“Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 33 hotels in Topeka
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The place was great! Justin was super in setting up a block for our group. Chris at the front desk was speedy with check-in and accomadating to our group. The room was very nice, and breakfast was satisfactory. The only negative from the stay was when I asked for extra towels at the front desk. Chris wanted me to bring my dirty towels down to him because he is not allowed to give out extra towels. A little stingy!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband suggested we stop at this hotel since I had stayed at a Country Inn & Suites in Orlando, FL that was lovely and he recently stayed at a Country Inn & Suites in Clarksville, TN. This place needs some work! The sheets in room #117 are stained and do not fit the mattress and the pillow cases??? I'm not even sure they are clean. There was coffee drips that had not been wiped up in the bathroom next to the sink....really??? We are in a non-smoking room with a ciggy stain near the sink. This is not a place I would ever stay again and I am not difficult too please. The paint in the bathroom is chipped and the mirror needs to be replaced. I wish I had some Lysol and a clean sleeping bag. I can hardly wait to get out of here!

Room Tip: Find a different hotel until they get this one in order.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
DAVE S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites Topeka-West, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a review. I would like to offer a sincere apology about the room not being clean . I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Once again we are so sorry.

Dave Sandir
Manager
Country inns and suites
Haysville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The desk staff and Breakfast staff are phenomenal. I'm a little concerned about the maid service.
I've stayed at this hotel many times, and I really to have to wonder if they've been taught how to properly make a bed with clean sheets. It seems that when my room is taken care of during my stay, that the bed gets made better than when I first check into my room. Found stains on the 'clean' sheets. The comforter had some fresh stains, that prompted me to get another room.
The hot tub is luke warm and any newborn baby would have loved the temperature. The residue around the inside of the hot tub looks much like the residue from 6 months ago.
There's obviously room for improvement here. If the maintenance staff would put forth the same amount of effort as the desk and breakfast staff, I'm sure I would see a difference. I hope low pay isn't the reason for shoddy workmanship. Even so, every job needs to be done 100%. Wait staff and maintenance--> 50%. Desk and Breakfast 100%. As the Desk and breakfast staff go above and beyond, I rate my most recent stay VERY GOOD.

Room Tip: Tip the front desk staff. They're your first resource to enjoying a lengthy stay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
DAVE S, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Topeka-West, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. We work hard to ensure our guests are happy and your kinds words about our breakfast staff and frontdesk staff tell us we are doing something right!. Unfortunately, we were not able to meet your expectations in some areas but your comments are going to be shared with staff to make improvements. Thank you again and we hope someday you will try us again. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again soon.

COUNTRY INNS AND SUITES
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My sisters and niece had business in Kansas, so we chose the Country Inn and Suites in Topeka for our 4 night stay. The minute we walked in the door, Chris and Crystal, evening managers, made us feel so welcome, and during our stay, they were a hoot to communicate with. Pam took care of the breakfast room and was such a treasure to talk with, too. Justin was our day manager and he was so friendly. We requested a portion of the breakfast room in the afternoon and evening to go through a LOT of family pictures and things. They brought us fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. We took several short breaks and they chatted with us. Everyone made us feel right at home. We even got to know Felix, the maintenance man. This is centrally located and a perfect place to spend your time in Topeka. Topeka is so much bigger than I remember, too. Lots and lots of everything. As we will be needing to return yearly, we will definitely stay here. We were here on family business. My younger sister and I came from the east coast and my big sister and her daughter came from Colorado.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
We are very happy that you found our hotel nice, clean, and comfortable. I also appreciate that you found us good enough to take the time to write a review. We strive for perfection and train our staff repeatedly how to handle guest needs and we do strive for 100% satisfaction. Again, I want to thank you for your time.

COUNTRY INNS AND SUITES
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We rented the room off of Priceline. I was concerned about some of the reviews saying that Priceline customers had to pay more for a non-smoking room. We were assigned a non-smoking room, so did not have any issues with that concern.

The Good:
Location - It's right off I-70 and also on the main drag in town. Easy to access the highway and all the restaurants & shopping that we needed.

Beds - Bed was very comfortable, as were the pillows. Told my husband when we got home that I wanted the pillows we had at the hotel. They also had an extra set of pillow & blanket in the room, so you didn't have to bother the front desk for extras - nice touch.

Breakfast - They offered both a hot option & several cold options for breakfast each morning. This is a bit more than a continental breakfast. They didn't just fill it with pastries, which was great, we had a good selection and everyone we encountered in the dining room seemed to enjoy the selection.

