“My Favourite City!” 5 of 5 stars

Boston, MA
Toronto, Canada
“My Favourite City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

Boston is a city that I absolutely love traveling to! I travel to Boston about once every 6 months and have an incredible time each Im there.

My first stay I took in the tourist sites. My top recommendation to get a feel for the city would be taking the Old Town Trolley Tour. http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

Tickets are about $36.00 and it is a hop on hop off tour so if you see somewhere you would like to get off its that simple!

One of my favourite things to do in Boston is to catch a Red Sox, Celtics, or Bruins game.

I also recommend setting aside an entire morning to just walk around! Boston is a city that is fairly compact and easy to get around. Beacon Hill has some beautiful homes and the North End as well. There are little bits of history throughout the city including Paul Reveres home, cemetarys and the Freedom trail the goes throughout the city.

The bars and pubs in the area are a lot of fun, but a warning you will need your passport as ID if you are from out of state...it may be out of country. But I definitly needed it being from Canada, my drivers license wouldnt work. And most places ID everyone, even if your mid to late 30s.

There is also lots of great shopping. DSW at downtown crossing is incredible, floors of designer shoes at amazing prices! Newbury Street is also a popular spot if looking for designer shops.

My favourite restaurants include Eastern Standard (Back Bay). The Ivy (Downtown), Jer-Ne in the Ritz-Carlton (Boston Common) and for a more casual meal Intermission (Theater district). Southstreet Diner is also great as its open 24/7 for those late nights. Durgin Park (Fanueil Hall) is a Boston trademark and I swear they have the BEST Boston Cream pie!

My favourite pubs and bars include Whiskey Park and the Estate on the more upscale side and the Greatest Bar for those post sports game nights. There are a lot of other great options as well.

Paris, France
“Lively and fun, but not overwhelming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

I really love Boston because its a young energetic city, without the anonymity and chaos of bigger cities like New York. Each different area of Boston has a different feel to it: The North End, Fenway, Brighton, and downtown are all unique areas with different experiences to offer. Its small enough that its easy to get from one place to another, but I'm still discovering new restaurants, fun shopping areas, and cool sites and museums.

middlesbrough
“Great Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Loved this city. Very walkable even though we were there at an extremely cold time of year. Very well geared up for tourists with loads to do of all ages. The t bus was very easy to arrange using our Charlie cards. Bostix gave us access to some half price theatre tickets ( the Opera house is worth seeing for its plush interior alone. The Improv Asylum should be a must see fro comedy events (the have a web site the drinks were cheap there too. A visit to the top of the Pru building is also a must do and has a great museum well worth a look and gives a great audio feel to the city. The highlight of our trip was to see an Ice hockey game ( a first for us). This was a fantastic night which we could not believe ( the Boston Bruins won as well which added to the excitement). This was a great insight into the culture of Bostonians and there every day life although the tickets can be a little pricey. Forget New York hit Boston you will not be disappointed

scotland
“Boston MA in the winter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

We visited Boston for a couple of days at the start of Feb. Firstly it is a very interesting place to visit. Packed with so much history and packed into a very small area.
Unfortunately at that time of year it was bitterly cold and although it looked pretty with all the snow, it made getting anywhere very tough.

That said, I'd love to return in warmer climes, to see the many areas of interest we simply couldn't fit in for either time reasons or the weather.

We had no option but to take the Trolley Bus tour of the city. This traverses Boston in a large figure of 8, and is packed with loads of information from the guide/driver. You can hop on and off at various places or as we did spend the majority of the time on the Trolley Bus as it was too cold to get off!

So for Brits it's a very colonial place, which is confusing to navigate around, and I imagine very pleasant in warmer weather.

We stayed at the Doubletree Hotel on Washington St. A tad more expensive than staying further out of the center but we thought it was very convenient ie 50 yds from a subway. The subway is very cost effective, clean, safe and efficient.

Townsville, Australia
“Boston - What a City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Boston was an awesome city to visit.
We only had a couple of days there which was the only disappointment about the place - we stayed right on the harbour in a beautiful hotel and soaked up the history of the city.
The Boston Harbor Hotel was our accommodation of choice and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The staff were welcoming and helpful, very courteous and friendly.
Our room was a deluxe oceanview room with an additional sitting area overlooking the harbour - it was spacious, beautifully furnished and well appointed.
Our time in the city was short, as I mentioned so we had to ensure that we were on the go as much as possible.
We utilised the trolley tours and found them very informative and cost effective. Our tour company was not the biggest, but I'm certain that worked in our favour as our trolleys were never overcrowded or too busy. The drivers were full of knowledge and passionate about Boston.
The tour gave us great perspective on what we would be able to explore given our time restraints.
A visit to the USS Constitution is definitely worth it. There are plenty of graveyards full of history, Paul Revere's house, the Holocaust Memorial, the list goes on..
The Freedom Trail is fantastic, although the trail stops and starts a little bit without notice so you have to keep your eyes open and fill in the gaps when the trail breaks down!
The Food Hall at Quincy Market is unbelievable!!! My husband is a pizza freak and the brick oven pizzas were the best in the country.
Plus the clam chowdah, sushi, lobster rolls (a bit over-rated i think!), and the other food delights are worth partaking in.
We loved the Boston Common and strolling around Beacon Hill and all of its history.
I will definitely re-visit this city, hopefully in the autumn.
I could really live here...

Been to Boston? Share your experiences!