“Best Restaurant in Topeka, Priced for Special Occasions” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 308 restaurants in Topeka
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Eclectic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Topeka, Kansas
“Best Restaurant in Topeka, Priced for Special Occasions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

My husband and I tried Row House for the first time recently. We were blown away by the experience. The building itself has a historic past and since we were visiting during the last dinner service, our server was happy to give us a tour after the meal. Next time we plan to request the main level window table (one of the most requested tables in the house) or the private room for two.

What we enjoyed most were the atmosphere (although we were in the lower level where tables are very close together; would request seating elsewhere next time as mentioned above), high level of personal service (the waiter explained not only what was in each dish but how the creation was inspired), and the taste of the food. I like that the menu changes every week and is based on what is fresh, sometimes even what's available locally (the night we were there the basil in our soup and the greens accompanying our red beans and rice were plucked fresh from the restaurant's backyard garden).

The price of the meal is high compared to other places in Topeka, but the value and the experience of the evening were worth it. We plan to forego a couple drive-through meals and a sit down dinner or two each month to be able to enjoy the RowHouse again and again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
Raytown
“Special Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Food and service were excellent. Contemporary American tasting menu at a supreme value. Meals of this caliber in Kansas City would be at least 150.00 per person and it was 37.00 for the entire 6 course tasting menu. Everything was very fresh and house made. I would go back.

Visited April 2013
Lawrence, Kansas
“Excellent food. Good service. Wait staff finally keeping hands to themselves.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Tasting menu was delightful. I very much enjoyed the variety. Ambience was perfect. My dining partners were pleased.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Concordia, Kansas
“A Buried Treasure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

From the moment we walked in,til leaving,this place was simply put....AWESOME!!! It was our anniversary and i wanted to celebrate it in a special way. Boy were we blown away! This place is fabulous! We were greeted at the door as if we were invited to dinner! It was literally like going to visit friends!I made the reservations a week in advance,with no problem!Who would have thought,that such a restaurant would be tucked amongst these unpretentious yet elegant rowhouses!! If you are looking for a quiet,romantic, intimate restaurant,then look no further! As a matter of fact,one review I read,said that he/she felt as though other diners could overhear them...And that person has no idea how right he/she was!! We were overheard!!!Speaking in German,because during the course of the evening,a couple at the table across from us spoke to us in German as they were leaving! So this place is very intimate! To Flint,Jesse,Rusty and all the others I did not meet,GREAT JOB! You guys made sure we weren't in the dark! They explain and describe every portion of the meal as they bring it.And we were STILL surprised when it arrived!haha. Now,if you're like most folks,you've grown accustomed to huge portions piled high on a plate. Not here!! But you will leave comfortably satisfied,without being so overstuffed that you have to loosen your belt! They even brought us an extra dessert..because of our anniversary!Like I said,very attentive! One thing I did miss....They didn't help my wife into her coat,maybe it's an American thing,but since he brought it to us.........just saying..... But aside from that,it was a very pleasurable dining experience.It is going to be very hard to top this!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lawrence, Kansas
“Surprisingly good for Topeka.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nice, intimate restaurant with sophisticated tasting menus. Wine list had some nice surprises on it, but otherwise nothing special.

A word of advice to the owners: Tell your wait staff to keep their hands to themselves. I do not like to touched by strangers in familiar ways. It pretty much creeps me out. Also, I get uncomfortable trying to decide whether to make an issue of it or not. Even my wife noticed, and asked why the waiter had his hands on me.

• Visited November 2012