“Best in Topeka so far” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best in Topeka so far”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My husband and I have been traveling to Topeka to visit family regularly for about 13 years. We have stayed at the Hyatt Place, Amerisuites (when it was still open), the Country Inn and Suites and now the Clubhouse Inn.

Clubhouse is the best we have found so far. In Topeka, "luxury hotel" is a bit of an oxymoron because Topeka just doesn't draw that kind of market. So Clubhouse isn't illustrious or particularly fancy, but it WAS very comfortable - more than we needed it to be even - and very accommodating. We booked two rooms, one of which was a two-room suite and the other was a smaller room with two queen beds.

The pros:
- Front desk staff was friendly, helpful and prompt (even when I asked for things outside of the norm, which I did twice with two different members of staff)

- All members of the help greeted us with a smile and some form of greeting

- All staff were clean cut in appearance

- Our two-room suite was BIG - MUCH bigger than expected

- Water in the shower was incredibly soft (maybe it felt that way to me because Phoenix has such hard water though)

- Bedsheets were crisp and clean and there were more pillows than we knew what to do with (we actually donated about 5 of them to our nanny staying down the hall with our two toddlers and she used them to prevent kiddos from falling off the beds at night - LOL)

- Hallways were quiet and sufficiently cooled; most Kansas hotels' hallways are very hot and muggy in our experience

- The manager's reception offers a free alcoholic beverage and our nanny attended Friday night. She reported that the bartender was incredibly friendly and funny.

- The two-room suite had a temperature control in each room; one for the sofa bed area, and one for the master bed area, which was very nice because our 8-year-old likes it a bit warmer than my husband and myself.

- The room was very, very quiet (actually too quiet for us, and we called down around midnight to ask the front desk if we could borrow a fan for some white noise. 5 minutes later, there was a very quiet knock on our door and a staff's fan was brought in for us - it was perfect!! What service!!)

Cons:
- The room had a slightly musty smell each time we entered, but it dissipated in literally 5 seconds and never bothered me while we were there. My husband couldn't smell it at all.

- Our two-room suite had a section of carpet from the study desk to the bathroom dressing area that was sticky. I don't know how else to describe it - it was just sticky. Not like apple-juice-on-the-tile sticky, not that bad, but almost like soda had soaked into the carpet over time or something. I put a large towel down over it and ignored it for the two nights we were there. It wasn't a big problem.

- This isn't really a complaint that is specific to this hotel, but I still want to mention that the breakfasts are always too early for out of town guests. I don't recall the exact time they stopped serving, but the 2-hour difference (Phoenix versus Topeka) always makes it impossible for us to enjoy that feature without waking up earlier than we want to while on vacation. I really wish something could be worked out for those of us traveling from the West Coast.

We will definitely return to Clubhouse the next time we stay in Topeka. I believe it is the very best hotel in the entire city and it's a step up from what Topeka has had to offer in years past. We slept well here and I personally rested better at Clubhouse than I do staying with family in Topeka. The bed was incredibly comfortable (and I have very high standards for beds as I own a Tempur-Pedic at home!) Everyone slept well and felt rested enough to head back to Phoenix (a 20-hour drive) the next day.

Special thanks to the gentleman who went above and beyond and provided the fan for the evening of Friday, July 4th. Thank you!!

Room Tip: I recommend the two-room suite. It's huge!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Donna C, General Manager at Clubhouse Inn & Suites - Topeka, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Hi christinashelby,

Thank you for your great review of the ClubHouse Inn & Suites. Myself and my staff truly appreciate this review. We work very hard to try and make our guest happy and it is great to hear that our work is paying off. I hope that you continue to return to this location, so we can continue to making your stay a pleasant one.

Donna Coward, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have been a regular at your hotel for years. I have seen the ups and the downs. I thought about going to another hotel until 5 days ago. I had a wonderful lady name Trisha talk to me. Trisha and I sat for while and talked about different things. she talked about how great the hotel is and that I will see some good changes. Every morning I observed her come to the breakfast area say good morning to all the guests and the staff. I have not seen such a happy staff in a long time. his hotel is a breath of fresh air now, everyone of the staff is smiling and happy and that makes me smile. This shows thru-out the hotel, the employees take pride in where they work and it shows on how clean the hotel is. There are new BBQ grills outside and the courtyard is clean. The front desk staff is smiling all day long. I have decided I am going to stay and let everyone at KDOT to come back.

