“Excellent staff, bldg could use an update” 4 of 5 stars

Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Columbia, Missouri
“Excellent staff, bldg could use an update”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

We have stayed at the Topeka Residence Inn several times and return largely based upon the reasonable rates and friendly/accommodating staff. The breakfast is good and ready on time (and usually even before the actual “serving” time – which is key for our early starts), the pool is clean, and the kitchens are very nice. Like in most Residence Inns, the larger suites have a large stove that can actually be used to cook on versus the smaller burners that are not very useful. Several times I have been upgraded to larger rooms without asking – this is a great policy and I really appreciate it. The manager really seems to make things work smoothly for Marriott Rewards members. My only concern is that the building could use an update as the bathroom paint/ceiling look worn, there are scuffs on many walls, etc. This does not diminish from the overall cleanliness of the hotel, but it should be in line for an update soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Maids come in your room even if there is a no service sign on your door. They don't respect guests or their privacy. If you want to stay at a place that feels like home this is not the place. Would not stay here ever again.

• Stayed November 2012
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. I apologize you had such a negative experience while staying at our hotel. I want to assure you that these issues have been adressed. We have taken several steps to help ensure these situations don't happen again. We hope with our continued efforts to improve the quality of stay for our guests, you will give the Residence Inn another try if you find yourself in the Topeka area again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

On our way to Denver we decided to stay in Topeka because we had never been to the Capital city before. Being a Marriott reward member we chose the RI and were not disappointed. The staff was excellent and we were treated to a complimentary upgrade on our room, being a gold member. The room was very clean and drinks and snacks were placed inside waiting for our arrival back from the zoo. Dinner was excellent and we wore that off with some tennis and a swim. They could not be more pleasant or ask enough if there was something more we required. Great shopping options within walking distance too. We departed with nothing but accolades for the RI Topeka.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

This staff cares about there guests. My children had a great time in there pool and enjoy there breakfast. Room was very spacious and clean. I liked as Doon as you got into the hotel there was something to drink for you and a snack available.

• Stayed July 2012
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Children running around in the dining room while mothers sit with the rest of their brood, looking at the sprinter with love. Of course our children can do no wrong. But having a 4 y/o running circles around me in the dining room while I try to carry a plate of hot food and a drink? I accendently stepped on the child over and over as I carried the food to a table. This is not an isolated event. The manager prizes the guests with the unruly children yelling and running in the dining room and through out the hotel. He says that these are long term residents and no one has complained for the 4 years he's been there. This is a Marriott property? Dogs running freely in the hallways. A young girl running up to me with a puppy, tripping the door of the elevator. I never figured out what that's about. No complaints in 4 years? Manager, these screamed past the front desk on the outward leg of their run thru the dining room then past the front desk (unattended because the desk clerks are busy watching TV). I complained to the manager and some of the staff. Got a phone call last night from the manager. He told me that I was being racially insensitive! And that he decided to call the police on me if I didn't move out in the morning. I am not making this up. 40 years of business travel. A package or letter arrives for me. No phone call to tell me I have a package. I call the front desk and get a bunch of nasty attitude, like I was interrupting the front desk's TV viewing for the night.

I know of gov agencies (both State of Kansas and US government) and consulting firms who pan this property and urge their people not to stay there. What? No, I'm not making up.

Maintenance? It doesn't really exist. I was ordered by the manager to not be seen anywhere in public places and not to interact with any member of the staff else he'd call the sheriff? If I had check out this morning I would have to do it by having no interaction with the staff? An attorney tells me that this is unlawful detainment. I chanced it and called the front desk saying my A/C was making more squealing than the sound of the TV. I left for the office at 11 AM. No maintenance yet. Overheard the maintenance man (Oh, that's a sexist slur that will get you thrown out) during the longest heat wave in history. The A/C was broken yet again. What was he repeating out loud in the dining room over and over 'well its the hottest in history. What do you expect an air conditioner to do in this heat?) maintenance, do we expect the A/C to work in winter? No, it's summer and summer sizzles in Kansas. What do guests expect? They expect the A/C to work in summer.

We are not to call the housekeeper the maid. That's a racial slur! The housekeeper is the most caring and helpful one I've ever met. Takes dirty dishes and loads then into the dishwasher. Very friendly lady. Oh wait, in the eyes of the management I just wrote a sexist and racial slur by calling the lady who does the housekeeping a lady.

