“Great value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Quarters Boston

You added Club Quarters Boston to your Saves list
Club Quarters Boston
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   161 Devonshire Street, Between Milk & Franklin Streets, Boston, MA 02110   |
Special Offer
Book Now and Save More!
Ranked #61 of 77 Hotels in Boston
Nottingham, UK
“Great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2006

We stayed here for 3 nights over 4th July 2006, and were really pleased with both the location and the hotel itself.
When we arrived the lobby was a little chaotic - but its a small lobby and this was probably their busiest weekend of the year and we checked in fine with no hitches.
On arrival day there was only one elevator working - our room was only the the 2nd floor so we would have happily taken the stairs but we were told that there were not any that we could use - so we were left to wait around a lot for the remaining working elevator. The elevator was fixed after about 36 hours and this was only a minor inconvenience so we were not too concerned.
Our room was a good size, nicely decorated, very clean and with a very comfortable bed. Our room was at the front of the building overlooking the street and on just the 2nd floor - but the street was so quiet that it did not disturb us at all.
The lounge was pleasant and nicely furnished with a big TV, 2 computers with free internet and lots of leaflets and magazines with local information.
Location was great - near to the Freedom Trail, marketplace, downtown etc and just a few minutes walk from a subway station (just 3 stops to the airport). Generally the street and the area felt very safe, both in day and evening time.
The Elephant and Castle next door was convenient - we ate there on our first night as we had arrived late and found the staff friendly, the food good and the service quick. They were however closing down for a few weeks for refurbishment when we were there.
Overall, if you are looking for a functional, convenient, affordable hotel in central Boston this is the place for you!

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Forest Hills, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2006

Going through Hotwire, we found ourselves with a room at this hotel. After reading some of the reviews, I expected the worse. Surprise! The staff, while not the most engaging, were not rude at all. They were helpful and responded quickly to our concerns. We liked the room we were given..yes, it was small but it was quiet, clean, the bathroom was more than adequate (though they could be a little more generous with the towels), and the bed was very comfortable. Since I am not that fond of constant air-conditioning, the ability to open the window was a plus! And free wireless internet is always a welcome treat. Coffee, juices, and breakfast fare (cookies, fruit, muffins and danishes) were available in the Club Room in the morning. And while parking is not free, a 20% discount is available with the hotel's validation of your ticket.

We were able to walk easily to most sights--the Common, North End, Quincy Market-- and the various T lines were just a short walk away.

I would have rated this hotel above average but because the hotel is located in the Financial District, I did feel some trepidation walking back there at night. It was a little too quiet and desolate for me, even when walking with my husband. (Otherwise, the area did appear very safe).

• Stayed July 2006
NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2006

I stayed at Club Quarters Boston for 3 nights end of May. I had read the mixed reviews on this site and was a little apprenhensive. All in all it was absolutely fine: I had trouble checking in but I think that was Orbitz rather than the hotel itself. The lady behind the desk was efficient and invited me to wait in their club room while she sorted it out. The room itself was larger than expected, comfy bed and the bathroom was above average - ok you get a shower rather than a bath but who's going to be relaxing in a bath all night if you're in town to see the sights? I liked the very modern flat screen TV and the room was quiet EXCEPT for the g*d damn elevator bell ringing every time the elevator passed the eighth floor, regardless of whether it stopped or not. Tip: do not stay in any of 01 rooms ie 301, 801 - you'll get the elevator bell 24/7.

I only ordered room service once which was breakfast on Sunday morning provided by the pub next door. It was ok but nothing spectacular. I wasn't that bothered myself as I was purely using the hotel as a place to sleep and freshen up. If I had been spending more time in my hotel or staying longer I'd probably go somewhere else. The staff were friendly and efficient and the location was FANTASTIC - less than 5 mins walk to Quincy market. Recommended.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2006

We stayed at Club Quarters for only 2 nights, but what a fabulous time we had. The hotel is situated right in the centre of downtown & financial district, & you can easily walk to many of the main attractions, resaurants & bars.
The hotel itself we found to be very clean & the room was very comfortable. It had all the things we needed for our stay. The staff we found to be very helpfull & friendly. Considering its fantastic location, I thought it very reasonably priced having paid only $415 for our 2 night stay.
We stayed here during Bostons record breaking rainfall but even that could not dampen our spirits. We would defiantly stay here again.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

If you're looking for a grand club quarters experience, you'll find the understaffed Club Quarters Boston isn't going to make you stay amazing. The location, however, compared to suburbian hotels for just fifty dollars less a night in many cases, will make your stay here worth it! You are literally two blocks away from the Freedom Trail, down in the financial district on a safe Central business district road.

Checking in took us some time. We got there on a Friday night. One elavator wasn't working. The card machine for rooms wasn't working well either. The two gentlemen working the front desk were very courtious and apologetic. They were doing the best anyone could do checking in hoards of guests, dealing with grumpy businessmen who could stand having to wait a minute or two for the one working elevator, manning the phones, conceirge requests, etc. They did this all in a very professional manner.

The room was small and economical. You get two towels, one wash cloth, one hand towel, two pillows, a comfy bed, small TV, mini fridge, shower (no bath,) coffee machine and that's it. You'll not get anything extra here. So if you're OK with that (my fiance and I were) you'll be fine. If you''re higher maintenence, you'll hate this place.

The only reason I rate the Club Quarters with an average score, rather than above average considering their location, was because of our check out experience. A wedding party was staying at the hotel that weekend as well. When we checked out one woman who was cold as ice was "helping" (or not helping) the Mother-of-the-Bride with reservations that had been messed up in their system. For 5-10 minutes this woman went from not being able to help the mother to fixing it once she figured out how. She had a chip on her shoulder, made everyone else in the lobby wait without any awknowledgement, including the Fedex service who had a package for the bride. In front of the mother of the bride, she tried to look the bride's name up in the system and asked the mother (still waiting for the one elevator) if she knew this guest. Yes, it was the bride. After spending that long helping the wedding party, how can she not know? Wouldn't any hotel have the wedding party's name at the front desk? If you're looking for a place to host an event, DO NOT do it here! This woman clearly did not care about service, karma, kindness, people, anything....cold as ice.

So that's the impression I left with.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

This hotel is indeed stingy. The "Guest request closet" was almost entirely empty- no pillows, no blankets, no irons- only a few coffee packets on the door. When I called down to the desk to request an additional pillow, they said they had run out of pillows. What kind of hotel runs out of pillows???

That said, decor was nice, the beds comfortable, and location good.

• Stayed April 2005, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

I had read good and bad reviews about the service at this hotel before I made the reservation. I figured for the price i was paying, if the clerks were rude, that would not really matter to me because we would be sightseeing most of the time and would not be in the hotel anyway. I was wrong. I found out friendly and quality service is something that is very important to me. The clerks were very arrogant, rude, unhappy, and unhelpful. I made several requests and it fell on deaf ears. There were two people staying in our room. They had initially stocked the room with one towel and one washcloth. Repeated requests for more linens each day only brought one more towel and one more washcloth. They are very stingy with the linens. The restaurant near the lobby, Elephant and Castle, is very very bad. The servers were friendly enough, but the service was very very slow and the food was not very good. We would not stay there again, ever. However, the room/hotel was clean and it was in a very good location. Only three blocks from the subway and about six blocks from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market. If you are looking for friendly clerks and quality service, this is NOT the hotel for you.

Been to Club Quarters Boston? Share your experiences!