My husband and I have been traveling to Topeka to visit family regularly for about 13 years. We have stayed at the Hyatt Place, Amerisuites (when it was still open), the Country Inn and Suites and now the Clubhouse Inn.
Clubhouse is the best we have found so far. In Topeka, "luxury hotel" is a bit of an oxymoron because Topeka just doesn't draw that kind of market. So Clubhouse isn't illustrious or particularly fancy, but it WAS very comfortable - more than we needed it to be even - and very accommodating. We booked two rooms, one of which was a two-room suite and the other was a smaller room with two queen beds.
- Front desk staff was friendly, helpful and prompt (even when I asked for things outside of the norm, which I did twice with two different members of staff)
- All members of the help greeted us with a smile and some form of greeting
- All staff were clean cut in appearance
- Our two-room suite was BIG - MUCH bigger than expected
- Water in the shower was incredibly soft (maybe it felt that way to me because Phoenix has such hard water though)
- Bedsheets were crisp and clean and there were more pillows than we knew what to do with (we actually donated about 5 of them to our nanny staying down the hall with our two toddlers and she used them to prevent kiddos from falling off the beds at night - LOL)
- Hallways were quiet and sufficiently cooled; most Kansas hotels' hallways are very hot and muggy in our experience
- The manager's reception offers a free alcoholic beverage and our nanny attended Friday night. She reported that the bartender was incredibly friendly and funny.
- The two-room suite had a temperature control in each room; one for the sofa bed area, and one for the master bed area, which was very nice because our 8-year-old likes it a bit warmer than my husband and myself.
- The room was very, very quiet (actually too quiet for us, and we called down around midnight to ask the front desk if we could borrow a fan for some white noise. 5 minutes later, there was a very quiet knock on our door and a staff's fan was brought in for us - it was perfect!! What service!!)
- The room had a slightly musty smell each time we entered, but it dissipated in literally 5 seconds and never bothered me while we were there. My husband couldn't smell it at all.
- Our two-room suite had a section of carpet from the study desk to the bathroom dressing area that was sticky. I don't know how else to describe it - it was just sticky. Not like apple-juice-on-the-tile sticky, not that bad, but almost like soda had soaked into the carpet over time or something. I put a large towel down over it and ignored it for the two nights we were there. It wasn't a big problem.
- This isn't really a complaint that is specific to this hotel, but I still want to mention that the breakfasts are always too early for out of town guests. I don't recall the exact time they stopped serving, but the 2-hour difference (Phoenix versus Topeka) always makes it impossible for us to enjoy that feature without waking up earlier than we want to while on vacation. I really wish something could be worked out for those of us traveling from the West Coast.
We will definitely return to Clubhouse the next time we stay in Topeka. I believe it is the very best hotel in the entire city and it's a step up from what Topeka has had to offer in years past. We slept well here and I personally rested better at Clubhouse than I do staying with family in Topeka. The bed was incredibly comfortable (and I have very high standards for beds as I own a Tempur-Pedic at home!) Everyone slept well and felt rested enough to head back to Phoenix (a 20-hour drive) the next day.
Special thanks to the gentleman who went above and beyond and provided the fan for the evening of Friday, July 4th. Thank you!!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Clubhouse Inn & Suites - Topeka reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.