“Grimy, smelly, completely worn out...” 1 of 5 stars

Value Place Topeka
1801 SW Westport Drive, I-470 & 21st St. (exit 2), Topeka, KS 66604   |
Ranked #25 of 31 hotels in Topeka
New York City, New York
“Grimy, smelly, completely worn out...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

One week was all it took to convince me spending another $20/night for a real bed and actual, usable furniture in another facility was WELL worth it! Referred to, "smells" are mostly due to raw sewage-my 2nd floor toilet backed up within five days. The, "mattress" (quotes intended) is a completely-shot 6" thick thing sitting on top of a plywood platform. Towels: 2-one had large brown stain (wonder WHAT that could be!). There is human hair everywhere like they mopped the linoleum with it and used it for laundry detergent. I, too, suspect bedbugs, but equally suspect the itching I'm experiencing is due to sleeping in sheets that have probably never been properly washed. Also, if one is unfortunate enough to HAVE to stay here, go the nearby WalMart and purchase your OWN bathtowel for $5-7! This stuff is NASTY! Three chairs in the room. Two are ordinary stacking chairs like one finds in hotel meeting rooms. The third is an armchair with no usable padding left. In short, this room is so uncomfortable, it's unacceptable! When one adds in the uncleanliness factor, it's nothing more than a slum. By the way-don't buy the additional, "high speed internet" for $10/week. Bring your own ethernet cable and see if it works in the room. If it doesn't, find a nearby wi-fi spot to get your email. The wired internet connection is also the worst I've experienced in recent years and reminds me of back when certain cable companies bought too few switches and, as a result, the more customers that were added, the worse performance got.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Topeka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

Value Place has been my family's home for the past six months. We are in the middle of relocating from another state and purchasing a home. I definitely would not say that this hotel is anywhere close to ghetto standards but for the price, you cannot expect it to be the Ritz Carlton either. We have had the same manager here throughout our stay and she has been very friendly and more than adequate. Although they do have a high turnover for the rest of the staff, most of the employees seem to be good people. They have provided a safe environment for our family to stay in and have attempted to make our stay as comfortable as possible. I would recommend this option for anyone who is looking to purchase a home or work in this area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Topeka
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2009

The room was very nice and all of the housekeepers and staff that I met were really friendly and always had a smile on their face! I met with the manager who checked me in and her pleasant personality made me feel right at home. I read the previous reviews and I can say that my room neither had bed bugs or stunk of anything. It was a very nice place to stay, a sort of home away from home. I would highly recommend staying at this hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Topeka, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

They have bed bugs! It's awful! I have bites all over. The entire building stinks. They advertise that they are a fully furnished extended stay establishment. That usually means things like kitchenware, towels & soap. There are no dishes, pans, utensils, kitchen towels, soap, etc. You get two bath towels, a bar of soap and dozens of insect bites!

Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

I stayed at the Value Place for a few days, and if you are on a budget, this place will definitely do for a while. It's less expensive staying here for a week then if you would book the cheapest hotel/motel for a week. The place has a new manager. She started about 1 -2 months ago and she was very friendly and helpful, so were the other people I came in contact with. I didn't have any hangers in my room and didn't realize that until 9 p.m. when I filled the form out and I called from the phone up front and the hangers were delivered to me within 10 min. It's nothing glamerous, but I felt ok there and definitely would stay at the Value Place again if I need to.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
mamama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

Been Here almost 8 months and survived most of the staff, which has a turn over rate that is quite sad. the little staff that has stayed are the only ones holding the place together. The " Temp" or Traveling manager that has been assigned , is now running the hotel like he is the dictator . Disrespecting several guests , The disregaurd for the staff is alarming , rude , perverted and seems to be disturbed as though he may have been picked on in school.

It is a Real Shame the owners seem to want to run the hotel properly, but this manager has threatened the staff that they better keep there mouths shut to the higher ups , and if they do talk he made it clear they would back him up and never beleive the other staff.
many other guests have requested that he have the district manager called Or have him report complaints he never tells them because they are in regaurds to him.
He is a modern day Tyrant .
Please do not let this reflect poorly on the other staff they are the only reason we haven't left.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Kansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

I stayed there 2 weeks before being told to leave because my room "smelled like I was smoking marijuana."

I had NOT been smoking anything but cigarettes and burning a candle. But, because I refused to let them in to "inspect" (mind you this is on Sunday when the office is supposed to be closed - apparently except to harass the guests) because I was in my underwear. They came to my door and tried to open it with a key BEFORE they even knocked to see if anyone was in there. And when I told them they would have to give me a minute to get dressed (I am a woman staying alone), Willie (the manager) looked me up and down and said "You look dressed to me." I was not about to let him in after he talked to me like that. So I decided I would rather forfeit the $100 deposit and get out of there as quick as I could. I was given 30 minutes to vacate the premises. What a nightmare!

For the two weeks I was there, it was loud and obnoxious. I know there were rooms that had parents staying in there with 2 or 3 kids. There were so many rules it felt like living in a dorm room or army barracks. AND absolutely nothing is complimentary. You even have to buy your own toilet paper. You have a "full kitchen" (minus an oven), but nothing to cook with or eat on. And the elevator was so slow you could walk up and down the stairs faster.

They give you two towels and two washcloths and if you want them replaced before your bi-weekly cleaning, you have to take them (and the sheets for that matter) down to the office (DURING OFFICE HOURS ONLY) to exchange them. For this luxury, they charge you an additional $7.00 a week. They advertise the room as being $169 a week, but by the time they nickel and dime you to death, the bill is right at $200 for a week.

DO NOT EVER STAY AT THIS "HOTEL" It was like living in the projects.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Value Place Topeka? Share your experiences!