“Surprisingly good for Topeka.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, International, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Lawrence, Kansas
“Surprisingly good for Topeka.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nice, intimate restaurant with sophisticated tasting menus. Wine list had some nice surprises on it, but otherwise nothing special.

A word of advice to the owners: Tell your wait staff to keep their hands to themselves. I do not like to touched by strangers in familiar ways. It pretty much creeps me out. Also, I get uncomfortable trying to decide whether to make an issue of it or not. Even my wife noticed, and asked why the waiter had his hands on me.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Kansas City
“I can't believe this restaurant is in Topeka”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I have eaten at Rowhouse twice. Each time the food and overall experience was excellent. There are so many mediocre (at best) restaurants in Topeka. Rowhouse sets itself from the rest - by a mile.

• Visited December 2012
“Place was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Heard about this place on here and decided to take my girlfriend there. Never been to a place like that and the service was great! When we arrived we were walking to the door and the chef met us at the door and greeted us by name (hello so and so) then he took us to our seat. The server was great,he explained each dish very well as each one came, he even recommended a different beer that accented each dish well! The food was amazing, my girlfriend hates fish and she even enjoyed the mahi mahi..wow, the place blew my mind! I do think it felt like you were being overheard by the other people but I really could've cared less...it was one of the coolest experiences either one of us have ever been to, especially in topeka! The price is definitely worth the experience! Go on Wednesday its cheaper and you get a lil bit of everything. Oh yeah, and make a reservation...

Topeka, Kansas
“Not so good today”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Have loved the Rowhouse, but tonight was a bummer. The menu was not Chef Greg's, and obviously so. The very arrogant, full-of-himself waiter said the 2 chef's who came up with the menu had been in Nashville (or somewhere) visiting 17 restaurants in 3 days. We weren't impressed. Pears for the appetizer and for dessert. Soup was excellent. The beef entree was underwhelming and the salmon was, well....a chunk of frozen salmon, unadorned, baked in the oven at home would have been better. One of the desserts was some hard, cold caramel stuck to the little paper cup it came in. The waiter had an air of self-importance, and was challenging and defensive at times. It's always to celebrate a special occasion that we go to Rowhouse - this was very disappointing.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Prairie Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

We live in North Carolina and have a vaction home in Colorado. Occasionally we drive and have found few noteworthy dining options along the very long I70 corridor in Kansas. Our Rowhouse is experience is the only meal in that area that was really memorable, and it's the only restaurant we would make a point of returning to if open. The problem is that it's only open evenings Wednesday through Saturday. Certainly excellent by local standards and pushing excellent for just about any area of the country. Inventive cooking with fresh local ingredients and excellent service. More expensive than a mid-range chain restaurant but very much in line with what one would expect to pay for this quality. In fact, our meal was substantially less that one would expect to pay for a comparable meal in one of the larger cities on either coast.

• Visited June 2012