“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in Topeka
Junction City, KS
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband was scheduled for heart surgery on 5 July, so we both checked into a lovely Queen suite on the night of the 4th. We left very early the next morning since he had to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. I spent a lot of time at the hospital, but most afternoons at the hotel. I loved it. the breakfasts were good, too. The rooms were kept very clean and I wanted for nothing. I was happy to see they had a gym downstairs since I walk a treadmill every day at home. However, I was too worn out from going back and forth to the hospital to use it, but it was there if I wanted it. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. Only one night was noisy until around 11:30 when an arguing couple were yelling at each other and slamming doors. They should have stayed at Motel Six, not a nice elite hotel like the Senate. I highly recommend it and if I have to stay in Topeka for a week again, I'll be at the Senate.

Room Tip: My suite had the sun shining in early in the morning,m right onto the bed (curtains closed all night...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SenateSuites, Owner at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
We are glad that you found comfort in our hotel during your husbands surgery but do apologize for the yelling you heard. Hopefully, it didn't keep you awake to long. If you liked the Queen bed in your room, you should try the Queen or King Temper Pedic Cloud Supreme mattresses we have in some of our rooms. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Olathe, Kansas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Senate Suites is designed well for extended stay visits. I stayed in one of the Queen-size suites for 4 months and play to stay here again next year. The property is old, but in very good shape and kept very clean. Other reviews mentioned noise, but that is a rare occurrence as most of the people staying here are not the party-crowd type and are very respectful of the different schedules kept by everyone.

The pluses are:
The room setup is great with a kitchenette (mini fridge, microwave, and sink), a balcony (most rooms) and a lounge area (most rooms) suitable for guests. Even though it is an older building, the bathrooms are still a normal size.
Personally, I like the easy access to the Capitol (why I stayed here) and the excellent breakfast every morning.

The couple of caveats are:
The TV/Cable has no menu guide to see what shows are on and the channel changers do not let you type in a channel number. (Not a big deal to me.)
The WiFi is not reliable. It is fine for browsing the web, but not for doing serious work. NOTE: this is a problem in most places I stay because they do not provide enough access points for all the devices (computers, tablets, phones) that try to connect up in this day and age. Most places are 5 years behind.

Room Tip: Th top floors have less noise (no floor above) and East side has a better view (not that there is mu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

SenateSuites, Owner at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for the great review. The Senate is set up perfectly for long term stays like yourself. We value each and every response we recieve as they make us better. In regards to your concerns, we unfortunately do not have Digital Cable which allows viewers to see what is on tv. We are also working on our remotes as we have found thanks to your review that some of our tv's are not programmed for the remote numbers to work . We also recently had our IT staff and an outside company write up a complete WiFi overhaul that will be implemented throughout the coming months. These changes will allow our guests to utilize their smart phones and tablets more effectively which as you have already said is a problem in many hotels right now.

Thanks again for the great review and we look forward to your future stay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

First off you could practically hear people farting in the next room. The night we were here there was a wedding booked and couldn't sleep. At a $100 a night in Topeka come the F on. I will absolutely never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
SenateSuites, General Manager at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
On behalf of the staff, I would like to apologize that your stay did not meet your standards. We try to be accommodating to all guests' when there are events going on in the lower level meeting room. All events are ended by Midnight to ensure that noise is at a minimum and we place all guests not associated with the event in a seperate wing. Thank you for the comments as they always help us improve our operations.
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My family and I spent the night here recently and were impressed on multiple fronts. The manager working the front desk was very helpful and even showed me multiple room types when we arrived so I could make sure that we had made the right choice. The suite is actually a small apartment (the building was sturdily built as apartments in 1928 and converted to a hotel in 1991) with two bedrooms a living room and a nice marble bathroom. The room also had a large mini-fridge and a microwave.

The beds were extremely comfortable and we were able to watch election results on a large-flatscreen while the girls watched something else in their bedroom. In the morning a hot breakfast was served in a large dining area downstairs - plenty of room to spread out, unlike many of the newer value-oriented business properties.

We will stay here again; very pleased with the overall experience, and the value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
SenateSuites, Manager at Senate Luxury Suites, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
We appreciate your response. The Senate is unlike any hotel in Topeka and we strive to give a lasting impression to our valued guests.

Come back and see us again.
Kansas City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in a Kitchenette suite and was very happy with the 5 room suite and the neat balcony. For an "older" property its well kept and clean, living room area furniture was very comfy. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Seems the entire hotel is rock solid and very quiet. Caveat -- Not very well marked for fire exits a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for the review. We value your comments are are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We have looked into your concerns regarding the fire exits and have added bigger signs in better places.

Come back and stay with us soon.
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I am glad that I decided to buy a place to stay different than the hotel. I like living in someone' house.
It is closed to the capitol (2 blocks)
It is beautiful with your own private bathroom, balcony, kitchen place without utensils.
The bed and a sofa bed are very comfortable. ( it is chilly at night)
Breakfast on ground floor with good varieties to choose from.
The registration on the first floor . If you came in the front, walk up some steps.
However, If you came in the back, you have to take elevator to the first floor. We got confuse at the beginning. Then we asked someone whose stayed in there; They got confused, too.

Room Tip: I like the 3rd floor on the front with balcony.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were unable to book into a different B&B when my wife found this gem. It's an older (1930's) low rise apartment building converted into a boutique hotel. We loved it. It was convenient, clean, updated and the "suites" were large and roomy (we had a one bedroom suite with kitchen and balcony!) and it cost under $100 per night. Highly recommended. We'd stay there again next time we're in Topeka. Breakfast was included too.

Bonus comment: while on an 8,300 mile roadtrip, this was the best night's sleep I got. I don't know what mattresses they use but it was fantastic.

Room Tip: We liked the room near the front but all appeared good and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Senate Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!