“Great Stay in San Diego” 5 of 5 stars

Rates starting from $159
Ranked #72 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Great Stay in San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

A really nice hotel, nice location next to the convention center, ballpark and a short walk to the Gaslamp area.
Comfortable room, nicely furnished and new.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your recent 5 star review. I am so pleased to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved your spacious and comfortable guestroom with amazing views of the bay and downtown. I am happy to hear that you appreciated our convenient location within walking distance to Petco Park and the downtown Gaslamp quarter. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Family of 5 with 3 children, stayed for one night on Saturday 6/16/12 and used Hilton Honor Points for 1/2 of the room charge. The location is excellent especially if you have plans for to visit the home of the Padres (Petco Park) is literally across the street.

What did we enjoy?: Loved the firepit overlooking the bay, swimming pool had a wonderful view of the bay, several childrens' events throughout the evening, 10 minute walk to Seaport Village, the Concierge office was very helpful and friendly and our room was a corner room overlooking the bay and boardwalk area, very nice!

What we did not like: I am a Hilton Honors member and had reservationts, it took over 30 minutes to get us checked in at the front desk! Questions regarding upgrades, Hilton Points usage, etc, the registration attendant had to go ask the manager several times for answers and at one point neither could get into the reservation system to provide us the upgrade that I had requested so a 2nd manager was then required. It took 3 different people to get us registered for the evening. The front desk was all friendly, just puzzled why it would take 3 different people over 30 minutes to get us in the system for a requested upgrade that was in our notes prior to arrival.

Overall, if you are looking for location and good service, you would probably be happy here - the prices here however were very comparable to The del on Coronado, so shop around first.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Red Lion, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Service was poor from the first moment on property. When checking in, I was offered to "upgrade" room for a city/harbor view; for additional $10/nite. I declined and my room had a city/harbor view! I had to ask for clean towels; Wi-Fi wasn't included in the "conference rate". If going to a conference; stay at the Marriott!

, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
I sincerely apologize that your visit was not what you were expecting. I am so embarrassed that the service was not what you were hoping for and that it was not to your standards. I want to assure you that wonderful customer service is of the utmost importance to us and we want all of our guests to feel welcome and comfortable during their entire stay. I am sorry the wi-fi was not included in your conference rate but for future reference we do have free wi-fi available in in Starbucks, Sweet things, Vela, Fox Sports Grill, and we have iPads in Odysea Lounge for our guests to use. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and I will relay all of your concerns to our Director of Hotel Operations.
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel itself is very clean and spacious. Rooms are typical of the Hilton chain. There was a problem upon checking in as the HHonors desk was empty. The regular check in line was obnoxiously long. The spa steam room and relaxation area is complimentary to HHonors Gold and above members. The fitness center is adequate for a hotel chain.
The beds are very soft and not comfortable. The shower head isn't on par for a Hilton but it suffices.
Twice I used the hotel's online guest portal services and twice my in room dining failed to arrive. After waiting 30 minutes, I called and they informed me my order was never received. Then about 35 minutes later I received a turkey panini. Two things: one...this was not my order, and two, it was not even the correct room. Speaking of room service, trays of food sat in the hall ways of the hotel for longer than 24 hours. Totally gross. I also used the online guest portal to order additional toilet paper and again, the toilet paper was never delivered.
The hotel is nice, the food is typical of a Hilton but the customer service portal www.hiltonbayfrontservices.com simply does not work.
Overall, due to the overly soft beds and non-functioning online guest portal and sporadic cell phone service (this is of no fault of the Hilton) I cannot recommend this hotel.

