“GROSS GROSS GROSS” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Topeka West

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Topeka West to your Saves list
Motel 6 Topeka West
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1224 Wanamaker Rd SW, I-70 at Exit 356/I-470 at Exit #1, Topeka, KS 66604   |
Ranked #28 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Wichita Falls, Texas, United States
“GROSS GROSS GROSS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

This Motel 6 Needs some serious remodeling the stairways in horrible condition, the carpet in the room was nasty, toilet was gross, dust looked as it was building up for years, there were holes in the walls, could not even used the air or heater no wording left on the knobs, smell so bad, I should of looked at the room b4 I paid.... ceilings were stained n peeling.. THIS PLACE NEEDS CLOSED DOWN IN VERY POOR CONDITION

Room Tip: Look at the room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I am officially fed up with Motel 6! This is the 3rd one I have stayed in within the past 2 months and each one was in a different state, different owners/managers, etc. and each one was HORRIBLE!
I chose Motel 6 so there would not be a hassle with my service dog. Even though the ADA is very clear about the acceptance of a licensed service animal, I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have to go into great detail with some uninformed idiot as to the federal guidelines and punishments for this subject matter. So...I try to find "pet friendly" places. It's usually just easier.
However, with what appears to be the entire chain of Motel 6, while they may be PET friendly, they are certainly not HUMAN friendly!

This last one was last "updated" in what can only be considered the "analog" age circa 1975. The CEMENT BLOCK walls make sure that the chain smoker in the adjoining room of my NONSMOKING "area" (it was far too small to be considered a room) had their cigarette smoke wafting in with such concentration that I have awakened in the night coughing! So I am writing this review while this experience can truly be described in its full glory!

In addition to the "jailhouse motif", the room is so small that LITERALLY you cannot walk between the bed and the "desk" (which is a plank of Formica jutting out of the wall with a 10 year old fuzzy pictured TV). You have to turn your body sideways and inch across the "room"!The "bathroom" is so small that you can only fit your body in the area by entering into it fully and THEN closing the door. There is less than 8 inches between the toilet and the tub! My closet in my laundry room at home is much larger...and that is really small!

For the almost $60 I paid for this piece of..."paradise", I could have stayed at a nicer motel that didn't greet me with "Topeka police heavily patrol this area" at the front desk! Also, there is no place to walk my dog. And, if all this wasn't enough fun, I was not only charged for the internet, since we have two computers, I was charged TWICE FOR INTERNET CONNECTION!! Seriously! I have never heard of ANYONE charging PER COMPUTER! And the connection was so slow and so antiquated that I could not upload ANYTHING!

This is my LAST Motel 6! If the owners or stockholders or whomever is actually in charge of all these franchised versions ever reads these reviews, they had better pay attention and make some radical changes. People are really starting to utilize TripAdvisor and heeding these warnings. I know I have learned my lesson!

Stay away from this place if you want to get a good night's sleep! I have also learned that many more Americans are smoking than I had ever thought possible...and they all seem to LOVE nonsmoking rooms at Motel 6!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Topeka West, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear Jess P, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We sincerely apologize
better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Saguache, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Dirty and smells like perfume and wet dog. Also fear for my vehicles safety.this was one of the worst motel 6's we have ever stayed at.beds are hard as a rock and floors not vacuumed I think these rooms are for low income housing or could be just as bad is a prison cell.only good not really good thing was the lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Topeka West, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear cynthia s,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for recognizing our front desk staff. The cleanliness, odor and safety issues you encountered are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6, and we sincerely apologize for your unpleasant stay. Please kindly contact our Guest Relations department so they can have a record of your experience to help us provide you and our other guests with better service in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is horrible. Our company paid for the room & of course, by the time we checked in it was too late to change, as our office was closed. So we are stuck here.

First issue was upon check in. Our company booked & faxed in the credit card authorization, as they do with hundreds of hotels a day. It took me 10 minutes to convince the desk clerk that she was not making a copy of MY credit card to pay for the room.

Then we got to the room. The beds are horrible, can't figure out what the smell is, toilet won't flush & then I discovered they want me to pay for the Internet. $2.99 per day per device. We stay in hotels 5 nights a week all over 4 states and I have never paid for Internet use.

We definitely won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Topeka West, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear amackl2 - The service, maintenance and odor issues you experienced are not consistent with Motel 6 standards for quality. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered and highly encourage you to contact our guest relations department so we will have a record of your experience to improve your experience with us in the future: 1-800-577-3435.
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Not much Too Say About This Place Other Then Avoid yes the rate is cheap, but thats because u get what u pay for..............AND THEY ARE CHARGING TOO MUCH HERE
Chickens Bone under the Dresser That My Dog Pull Out (PLEASE SEE PICTURES BELOW)
And NOT @ ALL PET FRENDLY AND NO PLEACE TO WALK YOUR DOG

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Missouri USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have stayed at this Motel 6 several times over the last 12 years and it is showing its age. We have never had the dirty rooms others have commented on, but our recent stay started out bad. We arrived at 6:45 PM and already the lobby was closed and I had to stand in the door way, freezing while using the night-check-in window!!!! The numerous signs saying the police were keeping a close watch on the motel and would "investigate" without warning was new and disconcerting.

We also have to pay for internet at this location, which is just plain stupid, especially since it has to be paid for separately!!! Oh, no! can not pay for it along with the room. Extra, extra silly. I also had trouble using the internet, for about a half hour, every time I changed websites, I would have to sign in again. So after awhile, I tried calling the Helpdesk, but could not get through!!!!

This location has been very convenient for us, but we will think twice about staying here any more, especially if it continues to decline.

Room Tip: Stay in KC or Junction City, skip Topeka.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fairbury, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We checked into our room at about 4 and was refunded and checked out about 15 minutes later. When we got to our room it was clearly dirty. The bathroom toilet wasn't flushed. The shower looked dirty. The bedroom had crumbs on the chair and under the desk. The worst part was when we opened the fridge to put some water bottles in it, it was full of mold. We opened the microwave which was also full of mold. I called the front desk and asked for a new room. I was told that there were no other clean rooms available with two queen beds (seems to be a pretty common room, not sure why there were NO clean ones.) I was also told that the front desk person was the only one on staff and that there was nobody to come clean. We promptly got a refund and found a different hotel. Completely unprofessional and disgusting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Topeka West? Share your experiences!