“Great view and location, kids disappointed by pool” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #66 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego
“Great view and location, kids disappointed by pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We specifically went to this hotel during spring break because they had advertised their new pool remodel. We could find no pictures on the website but the description includes "THE SPLASH ZONE | Exclusively designed with your little ones in mind, our brand new children's pool is one that will excite the most discerning tyke. This kids-only water play area has an exhilarating water slide and a shallow water immersion station complete with fountains and water toys, perfect for kids of all ages". Sounded good. First, I'll say our disappointment started with something that was out of the hotel's control...the weather. It was cold and WINDY. This being right on the water, the wind really made the days unattractive to sit by the pool. However, the pool was heated and the water was warm enough to get in. And, once down there behind the glass fencing, it wasn't too bad. Second, we were disappointed by the fact the "Splash Zone" was completely roped off for a corporate event of some kind. Tents, tables, etc were set up over the area. So, we couldn't even go in to try out the area. But, I'll warn parents of kids over the age of 4, it's not the fun kid area it's made to sound. I've included one photo where you can kind of make out the "exhilarating water slide", which is very much a playground looking structure that didn't appeal to my 8 and 11 year olds. We were expecting a true resort water slide and this was not it. Lastly, though it's fun for a short time to watch the cargo ships load and unload, a full day of staring at the side of a cargo ship instead of the view of Coronado you should have, plus the noise of the said loading and unloading, wears on you. I will say that the remodel is really nice. There are a good number of seats all around the pool, water is warm and service poolside is good. There is a large club like bar area now that takes much of the pool deck and if you are into that and like lounging in couch-like club seating by the pool, there is that option for you.
Aside the from the pool disappointment, however, we did really like our stay. The room was great. We were excited to be placed on the 30th (top) floor with an amazing view of downtown. We were a nice walk to Seaport Village, Petco Park, the Children's Museum and the south end of the gaslamp. Many great places to eat and go out. Great place to be active and run or bike from. The morning breakfast buffet was good (not exciting for the price, but good). Service was great in all aspects. Housekeeping, front desk, restaurant service, etc was all excellent. No complaints there. So, if you aren't looking specifically for the resort pool for the family experience, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saranac Lake
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was here for a conference and the location was great. Easy walking to the convention center, Gaslight district and Seaport Village.

Room had a wonderful view of the bay and was comfortable. But it never causes me to think about the accomodations for two folks when there is only one comfortable chair to sit in. Come on add an additional chair.

Room Tip: Ask for the 30th floor. Never know but you might get it and it is nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Grayson, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for a business meeting. Everything was wonderful, even the food for the meeting. Located right next to the Gaslamp Qtr and Convention Center. It has its own walking bridge over Harbor Dr. It also has plenty of outdoor lounge space to enjoy the great San Diego weather.

• Stayed April 2013
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Hilton Silver member spent three nights for a conference. Check in was slow and the honors desk line was a 30 minute wait. Room not available at 12 but said they would call me. My travel companion, not a HHonors members, got a call for the same category room at 12:30. When I inquired about mine, I was told it wasn't ready. When asked if they prioritize HHonors guest they said yes but couldn't explain why the other room was ready 1st. Desk clerk talked in circles until I just gave up and walked away. 3:30 no call, so I went to ask for keys. They had to call housekeeping to see if my room was inspected. Finally checked in at 3:45. Room is nice, clean and well appointed. Hotel does not seem to have a bad view form any angle so don't pay for upgrades. This is a very large hotel and they do not seem properly equipped to handle the guest count, turnover or dining needs. Location on the other hand is awesome. Walking distance to Gaslamp and Seaport Village. Great walking/running trail lines the bay for miles. Plenty of options for eating and drinking nearby. No need for a car unless you plan to venture beyond the few square miles surrounding the hotel. Very impressed with the banquet food and presentation - one of the best we have experienced. I would stay here again with the appropriate expectations. Had the hotel and staff not felt so impersonal, it would have been 4 stars. It appears as though they are understaffed and the guests sacrifice the service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us, I am disappointed to hear that you had to wait for a room, we truly appreciate the business our Honors members bring to us and your room should have been prioritized, this issue has been addressed with both our housekeeping and front office teams. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and views from your room. I am sorry you found our team members to impersonal; I can assure you this is not the style of customer service which we expect of our team members. I am pleased to know that you were impressed by our banquet food and presentation, our culinary team work very hard to ensure our banquet offerings are unique and above the normal expected from banquet cuisine. Thank you for being a Hilton Honors member and I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Not only is this a great hotel, beautiful, clean, quiet, friendly in a great location. They actually care about their guests! My husband and I booked a room for our 22 wedding anniversary. I told the lady on the phone it was our anniversary and she said "oh I'll make a little note here that it's a special occasion". At the time I didnt think anything of it. When we checked in they upgraded us to the presidential suite because it happened to be available that night!!!! AMAZING, and THANK YOU Hilton Bay Front is all I can say!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Firstly, congratulations on your 22nd Wedding Anniversary, I am thrilled to see that our team were able to upgrade you for this very special occasion. I am also delighted to hear you found our hotel to be friendly, conveniently located and quiet. Thank you for sharing your experience with our future guests and I hope we have the chance to celebrate many more anniversaries with you in the years to come.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The view of the bay was awesome!! The service is excellent, staff were very friendly. This is a great conference host hotel for the city given its proximity to the conference center. breakfast buffet was very good in the hotel restaurant. multiple amenities on site.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am delighted to hear that you found our staff friendly and enjoyed our famous breakfast buffet. I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed the beautiful views of San Diego Bay and our close proximity to the convention center. Thank you once again for your review. I hope with have an opportunity to delight you again in the future.
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Amazing view and location, everything is within walking distance. Service does not match up to price. Food quality at all outlets does not match up to price and California expectation. I tried the lounge and room service, both were very average. We experienced some of the local restaurants and local chains, food was absolutely amazing. Average service for a four star hotel, the bell staff was always on top and greeted everyone. Beds were a little too soft.

Nice hotel, very clean and awesome location. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor city view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!