“A fine place, just beware the night clerk” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 31 hotels in Topeka
Statesboro
“A fine place, just beware the night clerk”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here twice during cross-country car trips because it's the lowest priced Priority Club hotel in the general Kansas City area. Little or no traffic and lots of places to eat nearby. Rooms are fine, clean, everything works etc.
I did have a little problem with the night clerk when I walked in without a reservation. They had plenty of rooms but he insisted I use the house phone to call for a reservation before he could check me in! He said he didn't know how to work the computer unless there was a pre-existing reservation! Dumb kid; dumber hotel manager for not training his people properly.

• Stayed March 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear TheTimMan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed in this location while working as a temp manager for On the Border Mexican Restaurant and Cantina. I was there for 15 weeks and the hotel staff went out of their way to insure I was comfortable! Jennifer even took the time to make me a list of her favorite things to do in Topeka to help me spare the time! If you are ever in the area I highly recommend this as a great location for an affordable price! Keep up the great work!

• Stayed January 2012
Jennifer B, Manager at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. It’s pleasing that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. We will definitely pass this on to our employees and give them a tap at the back for doing a great job. And thank you for recommending our hotel. It was a pleasure to serve you.
Saginaw, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

I recently relocated to the Topeka area for employment and had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for a month until my apartment was ready. It was comfortable, the staff was friendly and I never walked out of the building without someone saying hello. The only complaint I had was that housekeeping is weekly instead of daily,but I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay while relocating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
It is nice to read that you remark the perfect location and value of our hotel and that you noticed our friendly and helpful staff. And we highly appreciate the kind words that you have for our staffs. I’ll make sure to let them know your comment as we always strive for the best customer experience. And recommending our hotel truly means a lot. Thank you.
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

As someone who travels regularly for work I have seen the best hotels and the worse hotels. This was my first visit to the Topeka area and I have to admit I was more then a little bit concerned about some of negative reviews I had read about the Candlewood Suites Topeka before my arrival. Thankfully all my worries immediately disappeared at check in. The front desk staff was friendly and accommodating. The room was by far one of the best rooms I’ve stayed in. It was clean, comfortable and gave me a feeling of home even though I was 500 miles away.

Like most extended stays you are bound to run into a few snags. During my 3rd night the television in my room began to act up, (during March Madness no less) needless to say I was upset. I immediately mentioned this problem to the front desk who directed me to general manager Jennifer who had maintenance send me up a new TV and credited me with 1,000 Priority Club Points for my inconvience. I only missed about 10 minutes of the game. Based on my experience with hotel maintenance in the passed I was beyond impressed by there customer service.

Lastly and most impressively two nights later the hotel held a general managers dinner and Jennifer sought me out to apologize for what happened and to check if I needed anything else. As someone who stays at hotels 100 nights a year I have never had a general manager know me by name and seek me out just to apologize for a problem the hotel had, it was extremely refreshing. I look forwarded to my next stay in Topeka.

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

As a priority club member, I frequently stay in hotels for business. I had to travel to Topeka for business this month and my company placed me at this place. I had previously stayed there a while ago and felt the management to be poor, So, when I saw the sign stating "Under New Management" I was encouraged. To be fair, the room accommodations were adequate and I like the convenience of the in-room microwave. However, it stops there. Do not ever ask for anything from the front desk staff or the "new" GM. I think the new one was worse than the old one. I made my request from the woman at the front desk and she was nothing but rude. As luck would have it, the GM named Jennifer happened to appear shortly there after. She, too, was extremely rude and informed me that's just the way things were and if I didn't like it to leave!" She actually raised her voice to me in the lobby of her establishment. I was so embarrassed. I did check out and cancel my return reservation. I went to the clubhouse Inn and Suites and enjoyed the rest of my stay in Topeka. My company will never be sending another person to this hotel!

Saint Joseph, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I travel lots for business and frequently stay in hotels. We got to the hotel and checked in. The staff wasn't overly friendly. The next day, I went to the front desk and expressed my concern over an incident the night before. I was treated rudely and yelled at. When I asked to speak to the GM, I was treated even more rudely by the lady at the front desk. Jennifer, the GM, was just as bad if not worse. She was uncooperative, unaccommodating and started yelling at me in the lobby in front of guests. She informed me if I didn't like things, I could leave! I did and I cancelled my return reservation for the following week. STAY AWAY!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Candlewood Suites Topeka, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Tricia W,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is very disappointing to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We would like the opportunity to discuss this in further details, and have sent you a private message to obtain additional information.

Myrna M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Auburn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

As a Platnium member with Priority Club Rewards I have stayed at my fare share of Hotels and when I stayed at this one I was shocked and appalled. A Huge sign hung on the side of the hotel **Under New Management**

They were the rudist hotel service employee's I have ever encountered.
The Hotel smelled of a strong Middle Eastern food
People running up and down the halls
Rude..Very Rude hotel employees
Dirty Rooms

I would sleep in the back of a UHaul if given the choice....Stay away as there is many other hotels in the area for $10.00 more.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere that people are awake when you arrive. If they can not even say thanks or offer to g...