Cincinnati,OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The Hilton San Diego Bayfront brings new life to San Diego. I specifically chose this hotel because I noticed the manager responds to reviews and that point is well-taken because most large chains do not respond or even acknowledge.
The hotel itself is well-appointed, immaculately clean, provides a choice of eateries, and is well within walking distance from the Gaslamp, Petco, and the trolley station.
One day prior to my arrival, I faxed the hotel regarding my Hilton HHonors Gold upgrade and made a request to be placed in a room ending in certain numbers. My requests were clear, however, I knew the hotel would be full during my stay because of simultaneous conferences occurring in San Diego during my stay. I did not expect to be upgraded but it does not hurt to make the request prior to arrival. Upon checking in online, I noticed that not only was I not upgraded, that I was assigned a room completely contrary to my faxed request.
After arriving to the hotel I proceeded to the designated HHonors check in line and stood in line for approximately 10 minutes without even being acknowledged. The HHonors desk was unstaffed. Another guest informed me that he finally left the HHonors line and stood in the regular check in line because nobody acknowledged him. My reservation included parking, breakfast, and internet. As a HHonors Gold member, I received a coupon for Starbucks which was welcomed as I am a fan of Starbucks. I did not receive my breakfast vouchers and had to contact guest services to receive my complimentary breakfast vouchers.
Room 1003 overlooks the San Diego Bay, is completely quiet with the exception of the heavy hotel guest room doors slamming (typical of hotels) throughout the day. The room itself presented a comfortable environment with your normal hotel accommodations. The desk has an ingenious built-in roller table that slides from underneath. Brilliant!
The beds leave a lot to be desired. Typical Hilton beds: very soft, non-supporitve, and the mattress needs flipped or better yet, replaced. It does not matter the rating of any hotel if the beds are not of high end quality. Soft beds are very typical of the Hilton chain and has become increasingly annoying that Hilton continues to choose a lower quality mattress. There is a large flat screen TV but most of the channels are standard definition. There is no refrigerator in the room. The in-room safe does not accommodate a 15 inch laptop computer.
The bathroom is nicely appointed with plenty of towels, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, a hair dryer and was immaculately clean. The entire hotel property was simply immaculate.
Other reviews commented that it is noisy and I did not hear a single sound while inside my room. I also visited another room facing the city and again, no sounds from the traffic, trolleys, airplanes could be heard.
Housekeeping is phenomenal. Simply put...the hotel is immaculately clean.
I dined at Vela. Very good food, well-proportioned and again, immaculately clean. Travis was a phenomenal bar tender and Suzette should be recognized for her willingness to assist Travis when out of the blue 20 people showed up for drinks. Here is the bad... both Travis and Suzette were working late and when I went down for breakfast, they were both already at work again. I do not understand why employers only expect their employees to rest for a brief amount of time before scheduling them so early again. Very disappointed to see them back at work knowing they left very late the night before.
The exercise room includes up-to-date Precor equipment and is clean. The swimming pool area is excellent and is very clean.
I would recommend this hotel even though I prefer the bedding of other major hotel chains.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 01, 02, 03, 04 provide direct views of the San Diego Bay and Coronado.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you very much for your thorough review. We definitely appreciate our guests sharing their experiences and letting us know what they love and what we can improve upon. I am delighted to know that you found the entire hotel clean, comfortable, and inviting. I am pleased to learn that you found your guestroom quiet and relaxing and that you loved the desk with the built-in roller table. I am ecstatic to know that both Suzette and Travis were so wonderful during your visit and that they both displayed amazing customer service and team work. I will be sure to recognize both of them for a job well done! I will relay your feedback to our restaurant manager to let him know your concerns regarding employees working back-to-back shifts. I sincerely apologize that upon check-in you had to wait much longer than you would have preferred and that your initial request was not fulfilled. I will let our Director of Front Office Operations know your concerns to try and alleviate this from happening again. I am ecstatic to know how much you appreciated the convenient location of the property close to downtown with a variety of shops and restaurants. Thank you for your loyalty as a Hilton Honors member and for your wonderful recommendation to our future guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is a very good hotel. It's pretty new, and the entire hotel is in good shape.

Rooms are good sized, decent bed, and bathroom. It is a big hotel and it feels it, which can be a good, or a bad thing.

Breakfast is on the better side for a US Hilton, including fresh omelets and eggs. Was expensive for $27 though.

The location is simply awesome, very close to the Gaslamp district in San Diego, close to the petco stadium, the airport and so on.

I would stay at this hotel again!

Only downside, on a Saturday am checkout, there were only two people at the desk, one only with the honors customers, so it took to long to get serviced.

Room Tip: try and get a room overlooking the water, it's fascinating to see what's going on...
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the property and that you loved the entire hotel, especially the stunning views. I am delighted to learn that you loved your spacious and modern guestroom and that you would love to stay with us again. We hope to see you soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Not only are the views lovely but the location is perfect. The restaurants of the Gas Lamp Discount are conveniently across the street and it's easy to walk around the bay to the Maritime Museum. This is a large Hilton and if you are looking for a small boutique hotel, this is not the place for you but it is a very nice hotel. There is a nice pool and a spa (we didn't use the spa). Our room was on a high floor, the bed was very comfortable and I loved the chaise in front of the window! As honors Gold members we received discount coupons for the breakfast buffet and we dined there one morning. The selections were good and the service excellent. The 50% discount made it worth the money but without the discount, I think it makes more sense to go into the Gas Lamp District for breakfast. The Dole ship was unloading and I agree with others, it was fun to watch the process.

Room Tip: The higher rooms have the best views and a corner room has the best view of the bay/city.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for your outstanding review. I am so happy to learn how much you loved the hotel and our convenient location right on the bay and within close walking distance to Petco Park and the downtown Gaslamp Quarter. I am glad to know how much you enjoyed your guestroom with beautiful views of the bay and downtown. I want to thank you for your loyalty as a Hilton Honors member and let you know that we appreciate your business. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed watching the iconic Dole Ship unload and that you were very impressed with the property. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!