“Seems like walls were paper thin” 3 of 5 stars

You added Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka to your Saves list
Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1717 SW Topeka Boulevard, Topeka, KS 66612   |
Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
“Seems like walls were paper thin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The Capital Plaza Hotel looks great from the outside and including the lobby. However....the hot tub wasn't working, over 10 kids in the pool after 10, the 2nd floor elevator stop smelled like sewer problems, and the walls were paper thin. We could hear when the little kids on the right were up BRIGHT AND EARLY and the room on the left TV was louder than our own. Plus, the hotel only accepted or ran DEBIT Card transactions????

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room....don't stay here!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Waipio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I had some business to attend to in Topeka so I booked a room in the Plaza, just down the street from the capitol building. Comfy beds, plenty of space in the two queen bed room and breakfast was awesome. We booked the room with the breakfast buffet and it turned out very well. Really nice atrium area in the center of the hotel with a bar and some water features. I'll stay there again if I pass through Topeka.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kansas City, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Nice hotel as far as looks, but lacks basic amenities one would expect of a high end hotel such as this. No fridge or microwave in the rooms. The swimming pool liked like an Olympic sized lap pool on the website. Amazing how a fish eye camera lens can deceive. It was only 4'6" or 5" max depth and was about 50 feet long if that. The water wasn't even very warm for an indoor pool. The city pool I went to two days later that was OUTSIDE was probably warmer.

I had a room this type with two beds because my family joined me. I'm pretty sure they were just double beds - not queen. I have a queen at home and I couldn't believe how cramped I was. Even after they left a day before me and I slept one night by myself in the double bed, I felt like my feet were sticking off the end of the bed. I didn't get that great of a sleep this time.

I've stayed here four times for business because my company pays for it. If I was paying, I would probably try something different. I guess for free I can't complain...too much.

Room Tip: If you don't need two beds, do NOT get them. Get the single room with a king size bed instead.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The Capitol Plaza Hotel is going to be a comfortable stay while in Topeka, KS.

Room: The room I had was on a high floor, with a view of the convention center/arena. The way that this hotel is set up is with all rooms looking down into the courtyard or center of the hotel, which is great if you stay on a higher floor but could be louder if you are on a lower floor. The rooms was clean and large, the bathroom was ok, nothing spectacular but no complaints either. The only issue I had with my room was my key card de-magnetized, and having to get get another one is always a pain.

Breakfast: Breakfast is not free, but to tell you the truth it's worth paying for. Probably one of the best breakfasts i've even had at a hotel and for a reasonable cost.

Location: Like I said, it's near the convention center/arena, so I would highly recommend it that is your reason for visiting. It's also close to the Washburn campus. Ultimately, it's Topeka, and getting around the city isn't going to take you long wherever you end up staying.

If I had to go back to the Topeka, Kansas area I would absolutely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Zug, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Great service, attractive lobby, dining, and bar lounge. Beds are comfortable, and the rooms are large enough to be comfortable. Nice shower, ample closet space, work area for our laptops. We booked a room that did not come with a refrigerator, but upon checking in and requesting one, the staff immediately delivered one to our room. We have stayed in this hotel many times, and always have had a good experience.

Room Tip: Nice hotel bar area, restaurant offers a Sunday brunch. Rooms are comfortable and clean. This is a...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was recently at the CPH for a show and our group took full advantage of the many amenities of the CPH. The rooms were very clean and well furnished. The hotel was extremely accommodating to those of us who traveled with pets. There were many cleaning stations set for the pets in the event of an accident and the grounds were wonderful for the dogs to get plenty of exercise. We utilized the meeting rooms and the staff met all of our requests. We also held our banquet and a main event in one of the ball rooms. Everything went perfectly and with everything being in one spot we never had to leave the compound for anything.
The main dining room was a bit understaffed for the volume of visitors and the food was ok. Breakfast was better than dinner. But the prices were a bit high. Fairly typical for hotel restaurants though. I was just expecting the mid west to be a bit more reasonable with prices. They really wanted people to eat off the buffet and seemed a bit put out when you wanted to order from the menu. Lunch had a good variety.
The bar was in a great setting in the center of it all and became a nice place to meet and have a coffee or drink.
Easy trip to KC airport though transportation is a bit steep. But if you share the ride it helps and the drivers the Hotel staff recommends are timely and friendly. Hotel desk staff were very helpful and friendly.
Overall it was a really nice trip.

Room Tip: view is better off the backside of the hotel. Our view was over the entrance so it was of a roof.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,155 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

I recently stayed two nights in the Capitol Plaza and had a pretty good experience. Check in was easy and the staff helpful. The room was a king size bed which was pretty comfortable. The rooms was average in size and was clean. The fitness room has cardio and free weights which was nice as many hotels now just have cardio only. Plenty of parking and 3 elevators to bring you from floor to floor. The set up of the hotel is like Embassy Suites in the layout but the rooms are not nearly as big as E.S. Decent amount of food options in the hotel area. I recommend eating at The Blue Moose if you are looking for a good meal in Topeka.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka? Share your experiences!