“Nice Hotel but got lied to during booking” 3 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tupelo
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1013 North Gloster St., Tupelo, MS 38804   |
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Tupelo
Memphis, Tennessee
“Nice Hotel but got lied to during booking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

We booked 4 rooms over the phone for a week stay and asked if we could have tax free room charges, the attendant on duty said sure no problem and said that he added it to our reservation as long as we brought out tax exempt forms. We arrived and checked in and a different person working said she saw the reservation and everything was good. As we were checking out 5 days later we noticed the taxes were back on the receipt after payment the desk worker stated her manager says he can't take taxes off even for tax exempt stays. It seems like some underhanded stuff going on at that point so the four of us just said ok and paid. I really don't like surprises especially when it's with money. If the hotel does not allow tax exempt stays then I would have liked to know prior to the stay and we would have chosen I different hotel that does because there are many down there that do, if not all of them.

P.S. The tread mill is broken, the desk attendent said it has been for some months and is awaiting a workorder I was told. The hotel is lucky I am not a injury lawyer junky and suid for the belt slipping an smashing my face into the panel on the tread mill. "A out of order sign would have been nice"

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011 via mobile

Stopped in for 1 night stay. Room accommodations were fine. I was pleasantly surprised with the hot breakfast they had that included fresh waffles, hot biscuits and gravy, eggs, sausage and a variety of other items.

The staff was very attentive, friendly, and everything was well maintained. The hotel was non smoking but had a nice area outside for smokers with comfortable seating.

The only negative was that it didn't have wi-fi offered. However the overall stay was great.

• Stayed July 2011
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had two rooms for 1 night and found them to be clean with comfortable beds and very large rooms. The hotel was very safe as we were a group of women and small kids. The breakfast was fine but nothing to write home about. It was about 5 min. to the Elvis birthplace musuem and the downtown area. I would stay again if in Tupelo.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Zeewolde, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed here 2 weeks ago during our vacation.
The hotel was nice and clean.

Breakfast was good for a free one and there was even a happy hour at 5 with free drinks and some snacks.

The room was spacious en the beds comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011 via mobile

Reserved two double rooms. Arrived at 10:30 after driving 14 hours from Florida. Got my parents checked into room 419; nice clean room, no smells. Then we went to room 417, reeked of dog urine as soon as we went into the room. Went downstairs to get another room, no more doubles available. Moved to room 401, a king size room with a fold out couch. Showered/bathed and my son said the king size bed smelled like dog. The comforter and bed was covered in dog hair, not just a couple hairs, but covered. Don't know how housekeeping missed that. Dragged the hairy comforter and dog smell to the front desk. Front desk attendant called manager but out of options since hotel full. Finally went to sleep after midnight. Kids said floor was more comfortable than fold out couch.
Breakfast was good, waffles, sausage patties, eggs, biscuits and gravy, banannas, apples, and the usual.
Ended up not being charged for either room; offerred to pay for my parents room. Front desk staff was very helpful. I was reassured that Mike the owner would know of the housekeeping concerns. We were asked to try the hotel again. Did not realize that all LaQuinta's are pet friendly. We have dogs ourselves and usually don't complain.
The front desk attendant stated that dogs aren't allowed on the fourth floor but guests sneak them up the back entrance. We saw two dogs within a couple of minutes on the fourth floor hallway.

• Stayed June 2011
laquintinntupeloms, Webmaster at La Quinta Inn & Suites Tupelo, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites Tupelo for your recent stay in our area.

1) Desk staff received our commendation on the way they treated you, our valued guests.

2) Housekeeping received extra training in the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

I am sorry that you had the business with the dog remains to deal with, but I am very proud of the way our staff handled the situation. I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at La Quinta Inn & Suites Tupelo. I think you will be greatly pleased. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Hotel Manager.
Biloxi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This property meets LaQuintas' standards for cleanliness and repair. It's quiet enough if you just avoid the ground floor pool end of the building. The door there slams so hard when other guests and and go that the walls actually shake.

Breakfast offers many options, from scrambled eggs and sausage to yogurt. I was disappointed to see no syrup for the waffles, though.

I got my best price by walking in and asking for the best price. I usually prefer to make reservations ahead, but there are so many hotels in Tupelo that not finding a decent room is not really a problem.

The pool,by the way, is too small for laps, but perfect for kids... of which there are many. I would have liked to soak, but preferred not to mingle.

Ilike La Quinta. I'd stay here again, and I'd recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool end of the building!