Room Tip: Pay the upgrade for the poolside rooms its worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hi Sandy D,

Thank you so much for this review. The staff and myself included are trying to make positive improvements to ourselves and the hotel. I am very thankful for your change of heart and very impressed with Trisha. Trisha always has a positive attitude and really does try to connect with the guest. Again, myself and staff appreciate your business and hope to see you again next year.

Beavercreek, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We were driving through Topeka on our way to a much further destination, but this stay really set our trip off on a positive note. I loved this hotel! It was very nice inside. When we arrived, the staff were so very pleasant that it put a smile on our faces. That evening, there were activities for the guests that everyone seemed to enjoy.

I know a hotel can't decide who stays there, but even the other guests were charming. I honestly think that a great atmosphere in a hotel elevates the moods and spirits of the people that stay there, and it showed at this place.

Our room was large and comfortable, with everything in good condition and where it needed to be. Temperature was perfect, amenities were spot on, beds were comfortable. If it doesn't show, I loved this hotel. If you get a chance, stay here! You'll love Topeka afterward!

Hi Ken W.,

I am very happy to hear that your stay with us was pleasant. Everyone here at the ClubHouse Inn &Suits truly does car about your experience while with us. It is great to know that all the hard work really does pay off. I will gladly tell all my employees about your great experience. We hope to see you again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

I was traveling threw Topeka with my mother, my daughter, and grandchild and stumbled upon the Club House. What a find this was. When I walked in the door I was greeted by Trisha. What a very pleasant person. Trisha asked how we were and made us feel welcomed as soon as we walked in the door. In our conversation I found out that she was here from the Albuquerque hotel. What a strange coincidence when I was a little girl in the 70's I lived in Albuquerque, we talked for what seemed to hours on the changes there. The rooms were nice and clean, the breakfast was wonderful. Upon checkout Trisha was at the front desk again helping out the young lady. I come to Topeka at least three times a year and plan on coming back each time. I will refer everyone that is traveling to there or threw there to stay at the Club house. The only down side is Trisha told me that she is going back to the hotel in New Mexico. My suggestion is to choose the Club House Inn.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor no elevator
Hi Diane L,

Thank you for staying with us while traveling threw. I am very pleased that your stay was pleasant and the experience with Trisha was great. Everyone here at ClubHouse hopes that if and when you return, you choose us again.

Council Grove, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

This is the only place we stay in topeka. We've been staying there for years. Had a bridal shower, wedding guests stay, baby shower, birthday parties, and family reunions there. They are always accomodating to us and so very nice and friendly! The breakfast is good. The nighttime reception has the most wonderful hostess ever!!!! Great place for a family stay or for a little romantic getaway! Rooms are varied in size and I think we've stayed in all the types and they are all very comfortable. Will be back again and again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Donna C, General Manager at Clubhouse Inn & Suites - Topeka, responded to this review, September 3, 2014
Thank you so much for the outstanding review. We appreciate your kind words and your loyalty to the ClubHouse Inn. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards
Midlothian, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

we have stayed here numerous times and have always found the staff and service to be outstanding. They never had a problem with our large family gatherings in the lobby reception areas, even letting rearrange some of the furniture. The staff took every opportunity to make sure we were all being taken care of. Would stay here anytime.

Room Tip: we found the rooms overlooking the pool were a good choice.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Your kind words about your stay are greatly appreciated. It is always awesome to hear that guest are happy with there stay here at the ClubHouse. On behalf of myself and the staff we want to thank you for staying with us and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I needed to stay here for 4 days during renovation on my house. Clean rooms/bathrooms! staff very pleasant. Complimentary breakfast is fabulous! Complimentary cocktails in evening/super. Surroundings very nice especially at night by pool. Krystle very helpful when I checked in and throughout my stay!!! I highly recommend Clubhouse Inn!!!

Room Tip: My room was #128 first floor! Great!!! quiet! Assess able to pool area!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind words about us here at the ClubHouse Inn. It is always great to hear positive comments. I myself have only been here two months and feel that I couldn't ask for a better staff . Again I want to thank you for taking the time to place your review. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Best regards,

Donna Coward

Been to Clubhouse Inn & Suites - Topeka? Share your experiences!