“Perfect 5 night stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Perfect 5 night stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I'm in town for a convention, but wanted to spend an extra day relaxing. This hotel was perfect! I really enjoyed three treatments at the spa-massage, facial, and pedicure. The fitness facility is too notch-great equipment and wonderful view. The eucalyptus steam room was also nice. I wish I'd brought my swim suit bc the pool and spa looked very inviting.

The service was wonderful. I arrived very early, but was immediately given a great room. Everyone I've encountered has been friendly. There is a Starbucks and yogurt shop on the lower level of the hotel. My friends and I enjoyed watching the SEC championship at the fox grille.

I ordered room service a few times and the food arrived very quickly and was delicious.

I love the location of this hotel. It's close enough to the gas lamp district, yet far enough away to enjoy quiet nights on the water.

I will definitely return when in the San Diego area again!

• Stayed November 2012
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved our Spa Aquazul. I am pleased to know that you were able to relax during your stay and that you were thoroughly impressed with all the amenities we offer our guests. I am happy to know that you found the service to be impeccable and that you loved our waterfront location. We look forward to your next visit.

2,089 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It has only been a week since our trip to San Diego over the Thanksgiving holiday and a promise I made myself was to be sure to do a review on Trip Advisor. I am not often that ambitious about doing so but this is a hotel worth trying if you are heading to San Diego. The setting is gorgeous along the San Diego Bay - upgrade to a higher floor and ask to be on the Bayfront. Our view was stunning as we overlooked the Bay, the bridge to Coronado, and the Embarcadero. The hotel staff was absolutely incredible. Who expects that your wait servers would be as sweet and caring as Carmelita who served us in the Vela restaurant twice. Such a wonderful, kind lady who actually took time to make us feel at home. Our bell men and concierge services were equally impressive - always taking time to reach out, assure we had directions, assistance and a few laughs, too. Whoever is managing this hotel has found the right formula... kudos to them for making sure that you have outgoing, friendly employees. Even the FedX shipping clerk was kind and helpful. The hotel food at Vela was delicious... specialty pastries, wonderful breakfast buffet with an omelette chef who cares about his customers and was also engaging and a great chef. We enjoyed sitting outside by the firepit area which is an added bonus on cool evenings when you just want to prolong the wonderful San Diego weather (70 degrees). I can't say enough about this hotel and would recommend it in a heart beat. Go there, walk up to Seaport Village, eat at the wonderful restaurants, tour the USS Midway, take advantage of a Segway tour (we did and that was terrific as well -Another Side of San Diego, go to the Safari Park, La Jolla - especially the hiking at Torrey Pines State Reserve, visit the Zoo, take a harbor cruise) - it will be the best vacation ever.

Room Tip: We booked our room (4 days) well in advance and our rate was amazing but you do have to pay for an u...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful review. I am ecstatic to hear how much you loved the property and that your Thanksgiving vacation was delightful and memorable. I am pleased to know that you loved your accommodations as well as the stunning views of the bay and Coronado Island. I am overjoyed to learn how impressed you were with the personal and efficient service you received throughout your stay. It is very important to all of us here at the Bayfront to ensure that all our guests are happy and well taken care of while visiting. I will be sure to individually recognize all those employees who helped make your stay so enjoyable and unforgettable. I am delighted to know that you loved the delicious food and all the amenities we offer our guests as well as our convenient location on the bay and within walking distance to many San Diego hotspots. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Diego.
Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I found it very hard to rate the hotel. I went everywhere from a 1 to 5 on it.

The hotel is very modern. The rooms were immaculate with some great views of the bay. The facilities were very modern. The fitness room and pool were fantastic so certainly on the face of it a great hotel.

My biggest problem was down to my timing.I was there for 5 nights. The nights excluding the weekend were fantastic. However over the weekend there was some form of teen conference which resulted in them taking over the hotel. There were literally hundred of teenagers in and around the hotel. It is all very well having great facilities but not much good if you can't access them because of the crowd. To give an example it took 10 minutes one evening to get from the lobby to our hotel room because of the wait for the lift. Extremely annoying especially after paying so much money for a trouble free stay. Aside from all those issues the parking was very expensive at 36 dollars for valet. Also complementary wifi only existed in the lobby. Charges applied in your room which I thought was cheeky.