Coffee Bar - They have a 24hr coffee bar in the main lobby. While it's nothing fancy, it's hot coffee at your finger tips! This was a nice touch. They also offered warm cookies in the afternoon/evening at the front desk - which my kids appreciated.

Staff - Wow! I have worked in a hotel, so I have seen my share of good and bad staff. The front desk folks were great. They were always friendly and answered our concerns about a billing question with knowledge. Other than the one guy I saw yelling at the front desk girl over a parking issue (she still kept herself composed and calmly answered him), most of the interactions I witnessed were positive and attentive. Housekeeping was efficient and you really didn't even notice they were there, but that your room was cleaned and beds made. The front desk folks even offered us fruit during the afternoon for our small children, a courteous thought that wasn't necessary, but we did appreciate their thoughtfulness.

The one staff member that made the biggest impression on me was the breakfast attendant, Pam. She was a hoot! Very friendly, helpful and you felt like you knew her immediately. She was very attentive to everyone in the dining room. She is one staff member that management should hold on to - she really does make the difference in the dining room!

The Bad:
Parking is Limited - The main parking lot is small. Several times, after arriving late in the evening, we could not find a parking spot in the main lot. We had to park in the overflow area, while not far from the hotel, was a concern for vehicle safety (it is Topeka after all). It would also be inconvenient if someone was handicapped - they didn't have many handicapped spots for those who need them. I did witness a very unhappy customer yelling at the poor front desk girl over the lack of parking (not that she could do anything about it), but it was an issue for guests.

Details on Maintenance & Housekeeping - This hotel is on the cusp of being a great hotel, if they would pay attention to the details. The hotel is independently owned & operated, and with a contract, allowed to use the Country Inn & Suites name. That being said, they probably are not swimming in cash, since they aren't corporately owned, so I can pardon them for the lack of details, but it's the details that will make them great.

The little things I noticed - baluster missing in the handrail of the main stairs, luggage marks along the walls in the hallways, lots of scratches/marks on the walls in the hallway, aged wall paper, cracked bathtub (room 315), cracked tile in the bathroom, chipped mirror (put a frame around it - easy, inexpensive fix), rusty grates, broken security lock on room door, had to pull door up to lock with deadbolt - door sags and did not align with frame to lock easily, smoky hallway & elevator. On housekeeping issues, bed spread had hair on it and was stained with white marks, dusty bedside tables.

Final Thoughts:
If the hotel would pay attention to the details in housekeeping & maintenance, they would be a great hotel. They have the location, they have the great attitude & attentive to customers from their staff, they just need to pay attention to the details. It's the details which make the property. If the hotel doesn't fix the detail issues, it will look run down and guests will not stay.

Would I stay here again, yes, I would. The details weren't enough to scare me off this time, but if it isn't fixed, they will not keep their customers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We really appreciate the review you sent for our hotel. Our staff has been trained to give our guests the cleanest rooms in the area. We also strive for grade A customer service and guest satisfaction. We do not charge fees for changing same room type from smoking to non smoking if we have available.Thanks again for your review.

Country inns and suites
Denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We needed a pet-friendly hotel for one night during our cross-country road trip. We found this hotel in Topeka. It was just another place to stay along I70. Nothing special and we probably won't be back. We think this hotel was average in every way. It has a good location off the highway, but Topeka is kind of a dump and I wasn't interested in spending any more time in this neighborhood than I had to.

The room was basically clean. It was fine for one night. It was average and I can barely remember it just a few weeks later. There is some green space around the hotel for walking your dog (which is important to us).

If I had to pass thru Topeka again and I needed a pet-friendly hotel, I might stay here if I had to. But I doubt I'll ever be back. There was nothing wrong with this hotel, but I've certainly stayed in better hotels along I70 and I80 during my road trips.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Baldwin City, Kansas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Country Inn this past Friday night (Dec. 7th, 2012). I have stayed there, along with other family members, many times in the past and have always had a wonderful experience. The rooms are always clean and the staff is very friendly and attentive. I always request a non-smoking room and have never experienced any smoke smell in the room or down the hallway. I usually never go to the pool or spa so I can't really comment on it. Breakfast always has a wonderful variety of foods and beverages and it is always great. The rooms are very quiet and there is never noise in the hallways at night, so I always get a good nights rest. I travel to Topeka quite a bit for both business and for family time, and plan on re-visiting the Country Inn and Suites. Had a great stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Country Inn & Suites Topeka-West? Share your experiences!