“Nice for the money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 33 hotels in Topeka
Ohio
“Nice for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

It was a good place to stop for the night on our way west. Staff was friendly at check in and offered us a free beverage. Pet friendly and it was nice to have a full size refridgerator for the frozen food we had with us.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer B, Manager at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay. We highly appreciate the kind words that you have for our staffs. I’ll make sure to let them know your comment as we always strive for the best customer experience.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

Not clean, coffee was basically brown colored water, left a small plastic bag with medication in it and hotel refused to mail it to us. Manager would not even discuss with me on the phone.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, IHG Care at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Cowgi,

Thank you for leaving us feedback. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

Janice A.
Hutchinson, KS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

From the first time I called this property I was treated with virtually no customer service. I wanted to get three rooms close together and was told rudely to keep calling back. When we checked out our rooms were checked out incorrectly. We were accused of stealing all the linens in the room and every time I have any communication with the management we were treated rudely as was my ministry partner. I deal all the phone in business all day for over 32 years and the first contact I had with the manager I had to make an excuse that I would call back to calm her down. Do not call the Corporation customer service that is a waste of time they told me they always side with the hotel. So why call? We had planned to use the Candlewood Suites exclusively for our traveling ministry and will not consider this hotel EVER! We are still praying for the management team at this hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, July 19, 2012
Dear SusanHutchinson_KS,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Best Regards,

Lera M
IHGCare
Kansas City
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Topeka Candlewood is the worst in the chain in my experience. I've had multiple stays in other locations with no problems until Topeka. There was hair in the refrigerator and clumps of dust spewed from the air conditioner onto the sofa. The elevator was out of service, and because I was doing laundry, I had to make repeated trips from my room to the main floor. Each time, I had to step among the coiled hoses of the unused carpet cleaning equipment that entirely blocked the hallway. (Since the elevator wasn't running, the equipment simply could've been moved in front of the elevator doors and kept the hallway clear.) The staff I saw were not friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Abby226,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience, so we have sent you a private message.

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here twice during cross-country car trips because it's the lowest priced Priority Club hotel in the general Kansas City area. Little or no traffic and lots of places to eat nearby. Rooms are fine, clean, everything works etc.
I did have a little problem with the night clerk when I walked in without a reservation. They had plenty of rooms but he insisted I use the house phone to call for a reservation before he could check me in! He said he didn't know how to work the computer unless there was a pre-existing reservation! Dumb kid; dumber hotel manager for not training his people properly.

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear TheTimMan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed in this location while working as a temp manager for On the Border Mexican Restaurant and Cantina. I was there for 15 weeks and the hotel staff went out of their way to insure I was comfortable! Jennifer even took the time to make me a list of her favorite things to do in Topeka to help me spare the time! If you are ever in the area I highly recommend this as a great location for an affordable price! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed January 2012
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. It’s pleasing that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. We will definitely pass this on to our employees and give them a tap at the back for doing a great job. And thank you for recommending our hotel. It was a pleasure to serve you.
Saginaw, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I recently relocated to the Topeka area for employment and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a month until my apartment was ready. It was comfortable, the staff was friendly and I never walked out of the building without someone saying hello. The only complaint I had was that housekeeping is weekly instead of daily,but I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay while relocating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
It is nice to read that you remark the perfect location and value of our hotel and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. And we highly appreciate the kind words that you have for our staffs. I’ll make sure to let them know your comment as we always strive for the best customer experience. And recommending our hotel truly means a lot. Thank you.

Been to Candlewood Suites Topeka? Share your experiences!