“Quite and clean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Topeka
Prairie Village, Kansas
“Quite and clean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Was in town on business and they let us check in early due to the late nature that we would be getting done. The room was nice and clean. It was quite even though there were teams staying there for various sporting events. The breakfast had a good variety of both hot and cold items.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Hesston, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

We arrived after my in laws on a Friday evening. My inlaws booked the room and prior to arrival called us and let us know that the room had been taken care of and to ask for Sarah when we arrived. My husband went inside to check in and Sarah was unavailable. The girl at the front desk (Kristin?) asked my husband for his credit card and my husband informed her that the room should have been taken care of. She said the credit card was only for incidentals and the amount would fall off in 5 days. He reluctantly handed over the card and a $150 hold was immediately placed on our card. We assumed that it would fall off in 5 days. We then unpacked our children and belongings and headed to our room. The lobby was as expected and the staff friendly as we entered the hotel. Our room was on the second floor and we took the elevator up without incident and everything was as expected for a Marriott chain. We arrived to our room and was immediately disappointed as I picked the Courtyard for several reasons but one major was I wanted to ensure my 2 yr old could roam freely(without shoes) and I would not worry about the floor being 'gross'. The room was clean but VERY dated and the bathroom toilet didn't flush properly, the a/c was running on high when it was in the 40's and had been snowing earlier that day. The beds were comfortable but if you moved all the bedding moved with you as there were no fitted sheets. The pillows were very comfortable and there were plenty which is a huge plus in my book. We were up by 6am as we had an event to attend and met my inlaws in the lobby for breakfast. We got a few coffees, 3 bagels and a yogurt for $20+ due to the fact our $120+ rooms did not come with the breakfast buffet and we weren't wanting to pay $75+ for breakfast for our family of 5 plus the parents. Overall our experience was mediocre and I do prefer other chains. When we arrived home and I checked our credit card I found the $150 hold removed but the $120+ room charged had been applied to it. I called and was told more than likely it was a lack of communication on the staffs end. We were credited the amount back and offered a discount for a return visit. I was pleased that we were not dismissed but disappointed with the hassle. Will continue to stay at my preferred hotel chain but may consider staying at the Courtyard again.

• Stayed October 2013
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

All right, that sounds childish to complain, but fresh brewed free coffee makes me more than
average happy and this Courtyward doesn't deliver that. (The coffee in the bathroom coffee service was weak at best.) There is a small restaurant in the lobby for breakfast, etc., but I guess I've come to expect good free coffee in the morning.

That said, The staff was great and my room was quiet and spotless.

I counted seven restaurants within five blocks; chains and fast food but with variety in price and cuisine. The hotel is next to a shopping mall with a Dillards, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a long road trip. Pretty basic room. Bed was too soft for my taste. But overall it served the purpose. It was quiet. The location was convenient to the interstate and there are restaurants within walking distance. The lighting in the room was dull but adequate. The room looked a bit worn and could use a bit sprucing up. But again, it served the purpose. We stayed here because it was priced competitively for what we needed.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joplin, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Expect your typical remodeled Courtyard lobby but with Fairfield room accommodations... Slow to average wifi, paper thin towels, hard beds, plastic shower heads, spartan furnishings, no ipod/iphone charger/clock, corner wall mount AC/heater... Overall, the very minimum level for a Marriott property.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hays
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This location is great and I love the restaurants being so close to the property. The staff has always been pleasant and very efficient. The rooms have always been very nice and clean. Plus, as an added bonus, they are remodeling the property and I never once heard any construction noise. Kudos - keep up the good work!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Scott R, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Topeka, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
We love our location as well! Thank you for the great comments. We work very hard at making sure our hotel is top notch, and our only reward is the gift of your critique. While we believe remodeling is important, we feel that our guests are more important. We set very strict rules so that our improvements are always looked upon as a good thing, and not a distraction.
Easton, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very disappointing. Convenient to US 70 if you are traveling but there are other places just as convenient. Check in people were friendly but bartender was grumpy. Only places to eat within walking distance are Olive Garden and Red Lobster. Air conditioning was ridiculous-it stopped and started every minute all night long prohibiting sleep. Finally gave up and got back on the road.

Room Tip: none until they install new AC units
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I am very dissapointed that we did not provide you with a great experience. We value all opinions and act switftly to resolve issues. I certainly apologize for the grumpy bartender. This has been addressed with the entire staff. We will monitor this to ensure that no associate would ever be viewed in that way, we believe in the opposite and have great success on a consistent basis. I also apologize for the air conditioner. These are new units and we are still learning the correct settings for optimal operation. We have resolved the issue you spoke of, and I am terribly sorry that our lack of knowledge caused you a bad nights sleep. We value our guests greatly and that is the last thing we would allow. I sincerely hope that you would give us another opportunity to showcase our great services and rooms.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Topeka? Share your experiences!