“Great food, but loud” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Great food, but loud”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

Took the family out to the Blue Moose for dinner on a Thursday evening.  Full house at 6:30; we were threatened with a thirty minute wait but got seated in ten.  The server was attentive, quick, and friendly, when we arrived.  He had a nice sense of humor.  Sadly, we didn't see that much of him during the meal.

The atmosphere was like an Applebee's, though perhaps a tad fancier.  A mix of booths, tables, and TVs everywhere, and very, very loud.  The noise level made it difficult to have a conversation.  This might have been related to the fact that it was a beer special night, with some brands available for a buck and a half. The exterior has a large outdoor patio, while about a fourth of the interior is bar space.

I ordered the rosemary chicken and a cranberry walnut salad.  My wife had a turkey burger and my son a pizza.  The chicken came with asparagus and potatoes and was excellent, juicy and flavorful.  The salad was well constructed.  The turkey burger was just right and nicely seasons.  It would not be fair to review the pizza, since my son had the meat left off.  I will say the crust was delicious.

Other than the noise level, I also did not like the fact that the waiter did not bring the meal items nor clear the plates, those task were assigned to others.  This is a new pattern in some restaurants and limits more contact with patrons. It may be efficient, but I don't care for that model.

Still, it was overall a good experience and I would like to go back again on a less busy evening.

Topeka, KS
“Favorite in Topeka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I have dined several times at Blue Moose for brunch and lunch. The food is excellent---especially the mac and cheese (build your own) and the pizza. The Sunday brunch is the best in town. Have never had bad service at Blue Moose. Love to go there to sip wine and visit with my best friend!

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wichita, KS
“New to me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had never heard of this place until one of my co-workers wouldn't stop talking about trying it out. It wasn't bad but they don't have a niche market on their concept. They are locally owned and support local markets. I appreciate that. Neat concept - Build Your Own Mac and Cheese. My co-worker said it was tasty, however skimpy for the price. It's Mac and Cheese served in a large bowl to make you think you're getting more. I would have rated them higher if they weren't skimpy on the portions.

Visited May 2012
Topeka, Kansas
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I've been here several times and each time I leave I am anxious to plan my next visit. The atmosphere is fun and relaxed and the service is always attentive and informed. I HIGHLY recommend Sunday brunch, the variety and quality of food is unsurpassed in Topeka.

The Greek Pizza and Gormet Mac & Cheese are a couple of my go-to favorites.

Skip Applebees, go to the Moose instead.

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Ok food, but you pay for the atmosphere too”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I ordered the chicken and shirmp curry, which was good. I went during lunch and they had a half size, wich was more like a quarter size portion. It was still yummy, but for the price, I expected a little more. Everything looked clean and neat and our waiter was nice. I would go back, but only on special occasions.

• Visited May 2012