“Works for us and we'll return” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Phoenix
“Works for us and we'll return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

This hotel was a pleasant stay with comfortable beds. The desk staff were "awesomeness" and acknowledged at check-in that we have many choices and they appreciated our choosing them for this stay.

On the CLC rate and payment system, our choices aren't as varied as we'd like, but we still won't settle.

The bathroom was typical, and did show some age, but was clean. The double queen NO-SMOKING ground-floor room was spacious with a separate large desk, free internet with the CAT5 cable attached, offered another table with a coffee maker, and a side chair. The armoir held an old style TV (not flat screen) and 3 drawers for clothes. We decided upon check-in to stay an extra night. The carpet was clean and the room smelled nice.

As Gold Priority Club members, we really appreciate the IHG policy of giving us points, even tho we are using CLC for payment. (Too bad Choice hotels don't recognize customers have lots of choices and will spend our $$$ where we choose!)

Room Tip: Is a large complex with long hallways, even tho there are many access doors to the parking areas.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

If this is the 2nd best hotel in Topeka, I'd be scared to stay at the others! The old Holiday-dome has been thru a renovation, so I was surprised that the beds were so lumpy, and the sheets uncomfortable. The counter in the bathroom had been updated, but that's it. Everything else was old, including the cheap doors, of which our lock didn't work properly. Every time I changed in the bathroom, my entire hand would hit the ceiling, and I'm not tall.

In addition, the breakfast that everyone raves about was a huge disappointment: cold bacon, bananas so brown you'd make banana bread with them...and the selection really wasn't that much more than a typical hotel breakfast - just spread out more.

On the positive side, the staff was friendly, and it was clean. The slide did look fun, but it wasn't open the hours we were there.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

I had a pleasant room upgrade upon arrival. Although, my bed was in need of an update.(Not as comfy as the updated hotels in the IHG family of hotels).
The front desk staff was especially helpful and friendly.
Housekeeping did an excellent job with my room.
I did have to park in the back and when I came back, after dark, the parking lot light was out. I asked about this the next morning, to a maintenance man in the hall, all he said is that a new bulb was on order. (He appeared not in the least concerned when I told him I didn't feel safe the night before). For guest safety, I think I would have called in an electrician to get this fixed rather than just wait for a light bulb order to come in. Or at least, let the guest know in advance and allow them to park in another more lighted area of the property, even if the staff would need to help with the luggage.
I do recommend this hotel over the other IHG hotels in town and will be coming back in December to stay. Hopefully, the parking lot light bulb will have arrived and been replaced next time I arrive.

Room Tip: Back side rooms are quieter, away from the pool with the 3 story slide.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Stayed here for work. Got a pretty nice rate. I thought the large pool slide was pretty funny, but never saw anyone on it. They had a pretty good free warm breakfast. All in all this place was worth staying and i'd come back.

G Man

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

This is a large hotel that is set up to handle conventions and to keep the families of convention-goer's happy. First and foremost is the pool and hot tub area. Not a big pool but nicely heated with a big plus...A 30 foot high water slide. Man is that slide fast! But beware if children go before you because they often don't get away from the exit point which could lead to nasty collisions. The other big plus is the complimentary breakfast buffet. This is similiar to what you'd pay $15 for in the nicer Business Hotels; fruit (melons and berries), cereals, muffins, bacon, sausage, eggs, french toast, etc. Very nice! The rooms are a little worn around the edges and parking was difficult but that slide makes you forget about all the negatives. Secret...it often shows up on Hotwire at a deep discount.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
NW Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on September 22, 2011. This hotel is a home away from home for me, as I travel to Topeka frequently. I am a platinum Priority Club member, and they treat me well. Before I even got to the counter, the clerk is saying "Good evening, Mr. Parker!" Glad to see you back! How was your trip?" It is so nice to stay at a place where they know you by name.

I usually get the same suite, and did so on this trip, a nice large living room, bedroom, and bathroom with jacuzzi tub.

While the room does need some updates, the hotel management has been doing a great job renevating the entire hotel, and am pleased with what I have seen (now if they can just get the climate control system fixed!).

The pool area is located in the atrium. I must say, I am disappointed, and do not use the pool when the slide is in operation, as the slide prohibits swimming, due to where the slide empties into the pool. This was poor planning. The hot tub is a large tub, and is used almost every time I am there.

The breakfast bar is a nice treat for guests, with many options included with the room. Pam and her staff should be applauded for their hard work and dedication to make this a very pleasant Holiday Inn property.

Room Tip: Request a room in the hallways if you wish to be away from the noise of the slide/pool area.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Staying with my husband, two kids, sister, and dad! In searching for a place to meet everyones needs this hotel stood out hands down. I read some bad reviews though and was a little nervous. However, this place far exceeded my expectations! The pool and spa were wonderful to wear out my restless traveling family to prepare for a good nights sleep! The beds were so comfortable, the rooms were very clean, and the ammenities were extraordinary. Best breakfast buffet i've ever had in a hotel. And lastly, the service was best. Friendly staff made me want to stay longer! I highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2011

Been to Ramada Topeka West? Share your experiences!