“Soccer Families ruined our stay” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Bailey
“Soccer Families ruined our stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We are Platinum Elite Priority Club members and we complained about the 100s of soccer players running up and down the hallways unsupervised, unruly and foul mouthed to management. They did nothing - said they would clear the halls around 10:00 pm. We never once went to the lobby to enjoy our free drink or breakfast because it was total chaos. We were away from the lobby and could hear the screaming kids in the lobby/pool area - it was just terrible. We came and went through a back door and went up three flights of stairs to avoid the chaos only to be run over by an unruly group of boys one evening. We tried to avoid them but couldn't. If you have a complaint, don't expect any help from management - they cater to the soccer moms.

The rooms are old and run down - really old tile in the bathrooms........quite a bit of mold in the bathtub/shower area. Carpet was dirty and worn. Bed was comfortable with good pillows. The room darkening draperies were torn off the rod....things of that nature. Just not well-kept and run down.

We won't stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the lobby/pool area if you want peace and quiet. When making your reservations...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Double full bed, crt tv, micro and refrigerator. normal sized bath w/ curved rod shower. Unfortunately, the shower head was at my chest......Im 5'10", I cant imagine being over 6' and having to shower in there. Indoor pool with 2 story twisty slide, hot tub. Video games, foosball, pool table.continental breakfast, bar and restaurant. Older decor.

Room Tip: Business far from the pool, vacay w kids by the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place is an old Holidome. So expect that indoor pool moisture and sounds when you arrive. The atrium is very large and cavernous. We've been here twice in the past several years and I've never seen anyone in the pool. It would probably be unbearable with noise if the pool was active. The room had a door opening toward the pool area and another "back" door, which we did open. The a/c worked fine, nice flat screen TV, clean towels and decent amenities. There may be newer places in the area that are nicer, but for a one night stop and convenience to the highway, I'd probably stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: As far from the pool as possible. Stay away from the ground floor. You'd have a door right to...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

pretty good hotel. the bed was comfortable. The room was pretty clean.
It was quiet. the person at the front desk was very helpful. Hotel is located right near the highway, which was helpful to me. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
NW Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at this hotel August 8 - 9, 2012. I am a frequent guest at this hotel, and have Platinum Elite status in the Priority Club. I do know that this hotel is under a new General Manager, who I have not met. The past GMs always took the time to meet me.

Upon check-in, I was greeted by name, and thanked for being a Priority Club member. It was late evening, but I was given my usual suite.

Everything was in place, but I did encounter a major problem. After using the restroom, the drain in the floor started backing up, and sewage ended up all over the floor. I did call the front desk, and they came and checked it out. The guy just shrugged his shoulders and muttered, "Oh, there is a clog upstairs in the room above you, and it must be breaking down." Maintenance is gone for the evening, but it will be taken care of in the morning.

I asked if I could change rooms, and he said I guess.

I packed my stuff up and went to the front desk (without anyone offereing help). The front desk then assigned me to a Handicapped King room, where the bed was broken down. NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I went back to the front desk again, and received a third room, The final room was a double non-smoking. It was ok.

The layout for this room was ok, but had a couple of complaints. The lightswitch for the room is not in a convenient place, and walking into a dark room, it was very difficult to find. You literally had to walk in past the bathroom to find the lightswitch. The bathroom was very small and noisy. Like many hotel rooms, there was a shortage of outlets.

Breakfast was ok, nothing special.

Upon checking out, I had to retell what happened. I don't know if it was ever passed on to management.

Room Tip: Be aware that rooms by the pool can be affected by noise, especially when the slide is operating.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Topeka West, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear AirlinesOfWorld,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology about the room assignment, light switch location and the noisy bathroom. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Norwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Found this place through Priceline, and was VERY pleasantly surprised. It was clean and well-maintained . . . with extremely comfortable beds! The best part was the breakfast . . . I've seldom seen a buffet so well stocked! Be sure to tip the waitresses (Shannon was an OUTSTANDING server)! My only complaint was the lack of luggage carts, though I later discovered they have three of them . . . it seems people were hoarding them in their rooms.

I'm only sorry we didn't get to use the pool . . .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Surprised at how nice this hotel turned out to be- we did ask to be away from the water park area- to avoid the noise and heat off of the dome. The staff was very nice and the housekeeping was great. We went through a lot of towels during our stay and we were always well stocked.
The beds were comfortable. The bathroom was clean.
We did not use the pool area, as we were there for a baseball tournament, but it looked great and the kids that were there were enjoying the slide!
The breakfast was very good - with different choices daily- usually we eat at the hotel once or twice during a 5 day stay, but this breakfast was good enough to eat everyday we were there.
Safe parking lot and area.

Room Tip: We always ask for upper floor away from elevators to eliminate unwanted extra noise
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
HolidomeSales, Manager at Ramada Topeka West, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear. JetterJ, Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. We work hard to ensure our guests are happy and your kinds words about our breakfast tell us we are doing something right!. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

Been to Ramada Topeka West? Share your experiences!