The manager if a former public school teacher who most probably can proudly tell us that he's never ventured into the property.

If you want a very helpful housekeeper, stay here. If you want running dogs and running screaming children, stay here. If you want to get evicted because of racial slurs (I had to Google to find out just what racial slurs are) then stay here. If you want courtesy, don't stay here. If you expect to have a real breakfast and something of a hot or cold snack M-Th in the evening, don't stay her. The food is typically catered by the WalMart across the street then stay here. This can't really be a Marriott property, I assure you. I've stayed in many Residence Inns around the US. Never, never ever even heard someone describe what goes on at this hotel let alone have to live with it.

Room Tip: Stay away. Do not book a suite here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. The decision to ask a guest to leave is not taking lightly and it is always unfortunate for all parties. However, we have to consider the safety and security for all guests as well as our employees when making this decision.

Topeka Residence
Columbia, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The one thing I like about Marriott is consistency of brand and lately, it seems that hotel standards have just been lacking. My husband holds Silver Elite status with Marriott, so we are familiar with the brand and the minor hotels associated with this chain. This property unfortunately doesn't quite live up to the Marriott standards.

The main property itself was clean and within acceptable limits and staff were helpful and responsive to our requests. The property itself has been updated, but there are still much needed areas of improvement. It was an interesting mix of old and dated vs. modern updates, but the overall feel of the room would have been acceptable had it not been for the mattress.

First, let me say that I am a bit obsessive when it comes to hotel bed linens, mattresses, pillows and anything that looks like it might harbor bed bugs or other hygiene issues. I usually will pull the mattress back from the head board and lift it up from the box spring to inspect for any problems. I always inspect under the bedskirt and toss off any bedspreads, decorative pillows and/or blankets that serve no purpose other than to improve the "look" of the room. I also, will lift up mattress covers to physically inspect the mattress.

What I found on this mattress was unacceptable by any standards of cleanliness and certainly not anything a person would sleep on. At the head of the bed, concealed under a clean mattress cover was a brown stain at least 2 1/2 feet in diameter that looked like a person had been murdered there. I am not exaggerating the size of this stain. While it looked like someone had made a concerted attempt to clean the mattress, I cannot imagine housekeeping would permit or allow such a thing to go unnoticed. The dark brown stain was clearly washed out in places, with what looked like might have been an attempt to use bleach. I am hoping that it was simply a red wine stain, but still one cannot help but be unnerved by such a stain.

Management was quick, decisive, and responsive. I took a picture of the stain and showed it to the General Manager, who assured me that the mattress would be removed from the property by noon that day. I certainly hope that it would be. We were comped additional Marriott points, but that didn't exactly instill a sense of confidence in Marriott's standards.

Previous reviewers have cited several other issues with this property, so I will not provide further commentary other than to say that I agree with many of their complaints and issues. The only other complaints I had, were minor compared to the mattress. There was one single hair located on a half empty bottle of shampoo, that I swear housekeeping simply moved from the shower back to the customary position next to the sink. The toiletries are provided by Paul Mitchell and either Paul Mitchell is filling the bottles up half-way or housekeeping is cutting corners. Either way, such a minor thing leaves even the most loyal of Marriott customers wondering what they are going to do next.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms are bigger, but the closet is lower and if you have long clothes then expect them to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the expereince you expected while stay here at the Residence Inn. I want to assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and these issues are being addressed. We hope you will try the Residence Inn again the next time you stay in the area.

Topeka Residence Inn
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Initially the room looked great but upon closer inspection the room was not clean. The bed sheets were dirty and the bathroom was not very clean.

I could hear another hotel guest snoring in a different room which made it very hard for me to sleep.

I only stayed for one night. Had my stay been longer I would have moved to a different hotel in the Topeka area.

• Stayed January 2012
TopekaRI_GM, General Manager at Residence Inn Topeka, responded to this review, March 7, 2012
I want to thank you for your feedback. I apologize you had a negative experience at our hotel. We value all of our guests' feedback and use it to evaluate what can be done to improve our hotel as well as our staff. I want to assure you that all of these issues have been addressed. We hope, with continued efforts, to improve every stay for our guests. Once again thank you for your feedback about our hotel.

Been to Residence Inn Topeka? Share your experiences!