“Slept on a cloud” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #69 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Vancouver
“Slept on a cloud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

My review will be short because we were only sent here from our actual hotel, the Bristol because they overbooked. All I can say is these were the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. I hate to be cliche but it was literally like sleeping on a cloud.

The lobby was really beautiful and rooms were clean. Since we only stayed one night that's about all I can say about it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
portland or
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

If you like Ikea you'll like this hotel. Very compartmentalized, hard to navigate and get around. For a newer hotel I'd expect a more comfortable experience overall. The elevators are only accessible from one side even though they are in the center of the main lobby, you have to go outside to access Starbucks or Fox Grille, if you're walking you have to enter a side almost employee type entrance as they discourage walking up the long drive to the main lobby entrance (when driving). The staff was not very friendly and I would not stay here again. It's tucked at the North end of the convention center and the pedestrian bridge to get over to the gaslamp area is still not complete. You have to walk an extra 1/4 mi to get anywhere. The Marriott or Omni or the older Hilton in the gas lamp would be more convenient locations. They also charged $15 a day for internet access in your room, ridiculous.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

My wife and I went here to celebrate our 7 year Wedding Anniversary. It was much more than I expected. The manager went above and beyond the call of duty to accomodate my room request. He was able to give us an incredible room with a view while the hotel was sold out and they were hosting 1200 Marines for their annual ball.

The Manager also had a beautiful array of chocolates in our room when we arrived as well. Truly much more than my wife and I expected.

I think the hotel has a great location if you get a room looking north you get to see the whole bay, the Marina, USS Midway, Cruise Ships, Gaslamp District and some of Petco park. Even though you have to pay for parking it was a breeze getting in and out with the Marine ball going on as well. The view during the day and night were both spectacular.

The rooms were very silent, we were on the 27th floor and you could hardly hear the wind let alone you thouhgt there'd be more noise with all that was going on in the hotel.

We did not have a chance to use any of the Hotel's facilities, the restaurants and pool looked great and we look forward to trying them out the next time we come here.

Very accommodating hotel, everything is brand new and the staff is great from the manager to the houskeepers.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

From the moment I stepped into the lobby, I knew I made the right choice. Beautifully done, very classy lobby. I was greeted quickly and given a room on a high floor, after requesting a quiet floor.

The rooms are great. Well appointed and very clean. Some of the HDTV channels did not come in but that's ok. There were plenty of other channels to watch. My room was always made up quickly, bathroom very clean. Didn't feel like I had to lock anything away for fear of it disappearing.

Had room service one night. Very good chicken wrap and it was delivered quickly - within 15 minutes. Didn't eat at the restaurants, only drank at the sports bar and hotel lobby bar. Everyone was very friendly. I paid $11 for a martini, which seemed high, but I'm from the midwest. I loved that they had iPads in the bar so I could check my gmail quickly. It's weird that you have to walk outside to Starbucks.

Was there for a conf at the convention center so that was an easy walk. It's a little bit of a walk to Gaslamp. Being by myself, I would have liked to be closer. But I never felt scared or threatened, even walking back after 11 one night.

Sat at the pool one afternoon. Lovely view and no one bothered me about anything. Walked down the by the water, lovely walkway.

All in all, I would stay here again. When I returned home, I told my BF that we would definitely be staying at this hotel. We'd like to come back for a long weekend w/o having work stuff to get in the way.

Thanks Hilton!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

This is big hotel but you don't feel it when you are on the edge of the bay, in the pool, or in the spa. My hubby is 6'6" and solid -- he loved the massage from Stephan and reported that Stephan reached all of his knots. My massage was also fabulous from a lovely Russian lady. Fantastic. We will stay there again happily. My only complaint is that one cannot access Starbucks from the lobby but must walk around the outside of the hotel to find the Starbucks opening. Silly.

Salt Spring Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

The Hilton bayfront in San Diego is an excellent hotel. It is located right beside the convention center (which was great for my husband who was attending a conference), 5 minutes walk to the ferry to Coronado island and close to Gaslamp which offer many good restaurants and shops. The pool is very nice and the fitness facilities are exellent. I am very sensitive to the noise and I did not hear a sound coming from the rooms next door. Overall it's a great hotel.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

My hisband and I stayed at this property for the week of the 26th Oct for 4 nights. The rooms are large and really comfortable -there is no fridge in the room - this was a concern for me as I have to take medication that needs to be kept at a certain temp. We just put the air on freezing for that.
The room overlooked the pool are which I have to admit is a huge pool with a massive outdoor tv.
we ate one night at the Fox Grill and had the most wonderful waitress Lisa, who was incredible, nice girl, great sense of humour and really intersting. She is 6 stars.
The two girls taht work on the guest services desk are complete cows, everytime we went there to enquire about a trip it was like they were too good to enterain our enquiry. They were rude, and snarly. One was a blonde the other a brunette, can;t remember their names, but if they were employed by me they would be given their walking papers.
the day of Halloween, this balck guy that was dressed up as an angel was on the desk and he was amazing, so friendly and helpful - a nice change from those two other horrible girls.
the porters and other staff are fantastic and Leah on the front desk was really nice and so helpful.
Over all the hotel is brand new, the rooms are great, the walkway that connects you to the Gaslamp quarter is not complete yet, so that will make a huge difference once that is complete you will be able to walk over the train tracks.
The hotel is very modern and the hardware used is not the greatest, our bathroom shower control was mangled, the shower curtains are about one inch in the tub so water leaks out on the floor all the time, its like they cheaped out on those minor details, no fridge, short shower curtains, lousy fixtures in teh bathroom.
Other than that I would stay there again if i got the same rate. $99.00 a night thru www.wotif.com.au

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!