“A disgrace to the Holiday Inn brand” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Harrison
Dallas, Texas
“A disgrace to the Holiday Inn brand”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

All staff members I encountered, except for the young lady with very long dark hair, have no business being in the hospitality field. The hallways and rooms smell musty with a base note of rotting organic matter.
Due to medical necessity I travel with a prescription drug that requires refrigeration. I frequently patronize IHG properties and have come to expect at least a small fridge in my room. Upon entering my assigned room I found there was none. I returned to the front desk to request from the young man at the desk, after outlying my special need, either a fridge or a room change and was told that was currently impossible. I asked for an estimate on availability since I was booked for an almost 2 week stay. Much to my annoyance I was told no estimate could be provided.
I asked about alternatives, he stated I could use the ice machine.
After using ice for the first night to preserve my medication I realized I would compromise its stability too much as all if the ice melted leaving a tepid water bath. I returned to the front desk that morning and explained my situation to another front desk person who told me I could label and place my medication in the fridge in the breakfast prep room.
The next morning as I went to retrieve my medicine a hotel employee tried to bar me from entering the room. I explained the situation to her and pointed to where my medication was stored. She was very bothered by my presence and very dismissive after that encounter.
Days letter as I checked out I noticed a new printed sign posted on the door of the room where I kept my medicine stating "employees only". Coincidence? I think not.

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrison, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear business t,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We certainly work very hard to ensure our guests receive the very best service we can provide each and every day. Please accept our apologies that on this occasion we fell short of your expectations. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Jonesboro, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Convenient hotel just off the main highway and close to everything in town. The beds and room were comfortable. However, the drain in our tub would not close and our small children ended up having to shower.
Very good breakfast available. And the pool was really nice for our kids to relax in before bed.

Stayed November 2013
Ardmore, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Hotel needs a lot of maintenance and repairs. Computer in lobby is worthless - constant error messages - management refuses to upgrade programs which appear not have been done since 2008. Serious leak in breakfast room. Swimming pool is green - may look cleaner if pool light were turned on which it is not. Safe deposit security is lax. Unable to access upon check-out. Curtains in rooms are thread bare. Staff are all nice and helpful but all appear to be afraid of owner who is cheap and unresponsive to staff and guest needs. Needs a lot of R&M. Loathe to recommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here for the most part. The front desk was very friendly and helpful, my room was comfortable, clean, and tasteful. Even the pool looked inviting enough that I wished I'd had my bathing suit with me.

There were only two drawbacks - one was that the internet connection was a full-on disaster. I got kicked out over and over and over and when it did work for short periods of time it was very slow. And I have stayed in other HIE's that have micro and fridge - this one did not. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have those amenities if they wanted to though.

But I slept well and that's the most important thing to me - so I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

The hotel was clean and well kept. We found the people that worked there to be friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fine - pretty much like all Holiday Inn Express breakfasts, and the dining area was well tended to.

However, when we checked in to our room, there was no hot water. The young woman at the front desk apologized and gave us a new room. Initially there was no hot water there either, but after a short while it was OK.

There is good Wi-Fi coverage in the hotel and LAN in every room, but the speed was awful. I'm not exaggerating when I say that dial-up speeds are faster than what I was getting. And it seemed to degrade as time went on, to the point where it quit altogether on our second day at the hotel. The young woman at the front desk again apologized, and had the system restarted. I had hoped that it would be more usable after the restart, but it did not improve. I ended up using my phone for accessing the internet. I expect better internet access from a chain like Holiday Inn, and can only hope that this is not the hotel's usual internet offering.

When I went to the pool area to use the hot tub, I could not find the timer control so I just sat in hot water for a while. When I got out, I walked around the pool area and finally found the timer all the way across the room - literally 50 feet away from the hot tub. I don't know why someone would design it like that, but it is what it is I guess. Maybe I was just stupid for not looking across the room for the timer, but maybe they could have a sign near the hot tub that tells you where to find the timer.

These issues did not ruin our stay by any means, although the internet access was rather frustrating. Like I said, the hotel was clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room across from the ice machine.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Harrison, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear MoleCG,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. It is great to hear you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the internet connection. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bryan, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We got in late on a Saturday night and were so glad that we found this place. Our room was very convenient to the elevator which was a plus since my dad uses a cane to walk. Our room was extremely quiet and the beds were wonderful. The hot breakfast buffet was very good and the pancake machine was a novelty- I have never seen one of these before!!! There was a lot of variety in the breakfast selection. There were enough parking spots within easy walking distance- will try to time it to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Spent three nights good service nice indoor pool, hut tub was a hot tub with two garden hose force jets and no bubbles, oh well dry sauna made up for it. Good variety for breakfast buffet. I had never seen a 'pancake machine'

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Inn Express Harrison? Share your experiences!