper, take ear plugs, but we didn't think it was an issue.
The location of this hotel is great with it being next to the airport and only a 5 minute drive to downtown. All the conveniences you need are right around the hotel.
If we return to San Diego, we'll stay at this hotel for sure and will recommend it to everyone we know.
If you have children, stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The brand-new waterfront Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station is nestled along the water just minutes from Downtown, SeaWorld, San Diego Zoo, and the historic Gaslamp district. The hotel is adjacent to a beautiful 46-acre waterfront park with miles of waterfront trails. A fresh-stylish on-site restaurant, bar and deli offer multiple dining options with indoor and outdoor seating. Experience a modern destination combined with the rich history that can be found in Liberty Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Marriott, Orbitz, Tingo, Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott San Diego Airport/Liberty Station Hotel San Diego
- Courtyard San Diego Airport
- San Diego Courtyard