“Non-smoking facility!???” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Topeka
“Non-smoking facility!???”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Did not appreciate the guest in one o the rooms next to us smoking. This is supposed to be a non-smoking facility. We called and complained Saturday night and then had to complain again Sunday morning because they were smoking again!! This is beyond unacceptable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3sacrwd1987, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for advising us of the unpleasant situtation that you encountered. As much as we strive to inform our guests of the smoking policy, sometimes we still discover that this happens. It is very rare that we find anyone smoking, as our fine is fairly steep for the consequences of this action. I apologize that this disturbed your stay, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kevin Smith-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Concordia, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I had a great deal from Hotwire and was really surprised at the cost of the room. BTW, the room was really, really, good; no complaints there at all. In the morning, my coffee maker malfunctioned and it soiled my travel kit. After reporting it to the front desk, the Director of Sales, Deana, personally looked me up in the restaurant and escorted me to see the problem first-hand. To my pleasant surprise, she gave me a gift certificate for a future nights stay free of charge. Now I ask you......how many times have you been treated so well at any hotel...regardless of price! Thanks Ms. Soden and thank you Capital Plaza.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
CapitolPlazaGM, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for the nice comments regarding the Director of Sales, Dena Soden. She is indeed a gem of a person and your kind comments do not surprise me at all. Dena is representative of the service that we strive to have all of our Associates provide, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Overland Park, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I was traveling back and forth from Kansas City on consecutive days and made a last minute decision to spend the night. I had a couple of bad travel experiences in Topeka, so my expectations were low. However, the hotel was nice, quiet, clean and very friendly staff. It'll definitely be my hotel of choice in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a comment regarding your stay with the Capitol Plaza Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that we met your expectations. Please let me know if we can do anything to improve your stay next time you are in town.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We received an excellent deal using hotwire.com & I'll stay again if I'm in the area. My only issue we experienced...water did not get hot so we took lukewarm showers. My first thought was-if the housekeeper is cleaning the room they should know this. I did not complain & actually forgot to mention it at checkout.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with the Capitol Plaza Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, but apologize that the hot water in your room was not up to standard. If you mentioned it to the Front Desk upon check-out, or that morning, I can assure you that it has been repaired. All calls and comments made to the front desk are tracked by room number and any issues reported are followed up with the Front Office Manager, the Director of Housekeeping, and the Chief Engineer. After the issue is repaired, I am copied on the issue and the resolution, and then the item is logged to insure there are no more issues that reoccur in that particular room. Our room attendants clean the rooms with lukewarm water only, as per our chemical companies specifications. This helps to save our natural resources, and is considered a "green" practice. Sometimes without our guests informing us of issues, we never will know, so I thank you once again.

The rooms all have a preventative maintenance schedule and are serviced once every 3 months at the latest, so we catch most problems prior to our guests finding them.

Littleton, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I called and booked a block of rooms for my sons wedding. We are currently staying here and am shocked they do not take Bank issued cards "debit" with a Visa logo. I was never told this policy when I talked to the sales department. It has put several guests in a bind. I was told it was an inconvenience to the accounting department to use anything but a credit card. You are a business. I would be more worried about the inconvenience to the guests. I told them if I ran it as credit there would be no problem and they refused. I offered to pay cash and they refused. I am a travel agent as well as a planner for my high school reunion which is held every 5 years in topeka. you can bet where I will not be booking our reunion and I will be ensuring none of my clients use a John Q Hamm Hotel after learning this ridiculous policy. Even the Ritz takes debit cards. And this is certainly no Ritz. Staff is nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to let me know of the situation that you encountered (via comment card as well) with your previous stay. Over the last several months there have been a number of issues with guests not understanding how "Debit Cards" or pre-Paid cards (VS and MC giftcards Included) work when checking into a hotel. Some guests have had issues with the "Holds" not being released from their bank after 3-4 days. Due to the number of guests using these cards, and some of the issues that have came up, we did place a sign at the desk, and verbiage on the registration cards stating that we no longer accept Debit Cards and Pre-Paid cards. We will accept them if that is the method that the guest wants to use, but at least we are now able to explain the process to the guest at check-in, thus elminating any issues after check-out. We have had many positive interactions with our guests whom were grateful that they were informed, and given the option to use another card, or to pay cash if they wanted. I apologize if there was a misunderstanding with our clerk. Of course, we take cash as always, and will still accept Debit Cards too. Please know that this was solely a method to improve our service to our guests, and I apologize once again for any frustration or issues that this caused you.
I am looking at different verbiage to use on our signs to explain this policy better to our valued guests.

Thanks again for your candid comments.

Fort Scott, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We had two rooms for two nights ... June 12 and 13 ... for a conference. The conference rate was $79 per night (plus tax) which seemed very appropriate. The rooms are typical of a 3 star hotel with comfortable pillow top beds. My only complaint with the beds was that the fitted sheet did not fit well ... the corners kept popping loose. We also had a problem with the shower being partially clogged and not draining quickly enough (water puddling up to your ankles) the first day. However, we brought it to their attention and they fixed it. We had no problems with it on the second day. Check in and out was quick and easy. The lobby area is very nice. Its location is perfect ... right next to the Kansas Expocentre (Topeka's arena). We were not attending an event there ... but if so, you could walk to it. It is also less than a mile from the Capitol building and downtown.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the nice comment. I have informed our linen vendor of the issue with the sheets popping off, and we switched to a product with deeper pockets. I am glad that you mentioned the slow draining tub and that my Engineering team repaired it quickly. I hope you come back to beautiful Topeka soon!
Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the past 10 years and continue to enjoy the Capital Plaza. I have read several comments about the hotel decor being out-dated. Some people interpret "out-dated" as "falling apart" or "unkept". While this hotel might not have all of the newest colors or furniture that follows the latest trends, the guest rooms and all common areas (lobby, restaurant, pool, fitness room, meeting rooms, etc.) are well-kept and cared for by the many dedicated staff members. The friendly staff, along with the nice hotel environment, make this a great place to stay! If there was one thing that I could change, it would be to have attendants that could assist in unloading the vehicle and helping get things to the guest room. All in all, this is a good place to stay while in town on business or for other events.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Wow, 10 years as a guest, that is amazing. I hope that you have seen at least a few improvements done over the last couple of years....ie; sliding doors on the East Entrance, less big trees in the atrium, modern plants and planters in the hotel, etc. We do work hard to improve the hotel, and have just ordered all new fitness center equipment including treadmills, recumbant bicycles, free weights, mirrors, etc. This area should be completed in the next 4-6 weeks, and we are excited to showcase this state of the art equipment to our guests.

Been to Capitol Plaza Hotel Topeka? Share your experiences!