“Perfect Location for San Diego Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #69 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Memphis, Tennessee
“Perfect Location for San Diego Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great property for a relaxing weekend get-a-way. Centrally located to downtown and GasLamp areas. Trolley stop nearby. Spectacular views of city and Coronado. $27/nite self-parking. Great weekend rates!

Room Tip: Bayfront View is Spectacular! Close proximity to Gas Lamp and downtown areas. Self-Parking is $27...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay with us on your weekend getaway. I am happy to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved the property as well as the convenient location close to all the best downtown San Diego has to offer. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference planning meeting. I have never been to San Diego before so I was not familiar with the area. The service/staff at the hotel are top notch. Everyone I encountered was so helpful and the valet team was exceptional with directions, letting my park for an hour outside the front entrance instead of having to put my car in the garage (even though it took them about 2 minutes to retrieve the car when I needed it) and even put a bottle of water in the car everytime they brought it out for me!!

The hotel is beautiful and the gym is fantastic...no charge to use it either. Rooms are comfortable and I had a great view of the bay. The only bad thing I can think of was that because the hotel was pretty full, it took a while for the elevators which was a small inconvenience.

For people who like to walk or run, there is a great path along the harbor which takes about 25 minutes to walk to the USS Midway and some cute little restaurants...and the Gas Lamp district is just a short walk from the hotel as well.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the bay. You can watch the Navy ships go in and out. Pretty cool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent 5 star review and for choosing to stay with us on your first trip to San Diego. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found all of the staff extremely helpful and accommodating throughout your visit. I am pleased to know that you appreciated all the amenities we offer our guests and that you appreciated our convenient location right on the bay and within walking distance to a variety of shops, restaurants, and tourist attractions in the downtown area. Thank you for taking the time to share your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
So Cal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Very clean. Nice staff. Great location. Awesome pool. Only downer is the price of the room and price of parking. Parking was $27 a night! Other than that I loved it. Walking distance to the gas lamp district.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent review and for choosing to stay with us. I am ecstatic to learn how much you loved your stay and that you found the hotel clean and inviting. I am delighted to know that all of the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating throughout your visit and that you loved our bay side pool. I apologize that the parking fees were higher than you would have liked but our covered parking garage offers our guests safety and convenience at a price comparable to other hotels and parking facilities in the downtown area. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Bayfront in San Diego for a recent convention. The hotel has a beautiful look and great location, but the restaurant situation was sub-standard. The Vela on the lower "promenade" level would close unannounced, had a limited menu and was very expensive.
The Odysea on the lobby level had terrible service and seemed to be more of a bar than a restaurant. The Sports Bar was ok, but not located inside of the hotel, so guests have to walk around the side of the property to gain access. There are plenty of restaurants in the Gaslamp district, but it can be a very far walk. The streets along the way are filled with homeless people, making it a rather unpleasant walk. Better to stick with a taxi. Not a good hotel for someone traveling alone.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid feedback and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to know that you loved the hotel and that you appreciated the convenient location of the hotel situated on the bay and within walking distance of the convention center, Petco Park, and the downtown Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops and restaurants. I am sincerely sorry to hear that you were displeased with our dining options on property. I am so embarrassed that you received poor service while dining as that is completely unacceptable. We strive to ensure that all of our guests receive the friendliest and most efficient service while on property. I will be sure to relay all your feedback to our Director of Food & Beverage so that these issues can be addressed with the staff. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I hope you return for a visit again soon.
Chiba, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Really an excellent hotel spoiled by less than 5-star rooms. Great staff, great views, great facilities but the rooms left a lot to be desired. Only basic in-room amenity packs, broken coffee pot, noise from corridors, neighboring rooms and outside, Internet problems, uncomfortable beds. Requested early check-in and was prepared to pay as I was flying in from Japan. Was left to wait in the foyer until after 3pm when I finally pleaded my case again.
However, staff were very attentive and courteous. Overall a pleasant experience but definitely overpriced.

