“Updates needed to rooms. Especially bathrooms. Ick.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #14 of 33 hotels in Topeka
Omaha, Nebraska
“Updates needed to rooms. Especially bathrooms. Ick.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I find it ridiculous when they only offer a double beds or king beds for an additional cost. This hotel was run down for the money. The staff wasn't friendly and directed us to the wrong convention center. The pool was way to small for the Amount of people they were allowing to swim. Dangerous.

• Stayed November 2012
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for your feedback concerning your stay at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. We actually do not charge more for a double or king bed, except if it is for an Executive or Corner Suite. I apologize if we miscommunicated this to you. We are connected to the Expo center as well as the Maner conference center, and someone must have sent you to the wrong facility. That can be quite a jaunt depending on the facility, and I can understand how that can be frustrating.

I haven't heard many comments about the hotel being "run down" before, and wanted you to know that we have just replaced all of our TV's with new LG 37" flatscreens within the last month, and will continue to work to keep our hotel in top notch shape.

Thanks again for the feedback, and I hope that you can come back and give us another try.

Kevin Smith-GM

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for a convention and had a great experience. The food served at all meals was delicious, the room was clean, the staff was courteous and helpful at all times. At a banquet we attended more people showed up than registered for the event and within minutes their staff brought in another table and ten chairs, added the dishes and decor and we were seated. The only issue we had was the conference rooms were on the chilly side.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Lawrence, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed at the Plaza Hotel for two nights as a part of a convention. Must say that the hotel stay itself was disappointing.

Check in and out went fine and it seemed the service by the hotel staff was good. In my ratings I am giving service a poor rating only because of the restaurant.

I must have been one of the last ones to book because I had a handicapped king room. The bathroom was clean but it was a sink only without any type of shelving for toiletries. This might be unique to the handicapped rooms but some type of shelf in the bathroom would have been nice.

Room was also clean but the bed was not comfortable and he fitted cover came off both nights. The doors on all of the rooms are solid, heavy wood. The result is a loud bang when anyone in your hallway comes or goes. I tried to close mine quietly when I would go in and out but it still seemed loud.

Service in the restaurant was horrible. I generally ate outside of the normal meal times so there weren't many people there but getting water or even your check took forever. On one occassion, I did not get a water refill at all. Also, did not get my check so went to the cashier station and waited for the hostess to come back so I could pay. Food quality just okay but reasonably priced.

The meeting rooms were very good. Good sound systems and lighting.

I like staying in the hotel where a convention is actually held for the convenience but doubt I will stay at the Plaza again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during this visit. We use the Serta Presidential Series of mattress and normally get very good reviews on these beds. I understand that it is difficult to sleep when your mattress pad is moving. I will have my Executive Housekeeping Manager insure that these are all attached properly, as well as have my Chief Engineer monitor the door closers. The doors are meant to close firmly for both security reasons, as well as fire prevention. The doors are checked frequently to insure that they close firmly, but do not slam. I have discussed your comments regarding the Restaurant with the Director of Food and Beverage, and am confident that we have addressed your concerns with the staff. I am glad that you enjoyed the service, and the rooms cleanliness during your time here with us, and hope that you will reconsider staying elsewhere on your next visit to Topeka.

Riverside, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

Seems they are about the only hotel in the price range not offering a breakfast. Good location to expo center. Right outside front door. If I ever come to Topeka I would stay somewhere else. Nothing realy more to say.

• Stayed October 2012
Could have offered a continental breakfast for the price they charge for a room.

Thank you for your comments regarding your dissatisfaction of not having a complimentary Continental Breakfast. We do have packages available which include our delicious breakfast buffet, as well as our famous Sunday Brunch. Unfortunately, we choose to be able to offer very competitive rates for a full service hotel, and have a restaurant available for those guests that choose to dine with us. Our hotel is attached to the Expo center, which makes it very convenient for our guests. I hope that you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us in the future.

Bolivar, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our room on the fourth floor was quite comfortable and clean. Reservations and check in went smoothly. Lobby, bar and Falling Water Grille area is beautiful and relaxing. We appreciated the glass coffee cups & used them for drinking glasses too. The coffee maker malfunctioned because the pot lid didn't match up with the maker itself. Coffee ran all over the counter. We didn't report it since we were only there one night. The price is reasonable and the location is great. Now the down side. Most places offer breakfast for no additional cost. When you reserve your room online, there is no additional cost shown when you check the box next to "breakfast buffet". However, on check-in we were told there is a $4.00 per person charge. The only alternative is ordering off the menu which is expensive. The buffet was barely edible except for the melon. Scrambled eggs cold and tasteless with no pizazz at all. Potatoes were tough, cold cubes that were quite stale. The coffee not only was strong enough to stand up and walk, it downright stomped. And I love strong coffee. The biscuit was ok. There was gravy but I didn't try it. My advice is stay here, but go elsewhere for breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding the rooms, reservations, lobby bar and the Falling Water Grille.

I apologize that the coffee maker in your room malfunctioned due to the lid not fitting the pot correctly.

We do charge an additional $8 per person for the breakfast buffet, as stated on the website when the reservations are made and the breakfast option is chosen. I am dissapointed to hear that the eggs were cold and the potatoes were unappetizing that day. I will discuss these concerns with my staff and promise that we will work harder to prevent these types of issues.

We do serve Starbucks coffee as our House Brand. It is a stronger coffee, and has been well received, but I do understand that it is a stronger coffee. We are in the midst of switching to a less robust Starbucks blend, and also have another brand on property that we are able to serve to those guests requesting it.

Thanks again for your great comments, and I hope that you see improvements on your next visit.

topeka
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Room was not clean, dusty and not wiped clean. Room service food was disgusting and then overpriced on top of it. No newspaper. Not a big selection on tv channels, mix up on reservation. Was a mess, just really disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

It's convenient, comfortable, good bar & grill. Excellent value. Only really needs softer pillow choices & and real drinking glasses. We appreciated the glass coffee cups. Glass drinking glasses would be good to go with them. The bar area in the middle of the atrium was comfortable and pleasant, the elevators quite fast. We were on the 7th floor so it was very quiet, and that was despite almost feeling like we were living in a kennel because it was the week of the dog show. We did not hear any barking and there was never any odor in the halls or elevators. It was our second stay at Capital Plaza, and we will stay there again.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for the 7th floor, and the rooms on the east side have a view of a beautiful...