“Love the view, but nothing is for free” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Ranked #64 of 268 hotels in San Diego
Stockholm, Sweden
“Love the view, but nothing is for free”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I stayed at Hilton in march 2010 for a week with my husband a my 2 year old child. I was in a conference-vacation trip so the hotel location was just perfect for me. I uppgradated my room and we got a really nice view.
Pros: relly nice for my daughter, next to a park for a wal, warm pool, and so close to the conderence center.
Negative: They charge you for everything extra. Internet, parking.
There are nice restautants quite close to the hotel but if you have enough money then you should try the restaurant, nice service and good food.
I must say that I did not pay for the hotell, It was payd by my jobb. But I think I would pay by miself If I had to come back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you found the location of the hotel to be so conveniently situated next to the convention center, which was perfect for you during your visit. I am glad to hear you were able to upgrade and enjoy a fantastic view of the bay right from your guestroom and that both you and your daughter loved our heated, salt water pool located right on the bay. I apologize that you were not happy about some of the amenity fees while on property. Our parking fees include covered and secure parking located directly next to the hotel and the sky bridge and are comparable to other hotels and parking structures throughout downtown. There is a convenience fee to have internet in your guestroom, however, if you would prefer, we do have free internet in the following on-property areas: Vela Restaurant, Fox Sports Grill, Sweet Things, Starbucks, and our Odysea Lounge which has iPads for guests to use. I am delighted to know that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you would love to visit us again. We hope to see you soon!

2,118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I had a corner "Room with a View". My last morning there a seal was sun bathing on his back, floating by the side of the hotel right below my room.

Hotel services were incredible. I did valet park, but there is a parking ramp literally attached to the hotel... I'd choose that option if I stay there again.

I did eat at the sports bar there, the service was VERY SLOW! I was asked to move from the 4 person table I was at to a different 4 person table in the corner so a "party of 6" people could sit there after I had already waited 15 minutes before they came. They took their order before mine, served them before even taking my order. I would not eat there again and the food was subpar at best.

Back to the hotel. Very peaceful and quiet rooms. It is also directly across the street from the convention center and the Gas Lamp Quarters.

I really enjoyed my stay there!

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view. It's a $50 upcharge per day.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent 5 star review and choosing to stay with us during your visit to San Diego. I am so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you found your guestroom to be so peaceful and comfortable. That is so exciting that from your guestroom you got to see one of our aquatic family members just hanging out and sunbathing…what a treat! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed how convenient our location is, situated right next to the convention center and just a quick walk across the sky bridge to the downtown Gaslamp District. I apologize that your service at our sports bar was not as quick and seamless as you would have liked. I will be sure to relay your feedback to the management so they can advise their staff. I am happy to hear that overall you loved your stay. I hope you come visit us again on your next trip to San Diego!
Landstuhl, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

As always, Hilton does a good job with clean spacious rooms and this was no exception. The rooms are quiet and have lots of amenities one expects with a room that goes for over $200/night. We were there for a convention; however, we are military and thus could not book at the convention rate which included the free internet. So, we paid the government rate (which would be reimbursed); however, they did not want to give us the internet which was included for all other convention goers because our room was less then theirs. Well, the REASON the military gets a lower rate is because it pays the bills with TAX PAYER dollars, it also means that those SERVING in the military don't make as much as their counterparts making it more difficult to afford $15/day internet fees. Had to go all the way to the manager of the hotel to finally get the internet charge removed. Maybe that is ridiculous to everyone else, but it was a stretch for our budget since the military budget has been cut and so have pay raises, and very limited reimbursement. No more cabs allowed only shuttles, no internet reimbursed, meals are on a per diem basis not a check, so even eating breakfast at the hotel was more than the days per diem. This is not a hotel that supports the troops.

Room Tip: be a member of Hilton Honors with lots of points, they drool trying to accommodate you - be a regula...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review. I appreciate all of our guest’s feedback and value all the input we receive. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your room and that you found it to be clean and spacious. I sincerely apologize that you feel that we do not support the troops. All of us here at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront greatly appreciate and respect everything our troops do and the last thing we want is any of our troops to feel as if we do not support them or what they do. I apologize that you had to find a manager to get your internet charges removed, as that was never our intention that you have to track a manager down to remove a charge. I am sorry that you felt we were not accommodating to your needs, but I do want you to know that we do support our troops and everything you all do. Please let me know the next time you visit the hotel and I will do everything I can to ensure you have a fantastic experience. My direct email is katie.ellison@hilton.com. Thank you again for your feedback and thank you for your service.
Milford, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Maybe just a little above average. Good view of the Bay. Get a corner King. The website does not advertise a spa, but there is a very nice spa on location.

Room Tip: Corner King
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you for your recent visit and review on Trip Advisor. I appreciate your feedback and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful view of the bay from your guestroom. I do apologize that you were not aware of our fantastic spa, Spa Aquazul, located on property. There is information about our spa on our website at the top right-hand side of the page, which can give you all the information about the amazing amenities the spa has to offer. I hope you come to visit us again on your next trip to San Diego and take advantage of some of the marvelous packages that Spa Aquzul has available.
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012 via mobile

Wow wow wow!!!! Best location for meeting near of thé convention center , near of the 5th street

• Stayed February 2012
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
WOW!! Thank you for your amazing response to our hotel…I am so happy that it knocked your socks off! I am glad to learn that you loved the location of our property, right next to the convention center and just a short walk to the downtown Gaslamp district and Petco Park. I hope you will visit us again on your next visit to San Diego!
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We just spent a long weekend in San Diego and had a great stay at the Hilton Bayfront. This was our first stay and we loved the hotel. It was very busy but the staff was always nice and friendly. They have a great spa and nice fitness center. The pool looked awesome so in warmer weather that would be great as well. As a Diamond Hilton Honors member we received free breakfast at Starbucks each morning as a perk. The location and view are great and I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a city/bay view that was very nice
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent 5 star review on Trip Advisor. I am ecstatic to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you loved the hotel! I am so delighted to hear that the staff was friendly and accommodating throughout your stay and that you were impressed by our Aquazul Spa and the fantastic fitness center. I am glad to know that you appreciated your complimentary breakfast at Starbucks and that you found the location of the hotel to be so conveniently located to the downtown Gaslamp district, Petco Park, and the convention center. Thank you so much for your stunning recommendation to our future guests. I do hope you visit us again this summer to take a dip in our fantastic bayside pool.
Windsor, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed here while helping with a conference at this location. The hotel itself is an architectural masterpiece with lots of art displayed and well designed overall. I had a room on the 20th floor facing north with an incredible view of the city and the bay. I would request to be on the north side of the building. The other side probably isn't bad, but its of shipping piers and truck parking. Its a short walk down the bay walk to Seaport Village and a short walk to the 5th Avenue Gaslamp district. Its also close to Petco field and next door to the convention center. There's a nice sports bar in the lower level, Fox Sports Grill and a Starbucks. Overall a great hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Request a room higher up on the north side of the building. The views are incredible.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your fantastic Trip Advisor review. I am pleased to hear how much you loved the view of the city and the bay from your guestroom and that you found your accommodations to exceed your expectations. I love how much you appreciated the modern aesthetic the hotel portrays and that you loved all the artwork shown throughout the property. I am delighted to hear that you took advantage of the conveniently located sky bridge to get to the downtown Gaslamp District, taking you directly from our front door to downtown. I am also happy to hear you visited our fabulous sports bar, Fox Sports Grill, located on property with an excellent view of the bay perfect for watching any sporting event. Thank you for your great feedback and recommendations for our future guests. I hope you visit us on your next visit to San Diego!

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!