Room Tip: Higher floors available for surcharge. Much better view on the north side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to know that you loved the hotel and that you were impressed with the hotel’s aesthetic. I am pleased to know that you were thoroughly awed with the beautiful views of the bay and downtown. I am delighted to know that you found all the staff very attentive and accommodating during your visit and that you appreciated all the amenities we offer our guests. I sincerely apologize that your guestroom was not what you were expecting and that you would have preferred different accommodations. In the future, please let us know and we will do everything we can to address your concerns and make your stay as comfortable as possible. I am sorry that you had to wait longer than you would have liked to check-in to your room, but we do our best to ensure that all our guest’s rooms are ready upon arrival. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you come back for a visit again soon.
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

That is about as far as it goes.
The good points:
This is a newer property, I think someone said 4 years old. It is stunning from the moment you arrive. The 11th tallest building in San Diego and located right on the waterfront. Easy walking access to everything. The rooms are typical Hilton. We stayed in a "Pure" room and I am still not sure why they charge extra for it. The pool is big.
The bad points:
No executive level and no executive lever lounge (important for us Hhonors Diamonds)
The staff is very inattentive and presents an air of "we really don't care about our guests". We had made two separate reservations for the two nights we were there. The person checking us in said he had checked us in for both nights upon our initial arrival. He neglected to tell us that we needed to go back down to the front desk the next day and get our keys activated for the second night. Hence, come 3:00 pm the next day, as we stood outside our room upon our return from a long day of sightseeing, and my son needed to use the bathroom, our key did not work. To make matters worse, it took them 20 minutes to send up security to let us in, (sans new keys), then another 40 minutes to get new keys.
There are conventioneers EVERYWHERE at this hotel! The drinks are way overpriced. I think we paid $13 for one glass of white wine. The entertainment system in the hotel works when it wants to. My kids and I were halfway through a movie one night when it just quit working.
I am not sure I would stay here again. I do like the location. I think knowing what I know now about this particular property, I would see what there convention attendance is and if it was low, I would just lower my expectations and stay again.
If you are a Hilton Hhonors Member, don't expect much here. You are just another guest among hundreds.

Room Tip: The higher the better. We had room 2429...great view of the waterfront and downtown. Do not let them...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the hotel and loved the beautiful views of the bay and downtown. For your reference, our PURE guestrooms are treated with the latest technologies available to enhance your guest experience. In-room filtration systems remove air particles, while surfaces are treated to minimize the growth of bacteria. These hypoallergenic hotel accommodations are nearly 99.9% allergen-free and significantly reduce the impact of potential irritants to you which allows you to rest comfortably, sleep better and awake refreshed so you can enjoy your stay. I sincerely apologize that you felt that the staff were inattentive as this is never our intention. We want all of our guests to feel comfortable and welcome throughout their stay. I apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay and that there was a lack of communication regarding your room key. I am sorry that you would have preferred less convention attendees but since we are directly adjacent to the San Diego Convention Center, we are a perfect hotel to accommodate convention goers. I am sorry that you did not feel special during your stay as that is never our intention. We appreciate your business and your loyalty as a HHonors member. Thank you for providing your feedback and I hope you will visit us again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here on business for a convention. The hotel is very nice, chic, the bar/restaurant is awesome, and breakfast is really cool with a chef cooking omelettes for guests on the fly while you wait.

The room was very spacious and while some views from the hotel are not the best, I had the shipyard of the Dole tractor trailers being loaded onto their giant ship, other views of the bay are nice.

The pool is quite nice, but really just a large lap and wading pool.

All of the catered food by the hotel were absolutely fantastic, and the staff are young and hip.

I took a taxi a couple of locations, but the Gaslamp District is within walking distance so again, a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Bay without the Dole ship in view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay with us during your visit to San Diego. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the hotel and that you loved the convenient location of the property within walking distance of the downtown Gaslamp Quarter with a variety of shops and restaurants. I am delighted to learn that you loved the delicious breakfast buffet offered at our Vela Restaurant and that you were impressed with your spacious and comfortable guestroom. I am glad that you found all the staff very pleasant and accommodating during your stay and that you loved your visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!