“my favorite hotel in SD” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #69 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“my favorite hotel in SD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

This hotel is relatively new, so everything is pristine. Right when you walk into the lobby everything is beautiful and clean. The rooms are nicely decorated and tasteful. The view (if you are on the water side) is amazing and its the perfect view of the Coronado bridge!

Just a quick jaunt over to the Gaslamp District or the ballpark (although a bit cold for a winter evening, but would be awesome during a warmer month).

The swimming pool looked amazing too, right on the bay (again it was winter, so I didn't get to test it out myself, but I would imagine its a wonderful sunbathing location in the summer!)

Room Tip: ask for waterfront view
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bellingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

So there's a fitness club and pool and a hot tub but no place other than your room to shower and change in between unless you want to travel 26 flights back up to your tiny overpriced room, where the two bottles of water cost $4.25 each and are warm because there's no fridge. They do allow you to shower in their "spa," but that costs you $10, on top of the $260 you're spending for the room. At least showering before entering the hot tub and pool aren't required, as there's no place to do it for what they call the "general public," which is how they refer to us who only pay top dollar for their services but who aren't "Gold Club Members." Probably makes for suboptimal hygiene but makes top dollar for Hilton, a company I will forever very happily boycott.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront with a colleague while attending a conference at the San Diego Convention Center. The hotel is conveniently located right next door. Check-in was a breeze. Our room was roomy and extremely clean. The bathroom had awesome deep drawers in the vanity, which made it much easier to unpack. The pedestrian bridge over Harbor Blvd is open, pretty and a great asset. We used it several times to cross the street to get to the Gaslamp. if you want to see a Padres game, you are right across the street from the stadium too.

The women we worked with at the concierge desk were extremely helpful. They made us 2 dinner reservations for exactly the time and place we wanted. They provided me with a handy jogging map. I personally watched them work with multiple guests at one time and it appeared that they were keen on satisfying all reasonable requests.

We originally planned to check out the morning of our departure, but our flight was a redeye that was not leaving until 10:30pm. We contacted the front desk about extending our stay, and they made it possible for us to keep our room until 8:30 that evening. Although we had to pay for an extra night (because we were staying past 5:30), it was nice that they were able to accommodate our request at the last minute -- it took all of 5 minutes.

One note for business travelers -- the UPS Store runs the hotel's business center. You will be charged an extra fee to send or receive any packages at the hotel in addition to your regular shipping charges. This can get pricey depending on your needs, so be careful.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to any business or leisure travelers who want a modern, upscale, conveniently located hotel near the Gaslamp/Convention Center.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

We just returned from a long weekend at the Hilton. I was traveling with a group of High school girls who were attending a convention. The Hotel is beautiful and convenient to the Convention center. I called the front desk to arrange all our rooms on the same floor. They were very helpful and are rooms were ready early which was nice since we arrived around 1 pm.

Best things-- pool is really nice. Our group enjoyed the water flavored with fruit. It is easy to walk to Seaport Village. There is a huge green space between the hotel and convention center that can be used for recreation. Nice path on the Bayfront to walk/run. We took the water taxi to Coronado which was more expensive than ferry but we did because we wanted more flexibility. Water taxi is really close to hotel.

I hate paying for internet. So I didn't . But I was in Starbucks a couple times a day for coffee and they have free wifi. Fox Sports Grill next to starbucks also has free wifi. We had dinner there one night and the food and service were great. (My wine was cheaper here than the Hotel bar)
Last note. Thanks to Karin at the concierge desk. She was very helpful during our trip!

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Newark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

The Hilton San Diego Bayfront is an extremely nice hotel with great views of the city and bay. The service is first class with everyone making sure your stay is comfortable and needs are met. Check in was pleasant as was resteraunt and bar service. The hotel is very clean and rooms are adequate. Great location, across from Petco and short walk to the Gaslamp. The only downside is the Port of San Diego on the south side of the hotel but we had a room on the north side so was our view was perfect! Would highly recommend this Hilton property, as always Hilton is out to satisfy thier customers.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Fontana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I went to San Diego this past weekend with my family and friends to celebrate my birthday. We booked three rooms together and were traveling with three toddlers in total. This was our first stay at the Hilton Bayfront. Normally, we stay at the Omni next door to Petco Park. I thought it might be fun to try someplace new. I'm so glad we did!

The hotel has an amazing location to start. It is the last property located next door to the convention center. Thanks to the bridge that connects it back to Petco Park, you have immediate access to everything. In comparison to the other hotels in San Diego, it is not too pricey for what they are offer. Overnight parking is actually cheaper than a few other hotels in the same vicinity.

Since the property is only two years old, the rooms are very nice, clean and comfy. When traveling with little ones, that's important. We enjoyed the Starbucks on the first floor and ate at the hotel bar as well. The pool is great and we spent time there also. From the hotel, you can even make the walk up to Seaport Village. It's relaxing as a walk on Sunday morning. Because of the marina, the children love it as they can see all of the boats.

The service we received at the front desk was exceptional. Thank you to James and Robert. Other than that, the service at the rest of the property was good, but not memorable. When I say 'not memorable', I mean I didn't go out of my way to remember their names to say thank you. I think that's pretty much on par with everywhere else. Since the property is larger than that of places like the Omni, you don't necessarily see the same faces over and over again. That's not their fault, so you can't criticize them for that.

All in all, I would definitely stay at the Hilton Bayfront again. In fact, I already have reservations to stay there again twice in the next six weeks. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
sancc, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
First of all, Happy Birthday! Thank you so much for giving Hilton Bayfront a try. We are thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time, and enjoyed our Starbuck's, bar, and pool. I hope you tasted one (or two) of our specialty cocktails in Odysea bar, they are to die for!

I'll make sure to pass along your thanks to James and Robert at the front desk. You mentioned you are staying with us again soon and we are honored to welcome you back. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more memorable, please let us know.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

For purposes of convenience of its location being adjacent to the convention center, I give it an A rating. It's clean and the towels are plush, but in this day and age, why charge $15 a day for Internet? I don't get it at all. there's no ref in the room. Altogether, stay was fine but I don't think I will be going back. There are other nicer hotels in the area which offer more convenience without extra charges. Parking is even steep!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hilton San Diego Bayfront? Share your experiences!