In summary I can certainly why there are such good reviews but I don't think I would risk it again. And if you are going to book be sure you know what is going on in the hotel before you do so.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review and for sharing your feedback with our future guests. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the modern aesthetic of the property and that you found your accommodations clean and inviting. I am also happy to hear that you were impressed with the stunning views of the bay and Coronado Island as well as all the amenities we offer our guests. I am sincerely sorry that your stay was somewhat frustrating at times due to some of our other guests in house. I apologize that you were inconvenienced at times due the capacity of the hotel during your stay, but we are a very large hotel, accommodating up to 1190 guestrooms and any given time. I am also very sorry that the parking was more than you would have liked, but we do have self-parking available in our conveniently located parking garage for only $27/day. For future reference, we do have free wifi in Starbucks, Vela, Odysea, and Fox Sports Grill for your convenience. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I do hope you come back and visit us again on your next trip to San Diego.
Morristown, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wow we have a new favorite hotel in San Diego! We got the Corner Bay View Room and well worth the price! Views in all directions! Of course, it helped that the weather was fabulous! The staff couldn't have been more friendly. We asked for an extra desk chair since we both needed to "compute" while there and it was there within 20 minutes. Any questions we had were answered with an "of course" we can help. The restaurants we used were mainly the Fox Sports Grill and the Starbucks. Plenty of places to sit and look at the views whether it was on the terraces above the pool area or the pool. Easy access to the Trolley system so that all of San Diego was accessible. A walk along the waterfront put you in Seaport Village in a timely manner. Being at the Bayfront and right across from the Gaslamp District will allow fun to be had....the Coronado Ferry is also close by. Being an Hilton Honors member gave us some specials that helped with food purchases. Thanks for a great experience while we were there over the Thanksgiving holiday!

Room Tip: Get the Bay View Corner Room if possible! Worth some price difference if need be.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review and for your loyalty as a HHonors member. I am happy to hear that you had a memorable experience during your holiday vacation and that you were pleased with your stay. I am thrilled to learn that you loved your accommodations, especially the stunning 180* views of the bay, Coronado Island, and downtown directly from your guestroom. I am delighted to hear how friendly and courteous all the staff was during your stay and that they pleasantly met all your needs. I am happy to know that you loved the convenient location of the property situated on the bay and within walking distance of Seaport Village, the convention center, and the Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops, restaurants, and nightlife. Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your trip to San Diego and for choosing us as your favorite hotel in San Diego. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Zurich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Clean and well kept rooms, good amenities for a conference. A tad bit far from downtown and the gas lamp district. Nice view from the room towards the bay and Coronado. Friendly and efficient service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review and for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your accommodations clean and comfortable. I am pleased to know that you found all the amenities on property perfect for your conference and meeting needs. I am glad that you were impressed with the stunning views of the bay and Coronado directly from your guestroom and that you were satisfied with the courteous and efficient service you received throughout your stay. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Diego.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great location to walk along the bay; saw a Navy Cruiser casually going by million dollar yachts !
Room very nice, even though no tub in bathroom. problem arose when I had to reprint an Amtrak ticket sent to my email. Hilton business center (in -UPS store) charged me $6.95 for the privilege.
Returning to my room, I drank the 2 in-room waters, got charged , $3.25 each. Ouch!

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for corner bay front room. I did and view was of Dole Banana Boat and warehouse!
Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your candid feedback. I am happy to learn how much you loved the convenient location of the property and that you were impressed with the stellar views of the bay as well as the regal Navy Cruiser passing by. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your comfortable and spacious guestroom and that you were happy with your accommodations. I am sincerely sorry to hear that the printing fee in our on-site UPS Store was more than you were expecting and that you felt that the fee was a bit more than you would have liked. I will relay your feedback to The UPS Store manager so that he is aware of your concerns. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip to San Diego.
Destin, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Hilton had great service, the lobby was huge and VERY modern. The whole hotel is modern and on a large scale. W stayed on the 21st floor and the view was amazing! There was no breakfast or amazing features that made this hotel stand out any differently than a Holiday Inn. It had a pool and hot tub, but even in August it was a little brisk to swim. Right from our floor to ceiling window, we could see the Gaslamp Quarter, Petco Field, and San Diego Bay. The hilton is located in a very industrial area. If we had been facing the other direction, we would have been watching a Dole ship being loaded with bananas all week. The room was on the small side, but I think it was a nice stay otherwise.

Room Tip: The higher the better, make sure you are on the side facing the bay and the city.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our future guests. I am pleased to hear that you had impeccable service during your stay as it is very important to all of us here at the Hilton Bayfront that we offer all our guests the best service possible. I am glad to know that you absolutely loved the modern aesthetic of the property as well as the stunning views of the bay and downtown directly from your guestroom. Our Vela restaurant does offer a spectacular breakfast buffet, so I recommend trying it the next time you are visiting, or if you prefer something on the smaller side, you can always stop by our on-site Starbucks for a coffee and breakfast sandwich. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!