“Topeka's Deli” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 308 Restaurants in Topeka
Topeka
“Topeka's Deli”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have been going to this bar/deli/general store my entire life! When I was a child, I would go there with my great-grandma and get a cold plate and a root beer and sit in the bar. I loved putting my own mustard and mayonaise on my tiny little half sandwiches with a variety of deli meats and cheeses (you get several meats, cheeses, and 4 (or more?) slices of both white and wheat bread) I have been bringing my children there for the same little ritual for the last 14 years and we always find this quick lunch down in North Topeka a refrshing hour of family time in the wooden booths. Occasionally, I go to the deli counter at the back of the store and buy sandwiches, pickles, chili and deli sides (beans, potato salad, etc) for work friends and take them back for everyone. The prices are great, with a sandwich or cold plate being 3 or 4 dollars each. All of the food is fresh and made with care and the people are genuine and congenial. If you are a native Topekan, you should try making places like Porubsky's, Taco Villa, Hermans, and Bobo's part of your "eating out" budget and support local businesses which have shaped our community for the last 50 years. It is places like this that remind me why I am proud to be from our little corner of Kansas. (Don't forget they are only open from 11 am to 2 pm for lunch and they are open on Saturday, not Sunday and I don't think they are open Monday, but they have been around a long time, they deserve days off :))

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Lawrence, Kansas
“A deli before Topeka had deli's!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

An old grocery store deli in "Little Russia" area of northeast Topeka is an institution since 1947. The deli meat sandwiches are piled over an inch thick with freshly-cut meats, and in-season, the locals pile in Monday - Thursday for the house-made chili and hot pickles. Decor is shabby, you may sit at a large table with strangers, but the food is quick and good. During the lunch hour, neighborhood people rub elbows with business people, construction workers and railroad employees - all vying for those 25-30 seats. If you've not been here before, use MapQuest because there's only one road in and out of the neighborhood.

Visited July 2012
Paxico
“Old style good food that is rare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

They make a Chili that will have you talking about for years, their hot pickels are unlike any I've ever seen before, I love this place.
I went there during a snow storm around lunch time and there was a line a block long waiting to get in for their amazing food.

Topeka, Kansas, United States
“Must see if you're in Topeka.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

If you're ever in Topeka porubsky's is a staple of the city. It's been around forever in the community. It's an amazing little restaurant and their chili is the best in town!!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Topeka, Kansas
“Topeka landmark”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

It's one of Topeka's best-known restaurants, even though it's one of those "hole-in-the-wall" kind of places. Chili and cold plate are good, and the hot pickles are unforgettable.

Visited November 2011