“Will not be going back” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center

You added Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center to your Saves list
Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   420 SE 6th, I-70 at West Exit 362B and East 361B, Topeka, KS 66607, Topeka, KS 66607   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
WICHITA
“Will not be going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I spent more than $100.00 for one night and didn't even have an option for air conditioning in my room. The hotel said they turn off the air at a certain time of the year. My kids have allergies and opening the window was not an option. And who would want to open a window in that part of town. That neighborhood was scary! I was also disappointed in the employees. When I walked up to the desk to check in there were three female workers all looking at computers and not a one of them asked to help me. I had to say "would anyone like to check me in today". There was a waitress in the bar who must have told 3 or 4 people why she was so late getting to work...she had spent all night and morning in jail...nice. Needless to say, I think we spent way more money than needed in that place. We will never be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

TopekaRamadaGM, General Manager at Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Your experience at our hotel is not typical and concerns me. I sincerely apologize that there was an issue with your AC. During these months of the year we work very hard to ensure that the temperature of the rooms and facility is comfortable for our guests. While we do not necessarily "turn off the air", depending on the temperature outside the system will cool or heat accordingly. I feel the staff could have handled that request more efficiently and I've talked with the Maintenance Director regarding a more efficient and expedient solution to resolve this. We focus a lot of energy on the front desk service level and the experience you depict, while not common, does not meet my expectation. I have spoken to each person at the front desk and reiterated our rule of always acknowledging our guests in the lobby no matter who they are. I will also address the comment regarding the bartender's comments. Whether or not that happened it is not something our guests should be hearing.I do hope you give us another chance when you return to Topeka and you are more than welcome to contact me directly regarding those accommodations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
MOUNT VERNON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel three times now. Each time has been about the same. First the negative. The style and ammenities are extremely outdated. They are also a good bit shabby. Examples are, the old carpet, the walls are uneven from repair with old wallpaper, the paint in the elevator was amateur at best (lines showing) and the actual brass in them had not been polished in at least a year. There is dust on things that are not used much (plants, tops of pictures and entertainment stands, etc). The room did not have a flat-screen t.v. and there was no fan or heatlamp in the bathroom. It felt like the decor of the rooms and the atrium, excepting nice seats, was from the 1980s.

Ok, I know that is a lot, but here are the positives. The service, each and every time, has been absolutely stellar. They go above and beyond consistently, are always nice and engage the customer at most every opportunity. The FREE hot breakfast buffet is outstanding, though several times a machine was not working quite right or they were out of one thing or another. It still outshines almost every other hotel I've ever stayed at and also the Hampton Inn where I used to work. The workers there were also extremely kind and warm and kept everything tidy and running smoothly. The cleanliness of the hotel was good. Despite dust here and there, the sheets were clean and comfortable, the floors were well-kept and you could tell that corners were not, in general, cut. The pool was nice and heated and while fairly small and unadorned, has three waterfalls that my children really enjoyed.

As far as value, if I had to pay full price, I would not find it worthwhile. It is far too outdated and shabby to be worth $89.00 or more a night. However, I've used both Priceline and their weekly rate to lower the cost considerably and find the rate to be perfect with those discounts. The 'diner' in the hotel is largely overpriced for the quality of the food and easily bypassed by ordering in or driving a few minutes to a local food joint which is less expensive and generally better quality. I have no opinion of Uncle Bo's as I have not been inside it.

Overall, I give the hotel a 3 out of 5. If they focused on maintenence details better and updated the carpet, wallpaper and rooms, it would easily be a 5. That said, the excellent service, free breakfast and good discounts for an in general comfortable stay will keep me coming back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

TopekaRamadaGM, General Manager at Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I very much appreciate your detailed review of our property. I am glad to see that you recognize our hotels focus on guest service and going above and beyond. We are constantly improving the property but having a great staff that cares about our guests is very important to us and I appreciate your honest feedback in that regard.
As far as the condition of the hotel I apologize that it may be found in the condition you described in those areas.. We do have full time maintenance and hosekeeping staff for our public areas. Any area being less than presentable is an area I focus on. A few months ago we completed new wall vinyl in some areas of the hotel and are continuing with other areas of the hotel. What you see as great and "needs improvement" is very good information for us to continue improving our product and keeping our service top notch. I will be talking with my staff and refocusing on the the details of keeping the hotel tidy.

Been to Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center

Address: 420 SE 6th, I-70 at West Exit 362B and East 361B, Topeka, KS 66607, Topeka, KS 66607
Location: United States > Kansas > Topeka
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities ( Kid / Family Friendly ) Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#7 Romantic Hotel in Topeka
#10 Business Hotel in Topeka
Hotel Class:3 star — Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center 3*
When traveling to Topeka or passing through Kansas, why stay anywhere else when you can stay at a national award winning hotel? The full service Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center is a Back-to-Back national award winning hotel for Ramada Best of 2010 & 2011. The hotel is conveniently located on Interstate 70 making it a short 15 minute drive to anywhere in the city and only two blocks from the downtown financial district and state Capitol. On weekends, experience some of the best Live blues music in the nation at Uncle Bo's LIVE Blues bar featuring many Grammy nominated and award winning artists. You do your thing, leave the rest of us. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Wyndham and Hotels.com so you can book your Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Ramada Convention Center, Downtown Topeka Hotel Topeka
Ramada Hotel Downtown Topeka
Ramada Topeka
Topeka Ramada

If you own or manage Ramada Topeka Downtown Hotel and Convention Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.