The two of us decided to turn a business trip to Topeka into a quick overnight get-away and were sent to the Downtown Ramada. Very pleasant place -- beautiful atrium where I got to spend a very enjoyable few hours reading and relaxing. Overall impressing of the place was very positive, except ...
We arrived just after mid-morning to check in as the meeting was scheduled to start at noon. We understand when that happens that rooms may not be ready, BUT the way in which we were told this information really could have been SO much better! Don't know the name of the woman at the desk but her attitude was that she was really quite irritated that we didn't seem to know that "Check-in USUALLY isn't until 4." Like we must be rather ignorant not to know that, well, OF COURSE our room wouldn't be ready! (If she had followed it with "Duh!" it wouldn't have been any less unpleasant.) We were told that if we checked back, say maybe at 3, our room "MIGHT be ready." Just a general attitude of being harried and irritated and that we were just pretty much an inconvenience to have to deal with! Hmmmmm.
At 2:30, I checked back at the desk (having spent the time reading in the atrium which was VERY NICE, but my eyes were starting to go funny!), on the chance that some miracle might have happened or something! Thankfully, at this time, the woman we'd originally spoken with wasn't behind the desk and I spoke with Megan, who was about as far from our original dealings as you could get! SO friendly and SO helpful and cheerful! Immediately set me up and then even called the room, once I was in, to see if everything was all right. What a change! Interesting how a first impression can cast such a negative light on a place, and then how easily a smile and simple courteous and friendly demeanor can turn the whole thing around!
And then -- how many people get to eat breakfast while Matthew McConaughey waits on them??!! The gentleman in charge of the breakfast area was just a sweetheart of a guy, so observant, attending to everyone's every need and super-friendly and talkative, which was such a pleasure because he did sound EXACTLY like the actor! (Told him that if he'd just incorporate "alrightalrightalright" into the conversation more, he'd be spot on! Said he'd actually been told before that he sounded like him, so it wasn't just us! So much fun!)
Other than the initial check-in attempt, we have nothing but good things to say about the hotel and would definitely go back if we were in the area again. Thank you for a wonderful, relaxing couple of days!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When traveling to Topeka or passing through Kansas, why stay anywhere else when you can stay at a national award winning hotel? The full service Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center is a Back-to-Back national award winning hotel for Ramada Best of 2010 & 2011. The hotel is conveniently located on Interstate 70 making it a short 15 minute drive to anywhere in the city and only two blocks from the downtown financial district and state Capitol. On weekends, experience some of the best Live blues music in the nation at Uncle Bo's LIVE Blues bar featuring many Grammy nominated and award winning artists. You do your thing, leave the rest of us. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Wyndham, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Convention Center, Downtown Topeka Hotel Topeka
- Ramada Hotel Downtown Topeka
- Ramada Topeka
- Topeka Ramada